Brake Caliper Question

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
My 2007 uses part number #45215-MAJ-G41, for the brake caliper pin, and #45150-MCS-G01/G02 for the caliper body.
I thought I'd "upgrade" the pins from a 2009 model year because they don't have the allen head, but rather a really nice 8mm bolt head.
They arrived today. Part number #45215-MBT-D51.
The 2009 caliper calls for part number 45150-MCS-R01.
Here's my question...the new pins are approx 1/32 of an inch longer, no biggie.
They fit all the way through and are flush on the outside of the caliper body, just like the OEM pins. However, the 07 pins have a "step" if you will, thats approx 1/2 inch long on the end by the o-ring. The 09 pins have the same step, but its only approx 1/4 inch long. Will this make any difference?
The 07 & the 09 use the same caliper part number, except for the last (3) digits.
The 07 is G01, the 09 is R01.
Anybody know what these last three part numbers mean.
Thanks for any comments.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
In 2008 honda changed the style of caliper from the two piece clamshell that bolts together to an all new one piece affair. I am sure this is your problem. If the new pin will work in the old style caliper I do not know.
I quess only Honda knows the rational behind there part numbers.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The last three alpha numerics indicate revised parts superseding earlier ones, the change being a parts revision in the first two characters and/or vendor ID in the third character.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The last three alpha numerics indicate revised parts superseding earlier ones, the change being a parts revision in the first two characters and/or vendor ID in the third character.
Once again in english please :doh1: So it the caliper part numbers are the same except for the last three digits, do you think the pins will interchange? They appear to fit, and go all the way to the end.
Thanks for the reply.
Have a great weekend.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know a little about what the part code means but that does not extend to whether or not these parts interchange. I suggest you call Honda or use your best judgement.

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
What was wrong with the allen head? I wouldnt start guessing and interchanging parts where brakes were concerned If you cant be absolutely certain..

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
My 2007 uses part number #45215-MAJ-G41, for the brake caliper pin, and #45150-MCS-G01/G02 for the caliper body.
I thought I'd "upgrade" the pins from a 2009 model year because they don't have the allen head, but rather a really nice 8mm bolt head.
They arrived today. Part number #45215-MBT-D51.
The 2009 caliper calls for part number 45150-MCS-R01.
Here's my question...the new pins are approx 1/32 of an inch longer, no biggie.
They fit all the way through and are flush on the outside of the caliper body, just like the OEM pins. However, the 07 pins have a "step" if you will, thats approx 1/2 inch long on the end by the o-ring. The 09 pins have the same step, but its only approx 1/4 inch long. Will this make any difference?
The 07 & the 09 use the same caliper part number, except for the last (3) digits.
The 07 is G01, the 09 is R01.
Anybody know what these last three part numbers mean.
Thanks for any comments.
igf-
Current Honda motorcycle part numbers are briefly explained here: http://www.groupwracing.com/hondapartnumbers.html
Honda general part numbers are of a different format, and generally apply to more than motorcycles (such as "94201-20150" for a commonly used cotter pin)

For example, 45150-MCS-G01 can be explained rougly as follows, in order:
  • 45 refers to the function number, specifically front braking system
  • 150 refers to a 'randomly' assigned number to this specific part of the front brake system, the "caliper sub-assy"
  • MCS refers to the Honda Product Code of ST1300 (meaning this part was originally designed to fit an ST1300)
  • G0 refers to the print/drawing/spec level
  • 1 refers to the vendor number or perhaps supplier contract period...it changing is supposed to have no bearing on whether the part fits.

So G02 should fit the same as G01.

You provided these 3 part numbers for the various year's pins...
45215-MAJ-G41 (MAJ is ST1100)
45215-MBT-D51 (MBJ is XL1000V Varadero)
45150-MCS-R01 (MCS is ST1300)
As all three of these were originally designed for different front brake systems...they may be interchangeable as they are all for the front brake systems ("45"), two of which have exactly the same 'random' number ("215").

But it cannot be known from the part numbers alone whether these three different pin part numbers represent functionally equivalent parts. Given that the calipers have changed on the ST1300 over the model years, and Honda knows which parts fit the changed calipers, I recommend that you continue using the pin that fits your bike's model year.

Bike
ST1300
If the threads on the pins are machined in the same location and are the same gauge as the old ones. If you say they fit flush to the body, try installing the old (thin pads) and check they move naturally without binding on the new pins. If your old pins were notched or grooved they needed replacing anyway. The pins serve as guides for your pads to move laterally on. IMO I don't see a problem.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
igf-
Current Honda motorcycle part numbers are briefly explained here: http://www.groupwracing.com/hondapartnumbers.html
Honda general part numbers are of a different format, and generally apply to more than motorcycles (such as "94201-20150" for a commonly used cotter pin)

For example, 45150-MCS-G01 can be explained rougly as follows, in order:
  • 45 refers to the function number, specifically front braking system
  • 150 refers to a 'randomly' assigned number to this specific part of the front brake system, the "caliper sub-assy"
  • MCS refers to the Honda Product Code of ST1300 (meaning this part was originally designed to fit an ST1300)
  • G0 refers to the print/drawing/spec level
  • 1 refers to the vendor number or perhaps supplier contract period...it changing is supposed to have no bearing on whether the part fits.

So G02 should fit the same as G01.

You provided these 3 part numbers for the various year's pins...
45215-MAJ-G41 (MAJ is ST1100)
45215-MBT-D51 (MBJ is XL1000V Varadero)
45150-MCS-R01 (MCS is ST1300)
As all three of these were originally designed for different front brake systems...they may be interchangeable as they are all for the front brake systems ("45"), two of which have exactly the same 'random' number ("215").

But it cannot be known from the part numbers alone whether these three different pin part numbers represent functionally equivalent parts. Given that the calipers have changed on the ST1300 over the model years, and Honda knows which parts fit the changed calipers, I recommend that you continue using the pin that fits your bike's model year.
WOW! All I can say is thank you for posting this response :bow1: You have provided more knowledge on the part numbers than ANY of the honda shops, or mother honda could provide!
After carefully measuring them, and trying them both, It was found that they ARE interchangeable, and fit the same on either caliper.
Thanks again for the speedy and thorough response :1st:

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
What was wrong with the allen head? I wouldnt start guessing and interchanging parts where brakes were concerned If you cant be absolutely certain..
Nothing is wrong with the allen head, its just much easier to pull the pins with a small 8mm wrench than when the allen (less chance of stripping) and the rear pin is too close to the swingarm.
Besides the 8mm head just looks COOL :rofl1:

Top Bottom