Brake pad installation question

Hi gang,
I pulled the wheels today to have a new set of tires put on. On reinstalling the wheels I discovered that the pads, both front and rear, are very thin and in need of replacement. The service manual is not very clear on this point so I'm looking to this experienced crowd for advice: Do I need to pull the wheels to replace the pads or can I do this just by pulling off the calipers?

If you've done one of these jobs already I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Pete, look at the calipers and you will see a small rubber plug. The plug covers a sockethead pin that anchors the pads. Remove the plugs. Using a (preferably a good quality) 5mm allen, remove each anchor pin and the pads will slide out easily. BEFOR YOU STart, push each caliper inwards to compress the piSTons. Do one caliper at a time. On the rear, remove the left saddlebag. If you feel the need, clean the piSTons with some brakefluid and a strip of cloth (shoeshine STyle) or use an old toothbrush (or your SO's juST don't tell :cool: )
Take your time and make sure the new pads are set into the caliper properly..Look from the other side to see they are in right.

PUMP THE BRAKES WHEN FINISHED AND BEFORE RIDING!!

If you have never topped off the maSTer cylinders, you are done. If you have topped them off, you may have to suck out a bit of fluid to allow for the thickness of the new pads.

HTH

Top Bottom