Brake Humming

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Ok great knowledge pool of the ST world. I just changed my front brake pads for the first time. Watched the video's had my manuals followed the instructions. It really only took like 30 mins taking my time. So now my front brakes have a slight humming noise just when you first start to apply the brakes, and then goes away as you apply the brake harder. I only have about 30 miles on them as I just got done doing them yesterday. So what did I do wrong? Used antiseze, cleaned and lubricated the pins, make sure the caliper is working well. Is it just the pad vibrating on the spring clip? I put on EBC pads.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
There is some kind of silicone like anti vibration paste you can apply to the back of the pad, I've used it on my old CB but can't exactly remember what it's called. Others will chime in with that answer I suspect.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I am a factory pad man my self. For the few times we change our pads, the cost savings of after market pads isn't that much.
Go run them in hard and hot to see if they break in.

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Well the shop I use reccomends them and even my local Honda dealer said thats what they reccomend so I went with that. I have the same pads on the back for over a year never a sound! Weird.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
They might just need to be seated in. However, I have only ever used EBC pads once, not on an ST. I found them to be noisy. Once they were worn I went back to Honda pads and the noise went away. I have never used EBC again.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Might go away after they bed in. My dealer also tried to convince me to go with EBC I refused. I agree with the Go with the Original Equipment Manufacturers crowd as I also have never had a problem.

Bike
VStrom 650
I just put EBC HH on the rear of the WeeStrom, much better retardation than standard pads but I always ran Honda on my Pan 11. The rear brake on the Suzuki was non existent but the EBC work well.
I use this on the back of all my pads, one tube will last forever....
I rode a CBF1000 on standard pads and they would sizzle when first applied.
s-l1600.jpg
Upt.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I've used both OEM and EBC without any problem. Are the disks smooth? If there is any tiny ridge, it will cause this until the pads set in. Are the spring clips in properly. I recall a few years ago I didn't put them in right, and they made a similar noise.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Bed them in with some hard braking, see if that helps. Anecdotal evidence: I have found aftermarket brake materials to be harder and bite better than OEM in most machines. The aftermarket brake friction surfaces last longer. What pays the price is the rotor or drum. They wear out faster, and it costs more in the long run. I usually choose a soft, or the softest compound given a choice, and the rotors last a long time. Granted, I'm changing pads more frequently, but that isn't a problem I mind having. The soft pads are usually the cheapest as well. If you aren't racing, you don't need the CarbonCeramicMetallic NASA endorsed brake materials, organic will be just fine.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Bed them in with some hard braking, see if that helps. Anecdotal evidence: I have found aftermarket brake materials to be harder and bite better than OEM in most machines. The aftermarket brake friction surfaces last longer. What pays the price is the rotor or drum. They wear out faster, and it costs more in the long run. I usually choose a soft, or the softest compound given a choice, and the rotors last a long time. Granted, I'm changing pads more frequently, but that isn't a problem I mind having. The soft pads are usually the cheapest as well. If you aren't racing, you don't need the CarbonCeramicMetallic NASA endorsed brake materials, organic will be just fine.
I think I am on my 3rd set of oem at 85K miles. This last set will easily go to 100K miles. So 3 sets at 100K is pretty good is my thought.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
If you aren't racing, you don't need the CarbonCeramicMetallic NASA endorsed brake materials, organic will be just fine.
FWIW, the OEM pads are HH rated, so going to organic GG rated is a step down in braking power. In the distant past (late '90s) when forum members on ST-riders used the organic pads instead of the HH rated ones they reported inferior braking power and changed back to the HH pads.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use CeraTec grease on the back of pads, but for years I used to use a thin smear of copper grease.

1684261103195.png

Do you have the chromed thin backing plate clipped onto the back of the pads ?

The springs shouldn't be vibrating - they press down onto the top of the pads. I understand that the EBC pads may not be a perfect fit in the chromes retaianing clips at the 'deep' end of the caliper where the tab end of the brake pad fits. I don't know if this also applies to the 1100.

I only ever used EBC pads once. I took them out soon after. I didn't like them. I don't remember the details. I do remember that they were noisy.

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Ok so got home pulled the brakes reinstalled then promptly changed the brake fluid. It was a nice glass of tea color. Either way humming is gone and brake fluid is now replaced. Thanks as always for your thoughts and ideas.

:copper1:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
FWIW, the OEM pads are HH rated, so going to organic GG rated is a step down in braking power. In the distant past (late '90s) when forum members on ST-riders used the organic pads instead of the HH rated ones they reported inferior braking power and changed back to the HH pads.
That is interesting. However the point I was trying to convey is the Engineering dept at manufacturers spend a lot of time figuring out what will give the most effective braking while also taking into account rotor life, etc. The more is better mentality is usually liberally applied, and aftermarket is more than happy to sell more aggressive parts. If the EBC is available in the same material, go for it. Ive never looked into them as the overwhelming recommendation here is OEM works best. My bike will be due for pads shortly, maybe I'll try the EBC Ive never noticed a significant difference with organics in my other vehicles, but the rotor life appears much improved.

Top Bottom