Brake lever pulled back to bar after servicing brakes.

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oops. Not so much hard, but pointy - lots of weight per square inch. I wonder if I can use that excuse retrospectively ? Thanks for the correction. I've applied your recommended modification to the original post. Well spotted !

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok - nice and sunny today, and the roads were dry - essential for new shiny tyres.

I checked the cable tie on my brake lever. Cable tie was still tight, lever could not be pulled back any further. No change there. No sign of brake fluid round the calipers or hoses - all of which were cleaned and dried. The lever released and immediately felt firm.

So now convinced - thanks Peter for the reassuring analysis of What I had done - and I tentatively set off up the hill. Brake pedal felt good and released ok. Front brakes felt keen. So I had an hour out and kept testing them.

The bike felt brilliant with its new oil - Motul full synth 7000 10w40, oil filter, air filter, new coolant. It really felt smooth.
The final brake test came taking a narrow filter lane at the roundabout. I decided the car in front wasn't going to turn left and I was part way alongside, when he simultaneously turned the wheels and set off, squeezing me against the kerb and forcing a very hard stop. Brake Test passed. I gave a silent smirk when I clocked his registration plate. XX 00 ESN - I'm not going to reveal the first 4 characters. But once upon a time ESN had a special relevance for teachers - "Educationally Sub Normal". I wish all number plates revealed the ability of the driver !

Thanks to all who helped. In fact I had nothing to worry about, but something had happened, and I couldn't be certain that my explanation covered what I had observed. A memory issue, not a mechanical one !

Top Bottom