Brake Pads

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
So, because you and someone else has a brake dust issue, I'm supposed to change my experience?
Not at all....keep breathing the stuff if you'd like :shrug2:
I just find it funny that alot of folks purchase a bike and then think they know more than the designers and want to use cheaper aftermarket parts on it
instead of the parts that were made for it.
You pay your dollar, you take your chances.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I tried the EBC pads. What the Honda MC shop gave me as OEM, BTW but I like the actual OEM Honda pads better. I think they wear a tad longer and are quieter. Hard to tell but that's what I think. What is the difference between the front and rear? They look pretty similar. Maybe the rear wear pads are a bit thicker?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I've put over 80k miles on the EBC HH Sintered pads, many of those miles in DFW, congested, urban warfare traffic. The EBC's have lasted longer than the OEM pads by a few thousand miles per set, stop as good (if not better than), in all conditions, the OEM pads. There is no noticable wear on the rotors, or should I say any more than I would expect from a bike with over 100k on the clock. They are still well above their wear limits.

If you prefer the OEM pads, run them, they are good pads. The EBC's are also, name brand, high quality pads and offer a good, alternative choice to the OEM pads. Run the set that works for you. Oh, and the EBC's are not that much less expensive than the OEM's.
Yeah, but they create more brake dust :rofl1:
I've used EBC pads on several other bikes, and like you, I've rolled up over 100K on a couple of them...
But they still create more brake dust.
I didn't say they were bad, just dirty.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I tried the EBC pads. What the Honda MC shop gave me as OEM, BTW but I like the actual OEM Honda pads better. I think they wear a tad longer and are quieter. Hard to tell but that's what I think. What is the difference between the front and rear? They look pretty similar. Maybe the rear wear pads are a bit thicker?
OEM rear is a lot thicker. EBC uses the same part for front and rear up to 2007 honda has two part numbers for front and rear.
EBC has a new part number for 08 and up for the front, don't know if their pad thickness has changed. fwiw EBC thin in the rear wears close to what the OEM thick one does for me. Maybe why the EBC make less brake dust? :rofl1:

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
OEM rear is a lot thicker. EBC uses the same part for front and rear up to 2007 honda has two part numbers for front and rear.
EBC has a new part number for 08 and up for the front, don't know if their pad thickness has changed. fwiw EBC thin in the rear wears close to what the OEM thick one does for me. Maybe why the EBC make less brake dust? :rofl1:
I certainly wouldn't pass up a set of EBC if I really needed them. Close enough.
Thicker ones OEM work on the fronts? They didn't look that much different to me, thickness.
Rear brakes last a long time for me but I don't use them much. LOL.
That's why my bike is always dirty, brake dust? Who knew?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
No. oem back fit back. front fit front. ebc fit front or back up to 2007. after that there is a new pad for the front

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
No. oem back fit back. front fit front. ebc fit front or back up to 2007. after that there is a new pad for the front
You know for certain the thicker ones will not fit the front? 2007 bike.
I've never tried it but looking at them they are the same thing except for the pads thickness, but if they don't fit they don't fit.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I went through one set of OEM and I'm more than half way through a set of EBC's. I find little difference in performance- if anything, the EBCs seem to grip a bit better. I get none of the noise some others complain about with the EBCs. My next set will be EBCs just out of convenience. I can have a set here in 2 days from Keel Brothers, vs. local dealer taking up to 2 weeks; or an online dealer taking a week to get here.

I've put over 80k miles on the EBC HH Sintered pads, many of those miles in DFW, congested, urban warfare traffic. The EBC's have lasted longer than the OEM pads by a few thousand miles per set, stop as good (if not better) than, in all conditions, the OEM pads. There is no noticable wear on the rotors, or should I say any more than I would expect from a bike with over 100k on the clock. They are still well above their wear limits.

If you prefer the OEM pads, run them, they are good pads. The EBC's are also, name brand, high quality pads and offer a good, alternative choice to the OEM pads. Run the set that works for you. Oh, and the EBC's are not that much less expensive than the OEM's.

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I have to laugh at the brake dust issue! If you're blowing off the rims, I hope your using a respirator mask as the dust has all sorts of bad things in it like copper. Washing would be a better solution so the bad stuff could get into the environment in the normal way...through the curb and storm water drains.

John

Bike
2004 ST1300

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
the dust has all sorts of bad things in it like copper
Oh great... there have already been thefts of catalytic converters in my office parking lot. Now I'm going to have to worry about my brake pads. :eek:

Rear brakes last a long time for me but I don't use them much.
When I first started riding, it was the front brake that most people didn't use. Ironic, no?

Bike
2006 ST1300
When I first started riding, it was the front brake that most people didn't use. Ironic, no?
You must have been riding cruisers. The fronts do well over 90% of the braking. If you were only using the rear, you might as well just drag your feet to stop.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
You must have been riding cruisers. The fronts do well over 90% of the braking.
I was taught in my MC Safety class (in the early '80s) to use both, and that the front brakes provided 55-60% of the stopping power. I recall the instructors saying that many older bikers only used the rear and that some older bikes only had a rear brake. And even in the class, there were several students afraid of locking the front and losing control or worse, flipping themselves over the handlebars. So, in part, thanks to the class and in part, thanks to necessity, I never developed the habit of just using the rear (or the front). The disk brake on the front of the CX500 is definitely better than the drum in the rear but you have to use both to stop quickly, and being able to do so without thinking has saved my butt several times. Fast-forward almost 30 years and brakes have improved by several orders of magnitude - just grabbing the front brake on the ST is able to stop me faster than I am sometimes comfortable with and so I've noticed a bad habit starting to develop (I find myself not hitting the rear brake pedal in straight-line deceleration and stops more often).

Bike
2006 ST1300
In the 80s brake technology was poor (many bikes still used drums F&R), tire technology wasn't up to today's standards, and the bikes themselves didn't handle like most modern bikes. Today's cages can do 80%+ with the fronts; most modern bikes, with the exception of long, low, heavy cruisers, can do up to 100% braking power with the front. How do you get 100%? Stunt riders call them "stoppies", when the front is braking so hard the rear tire actually comes off the ground:

VIDEO

Yes, proper braking technique is to use BOTH brakes; but under hard braking, the rear is barely doing anything; the front is doing almost all the braking.

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Technically, you can do 100% of the braking with either the front or the rear. You just won't stop as fast. :) If you use both at the same time, then I imagine with front (with two disks) is doing the bulk of the work - gotta be at least twice as much as the rear, right? ;-).

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
You'd have to look at pressure on the pads and swept area but yeah the front is the lion's share of the stopping force.

From a training perspective you'd rather be dealing with a locked rear than a locked front and older bikes didn't have the ability to do a stoppie so throwing more anchors out and cautioning the front brake use wasn't a bad approach for beginners. Particularly a cruiser with a raked front end and skinny tire. Unfortunately more than a few have a fear of the front brake and don't use a lot of their braking capability. The myth that the front brake is evil persists. (note I'm not advocating ignoring the back brake)

Bike
2006 ST1300
Its all a matter of looking to see what the weak link, or limiting factor, is. In the 70s, tires were a limiting factor- they were very skinny, poor rubber compound, poor tread design, and other factors. There was no need to have great brakes if they just locked up the tire. As tires improved, so did brakes. The front of any heavy or high performance bike usually has two disks, two calipers, and often times large calipers with several pistons because the front brake can, and does, do so much of the braking. Rears only have a single disk because they still can't do much of the braking, since weight transfer under braking moves traction to the front tire. Under hard stopping, its very easy to lock the rear wheel even with 1 disk and caliper, so why use a 2nd disk?

Stoppies, besides being entertaining stunts, show that modern front brakes not only have plenty of power to stop the wheel, but that the tires have plenty of traction to handle 100% of the braking. Even an experienced street rider in an emergency situation on a sport bike will be able to do 95-99% of the braking with the front wheel, because the fastest controlled stop will have the front tire doing as much braking as possible while keeping the rear tire on the ground- this would be about 99% front, 1% rear braking.

During normal day to day riding, much of the braking will be closer to 50/50, so its best to use both brakes about equally.

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I just installed a set of Sintered pads from E bay. $40.00 for 3 pr. I think the Company was calles Sixith or something like that. I am sure the pads are not as good as OEM. I dont know how they will last but I will find out.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
This is the price thru Direct Line Parts when they run their sales. This sale runs several times a year and I purchase brakes in advance anticipating the normal wear. I tried the EBC's way back and did not get near the mileage the OEM's supplied nor did I notice any better stopping. So it's been OEM since.

Honda rear brake pad set for the ST1300. FREE SHIPPING. 06435-MCS-G02....Reg. Price: $41.99....Discounted Price: $37.79 x 1 = $37.79

HO-8598419 - Honda front brake pads for the ST1300. (2 sets required).
FREE SHIPPING. 06455-MCS-G01....Reg. Price: $38.66....Discounted Price:
$35.76 x 2 = $71.52

Top Bottom