Brake Lights for Top Box...

Hi again, Guys.

What's the easiest & most efficient way to tap into the brake light electric wires...??

I have some connectors and want to wire in a pig-tail to plug into my top box with lights attached. (I have a flasher unit that will blink the top box brake lights a few times before turning solid red.)

I'd rather ALSO tap into a grounded wire, rather than ground to the frame. Call me silly if you want, but I don't care. I'd rather tap into the 2 wires for brakes - hot and ground.

Thanks.

The best way is to make a Y-cord with terminals that match those at a convenient place.

Otherwise, look for T-taps made for the wire gauge you're working with.

Hi again, Guys.

What's the easiest & most efficient way to tap into the brake light electric wires...??

I have some connectors and want to wire in a pig-tail to plug into my top box with lights attached. (I have a flasher unit that will blink the top box brake lights a few times before turning solid red.)

I'd rather ALSO tap into a grounded wire, rather than ground to the frame. Call me silly if you want, but I don't care. I'd rather tap into the 2 wires for brakes - hot and ground.

Thanks.
A good place to start:

I almost forgot. There is a spot you can tap into under the Tupperware by the frame (passenger side) but you're running wires a long way vs tapping the wires at the tail. There's a thread here somewhere about it. Someone made a little harness as shown below. I believe it's the connector for the rear brake switch. This info, and the below photos were provided in another thread, compliments of @STRider.

brake harness plug in 1663445485725.pngbrake harness plug in 1663445422488.pngbrake harness plug in 1663445649764.png

Last edited:
Be sure to put a small relay nearest to the place where you tap into brake wire and run fused power to the load side, that way if your wire to the box shorts out the OEM brake lights still work. plus it cuts the load on the OEM wiring down to almost zero (in the tenths). Just keep the trigger wire as short as possible.

There was yes for the top case a spoiler with brake light.
For this there was a connection cable with plug from mother Honda, which was plugged directly into the wiring harness of the brake and tail light. In the back where the plug connection for brake and tail light is.
Similar to the quartet wiring harness front left.
Whether that would have gone with you over the pond, no idea.

holm from germany

There was yes for the top case a spoiler with brake light.
For this there was a connection cable with plug from mother Honda, which was plugged directly into the wiring harness of the brake and tail light. In the back where the plug connection for brake and tail light is.
Similar to the quartet wiring harness front left.
Whether that would have gone with you over the pond, no idea.

holm from germany
Trying to find directions too.

1689188962837.png

Here is a good thread on OEM.

I almost forgot. There is a spot you can tap into under the Tupperware by the frame (passenger side) but you're running wires a long way vs tapping the wires at the tail. There's a thread here somewhere about it. Someone made a little harness as shown below. I believe it's the connector for the rear brake switch.

View attachment 316548View attachment 316549View attachment 316550
Trying to find directions too.

View attachment 316551
Here is a good thread on OEM.

@Obo those are pictures of my bike and the installation of the wiring for my Givi tailbox. You're more than welcome to steal them :D

Strangely, I fear your post in this thread was correct...

I'm convinced that Honda does (did?) intend you to cut wires for the OEM harness install. But as I've shown, you don't have to. I had the fortune/misfortune? to be installing a non-OEM counterpart to the Honda stop light and was motivated to find my own solution that didn't require cutting wires.

And after looking at photo of the harness from CMSNL, I think those extra connectors and terminals support the "cut the wires and install connectors" approach for the OEM. In the event the box and the harness are removed, you can reconnect the wires you cut using those connectors and be on your way.

The fact that those connectors on the harness are two terminal as opposed to the three terminal ones behind the cylinder head support that these don't connect to the same one I used.

Too bad searching for the instructions for 08E75-MCS-600 doesn't deliver anything useful.

Any OEM Honda Topbox owners out there with the directions, please scan and share!

@Obo those are pictures of my bike and the installation of the wiring for my Givi tailbox. You're more than welcome to steal them :D

And we appreciate you posting them the last time, proving me wrong that there was no place to plug in a harness :)
I had a copy of the photo in my "helpful items" directory but didn't recall who it came from.
I wasn't trying to pass the photo off as my own.

And we appreciate you posting them the last time, proving me wrong that there was no place to plug in a harness :)
I had a copy of the photo in my "helpful items" directory but didn't recall who it came from.
I wasn't trying to pass the photo off as my own.
No, I didn't think you were. I like that they were useful enough to be memorable. :D

Happy to contribute to the hive mind.

Reactions: Obo
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've been busy so slow to reply.

I'll see what I can do by myself and try to avoid paralysis anxiety from not having done or seen a task being done in person. I'll post my results.

Let me also ask, why does it seem like there are so many wires going to the back lights...?? There's only a running light, brake light, and 2 signal lights. But it seems like there's enough wires for 20 or more lights...

Let me also ask, why does it seem like there are so many wires going to the back lights...?? There's only a running light, brake light, and 2 signal lights. But it seems like there's enough wires for 20 or more lights...
What do ya mean @The Dark Shadow ? :)

The red are for the tail/brake lights and the amber are the turn signals? I don't know what you're talking about. :D

1689627753380.png

The best way is to make a Y-cord with terminals that match those at a convenient place.

Otherwise, look for T-taps made for the wire gauge you're working with.
This is best as you won't cut any insulation on existing wires and risk moisture getting in and causing green/black wire disease.

For newer models, you can get pre-made Y-splitters. Will have to make your own for older models. But results true plug-n-play installation and easy troubleshooting. If it doesn't work, unplug it and re-evaluate. No hacking of harness and causing shorts, endless blowing fuses and head-scratching.

uc

Last edited:
To make your own splitter for brake-light, you'll need these connectors and some hook-up wire. Connects to harness-connector, about 6" from at brake-light. Run one Y-leg as far as you need to reach top-box light.

2x male connector (plugs into harness, add one to top-box light): https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=220&page=2&category_id=49
2x female connectors (for original brake and top-box brake light): https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=217

MTW-2S.png
MTW-2P.png

If you're worried about shorts, add in-line fuse. Complicated relay circuits to isolate is just hedge against improper wiring and/or techniques. Some wiring-manuals I used in Army and later NASA's Ames Research Centre:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HaNVIxVWHuiCzJlg1WLV_2L7sAo-RJnA/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UVcnb91nGsjP-SfNmPhINBUfCWZt0-NG/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
This is best as you won't cut any insulation on existing wires and risk moisture getting in and causing green/black wire disease.

For newer models, you can get pre-made Y-splitters. Will have to make your own for older models. But results true plug-n-play installation and easy troubleshooting. If it doesn't work, unplug it and re-evaluate. No hacking of harness and causing shorts, endless blowing fuses and head-scratching.

CL-HT2W-1-SPLIT_1000x1000.jpg
To make your own splitter for brake-light, you'll need these connectors and some hook-up wire. Connects to harness-connector, about 6" from at brake-light. Run one Y-leg as far as you need to reach top-box light.

2x male connector (plugs into harness, add one to top-box light): https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=220&page=2&category_id=49
2x female connectors (for original brake and top-box brake light): https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=217

MTW-2S.png
MTW-2P.png

If you're worried about shorts, add in-line fuse. Complicated relay circuits to isolate is just hedge against improper wiring and/or techniques. Some wiring-manuals I used in Army and later NASA's Ames Research Centre:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HaNVIxVWHuiCzJlg1WLV_2L7sAo-RJnA/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UVcnb91nGsjP-SfNmPhINBUfCWZt0-NG/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for your input on this @DannoXYZ

Tapping into the brake light circuit has been covered rather well in some other threads, and other members and I have provided specifics on the connectors that will work with the OEM wiring harness without cutting wires.

There are only two places on the ST1300 that the brake light circuit can be accessed via connectors on the wiring harness:
  • At the rear brake light switch​
  • At the tail/brake light socket​
The connector at the rear brake light switch can be seen in msg #6 above in this thread. Its location on the wiring diagram is provided as well.

That one is a common three terminal Hitachi connector that can be easily obtained from sources such as Amazon and ebay for far less than the specialty suppliers. They require a decent crimper to make a solid connection, but it's worth it to buy one because if you start diving into your bike or auto wiring you'll want one anyway. The kit is idea for connecting accessories to the Quartet Harness for instance.

This kit from Amazon includes 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 pin connectors with terminals, as well as a number of in-line bullet connectors. I think it's a bargain at $18USD.

I asked for a set of crimpers with interchangeable anvils for Christmas and they've worked great for me. I can't locate my brand, but others like the one I reference look identical. I bet they all come from the same factory and it's only the logo laser etched into the tool that's different. The version without interchangeable anvils is cheaper, but less versatile.

Sourcing the connector at the taillight is a bit more challenging and I'd recommend the brake light switch connector first. The taillight connector is a much less common three terminal design. The female connector (which is on the wiring harness) is relatively easy to source. The male connector - which is actually what is molded into the sockets for the tail/brake and signal lights - is much harder to source as it isn't a standard connector. I was only able to find one domestic and one overseas source. From Cycle Terminal it's $11/each. The Japanese source was slightly cheaper per piece, but required a minimum $30USD order plus shipping around $20USD. I have a project which is more than simply tapping in to get the brake light signal, so I could justify the cost.

I cover that saga in this thread. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/help-locating-3p-honda-brake-tail-connector-mate.182589/

Good luck to you both

Tom

Last edited:
Ah, thanks! :thumb: I read too quickly and skipped over part in manual where to reach bulb harness one has to "remove rear fender A (page 2-8)".

My browsing of eBay used-parts has led me astray with finding some other bike's harness.

I suppose you can just snip wires near tail-light and add mating connectors across. I have to get into brake/tail-light wiring anyway since one of brake-bulbs is burnt-out. And I want to mount top-box to carry lots of refreshments for group-rides during this hot summer. So I'll add Y-splitter for its brake-lights. Will write this up with photos. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom