Brake light Options for ST1300 (Brighter and more visible)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
My bike is fitted with two additional sets of LED brake / tail / turn lights. One set is the Admore bar, mounted under the GIVI mounting plate. The other is also an Admore product, adding lights inside the reflectors / lenses in the lid of the GIVI.

I have been told the two sets together are very visible.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ST-Traveler said:
The only thing I noticed on the LED brake lights is that they are so bright it looks like the brakes are on all the time.
This will vary with different brands of LEDs. Only the brightest might confuse others. Most LEDs (headlights excepted) don't come close to this. Brighter LEDs aren't the problem. LEDs of any brightness or design that reduce the differential between tail and brake lights are the problem.

Andrew Shadow said:
For this reason I think that dding additional lighting dedicated to brakes is preferable to putting brighter bulbs in the existing brake lamp.
+1 In addition to generally increases surface area of brake lights and the resulting conspicuity this can also preserves the integrity of the factory brakelight system. And in the event of a bulb failure there are two or three more bulbs to maintain functionality.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Check out this brake light.
It's a little pricey even in USD. It's a fair bit cheaper without the bracket if you were to fab your own. I've actually seen this light on a smallish BMW ADV bike. The interesting part is the light while being a running (tail) light and brake light appeared to have the brake light wired as a tail light.

It made for a very bright tail light. While this defeats the purpose of a discrete brake light (just put another one somewhere else) it does fix one of the ST's problems - anemic tail lights.

Top Bottom