Brake problems after new pads - Hard lever now

ok, so I go in to have new tires installed.... it has been the only thing i let someone else do. Done everything else myself.

I had brake pads and asked the guy if he would cut me a deal on putting them in since the tires would already be off...

I get the call it's ready...

guy from shop pulls in as i pull up, out for a test ride...

I go in to pay....

i go to leave and the bike doesnt want to move as i try to back out...
i eventually get it back and start to pull off and stall the bike.
i grab the front lever and OMG, it's hard as a rock.. I play with it for a min, and go get the guys to look at it.
one guy says to the other, it's a linked brake system and to bleed the brakes real quick.
5 mins later, guy takes a test ride, and offers it to me to see what i think.... i think it's better but still tight.
i assume maybe the new pads are the reason.

I get home and start looking over the bike, and notice the right side rotor is hot, and can't touch it...
and the left side rotor i can leave my hand on as it is just barely warm.

i call the guy, and he says bring it back on tuesday.

after just reading several stories on bleeding procedure, i assume this is the problem.

I rather not take it back to these guys, as they apparently have no clue about this brake system.

after reading all the stories i am not sure i want to tackle the system myself either..

I don't want to take it to honda, but feel they should know the deal.....

does this sound like a proper bleed would fix this ? any idea what went wrong ?

anyone in South carolina (columbia area) that wants to help me bleed the brakes?

what advice do you fellas have ?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's the front wheel? Sounds like the wheel spacers on the left/right are switched.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
yea, front wheel.......will i be able to tell by looking at it? or taking a picture for u guys?
Yes, pics above... the collar on the right-side will have a longer exposed section.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Do you have ABS? Besides the spacer being switched on the wrong side, or worse, inside out, you need to check to make sure the caliper is not touching the body of the ABS ring, or damage will occur. Don't attempt to operate the bike until you get this sorted out. They also may have damaged or done something to your SMC on the left front brake caliper, make sure the piston isn't jammed or bent.
Let us know what you find.
Igofar

OP
OP
no abs...... i noticed the rt front rotor was dis colored before i left the shop and inquired about it, and got some lame excuse..... if this has been put together wrong, should i be demanding a new rotor and pads? what does the dis coloring mean? over heated? any damage other than color ?

what is the SMC ?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm sure your smc-secondary master cylinder - is fine IMO.

A case of someone not paying attention during assembly. I would see if they would spring for a new rotar just because but it's probably fine too. Hard to tell what it went through and if it's enough to cause damage. If it's a honda dealer, I'd ask for the world.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Discolored could definitely be caused by heat. Like a dragging pad.
SMC secondary master cylinder. The little plunger assy on the left front caliper mount.
When you squeeze the front brake the left caliper rotates a little, putting pressure on the plunger which operates the 2 pistons on the rear brake. I doubt they did anything to that.

Chances are good the rotor isn't warped and there's not that much wear to the pads if your trip from the dealer was short.

Post some close ups of the spaver and caliper alignment when you check it out.
If that's it I'd pull the wheel and correct the spacers before moving the bike.

Could be one fell out when the pulled they wheel and it got flipped and jammed back in.

Last edited:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
what is the SMC ?
SMC is the secondary master cyclinder.... its the bracket the L/F brake caliper is hanging on.
It functions when the front brake is actuated (moving only) by rotating the caliper forward and compressing the contained piston to send pressure to the rear pads.

But I don't think this is yr problem!
I go with the spacer or inproperly installed pads!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I don't know what a "real quick" brake bleed is.
Just a guess.. they cracked some bleeders and pushed on the caliper to move the pistons back.
If so you went right back to whatever the real issues is when you applied the brakes and put them back.

thinking out loud, is it possible to jam an oem rear pad set in the front?

If you can take some photos before you pull the wheel something may be obvious.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't know what a "real quick" brake bleed is.
Just a guess.. they cracked some bleeders and pushed on the caliper to move the pistons back.
If so you went right back to whatever the real issues is when you applied the brakes and put them back.
LOL... there's no such thing as a real quick brake bleed on the ST... not if you do it right anyway.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
There is but a real quick bleed is usually followed by a brake test then a real bleed. :D

Just throwing a dart but I wonder if some air got in there making the lever feel a little less stiff.

Bike
05 ST1300
Here's another possibility: If the brake fluid reservoirs were full when they replaced the pads, and they did not remove some of the fluid before they pushed the pistons back in, the reservoir could be causing a back-pressure and the 'quick-bleed' could have caused the reservoir to relax enough of the pressure to make it a little more driveable.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
hmmm...both the covers have a tiny square hole near the out board screw I assumed these would vent excess fluid but I never looked that closely. Maybe they just equalize pressure on the top side of the diaphragm?

Easy enough to check the fluid level with the bike and bars level thru the site glass.

OP
OP
fluid was at top level, cos i just a few weeks ago put the horizon st bars on myself, and had to bleed the top extension... he did mention cracking the bleeders and showed me fluid on the ground.

no matter what i find tonight, I will post up pics for ya'll to look at so u can advise me further....

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Good advice about checking collars. Related.... Is front wheel backwards? (Look at arrow direction on rotors).
:popcorn

Top Bottom