Brake noise

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
The last couple days I've gotten a (only way I know to describe it) groan from the rear brake, just as I roll to a stop. First thing I checked was if it's dragging, no, I can give it a spin, no dragging sounds, spins 2 or 3 times (with a easy push). SMC seems to be working as it should
System was flushed a couple months ago
Changed drive gear oil recently, no gear noise that I can hear
Bearings were checked not long back when I got new tires
Any ideas?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Check the disk surface. They will groan if the surface has grown some rust overnight. It clears within a few operations though.

Do you have the chrome backing plates fitted, and the white heat shields ?

It is possible that the pads are not sitting parallel to the disc surface. Check your pad spring is fitted the correct way round - you will need to remove the pads.
The wider strip of the spring should be closer to the pistons. But note the two little tags on the narrow strip. The inner pad backing plate has to fit behind those tags. Fit the spring pressing it to clip into the roof. Put in the outer pads, and insert the clean, smooth pad pin part way to hold the pad. Partly insert the inner pad and pull the caliper to lightly trap it against the disc surface. Rotate the wheel to take the inner pad with it. By trapping the pad against the disc, it makes sure the pad fits the correct side of those tags. Push the pad pin through to hold the pad. Make sure it is seated in the chrome retaining clip - look through the wheel spokes from the right.

What make of pads do you have ?

Take a look at this for some pics.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1300-maintenance-brakes-avoiding-the-pitfalls.135125/

That is step one.
If it doesn't fix it, report back, we might need to look at how the caliper bracket is seating.
It would help if you noted any uneven wear on the pads.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Check the disk surface. They will groan if the surface has grown some rust overnight. It clears within a few operations though.

Do you have the chrome backing plates fitted, and the white heat shields ?

It is possible that the pads are not sitting parallel to the disc surface. Check your pad spring is fitted the correct way round - you will need to remove the pads.
The wider strip of the spring should be closer to the pistons. But note the two little tags on the narrow strip. The inner pad backing plate has to fit behind those tags. Fit the spring pressing it to clip into the roof. Put in the outer pads, and insert the clean, smooth pad pin part way to hold the pad. Partly insert the inner pad and pull the caliper to lightly trap it against the disc surface. Rotate the wheel to take the inner pad with it. By trapping the pad against the disc, it makes sure the pad fits the correct side of those tags. Push the pad pin through to hold the pad. Make sure it is seated in the chrome retaining clip - look through the wheel spokes from the right.

What make of pads do you have ?

Take a look at this for some pics.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1300-maintenance-brakes-avoiding-the-pitfalls.135125/

That is step one.
If it doesn't fix it, report back, we might need to look at how the caliper bracket is seating.
It would help if you noted any uneven wear on the pads.
I pulled the pads,everything looks right, MAYBE the inside pad wasn't seated correctly (?)
I reinstalled them (after a clean up) and noise has stopped
I'll keep eyes on everything and report
Thanks for looking in

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sounds like the problem is gone. Did you service the bike recently - not long before you experienced the noise?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is easy to get the pad the wrong side of that forward tag if you do not know to look for it.

Thanks for feeding back.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Yeah, I changed rear pads, so I figured it was something I did
New pads need a little time to "settle in" as your rotor may/will have tine scratches from earlier use. Your new pads will be flat, so needs a little use before the rotor "scratches" will match the new pads.

Top Bottom