Brake rotors - OEM Vs EBC

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm aware of the differences for brake pads, but I'm in need of all 3 rotors.

The local garage wants an arm, three legs and a couple of teeth for the OEM rotors from Honda (£780 GBP on parts alone). I can see the EBC rotors online for less than half of that, and I've changed rotors before, it ain't a hard job. Shopping cart including oil/filter & air filter comes in around £420.

Anyone know of a reason I should spend twice the amount for the OEM rotors?

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
........... I can see the EBC rotors online for less than half of that, and I've changed rotors before, it ain't a hard job. Shopping cart including oil/filter & air filter comes in around £420.
EBC has a good reputation for rotors, I'll be looking for a rear rotor soon and that's a pretty good price for all that stuff. Can you post the URL for the site? Thanks.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Can you post the URL for the site?
I'm looking at wemoto.com, though I have seen slightly better prices, I've not heard of the retailers before, and for the sake of ~£3... I'll stick to the good retailers.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I don't see a problem using EBC rotors with EBC pads. I think the problems arise when you mix EBC and OEM.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I'm aware of the differences for brake pads, but I'm in need of all 3 rotors.

The local garage wants an arm, three legs and a couple of teeth for the OEM rotors from Honda (£780 GBP on parts alone). I can see the EBC rotors online for less than half of that, and I've changed rotors before, it ain't a hard job. Shopping cart including oil/filter & air filter comes in around £420.

Anyone know of a reason I should spend twice the amount for the OEM rotors?
I've always bought my pads, discs and lots of other parts from WEMOTO. They do some OEM bits for good prices too, but I ususally buy the pattern parts.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
This thread seems pretty conclusive.

Thanks all. I've used EBC a lot in the past (cars & bikes), but I know there can be issues with the EBC pads, so figured I'd ask.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I put an EBC rotor and EBC pads on the rear and the stopping power is just amazing.
The only thing I'd do different is replace the SMC also at the same time. I did the SMC about 6 months later due to it bluing the new rotor a bit.
Changing them together would of prevented the new rotor from being overheated.
Yes, I learned from pain.
I still have 2 brand new EBC front rotors on the shelf, just waiting for a rainy day to install them. The current OEM Honda ones on the bike are hovering right around 4 mm thick.
Nice thing about EBC rotors are they made from German steel and are machined in Germamy.
I picked each one up from a different person on eBay. Think they were in the range of USD $80-100 each.
I can tell you from experience, you won't go wrong using EBC brake parts.

migresch

"Carpe diem"
Bike
'04 ST-1300A
I put an EBC rotor and EBC pads on the rear and the stopping power is just amazing.
The only thing I'd do different is replace the SMC also at the same time.
Here is a rooky-to-motorcycle-maintenance type of question: I googled EBC and found out that it is a brand name. So far so good. Then I looked up SMC and got this: "A sliding mode controller (SMC) based on the exponential reaching law for the anti-lock braking system (ABS) is developed to maintain the optimal slip value. Parameter optimizing is applied to the reaching law by fuzzy logic control (FLC)." HUH?! What does that even mean :shrug2: ?

Here is a rooky-to-motorcycle-maintenance type of question: I googled EBC and found out that it is a brand name. So far so good. Then I looked up SMC and got this: "A sliding mode controller (SMC) based on the exponential reaching law for the anti-lock braking system (ABS) is developed to maintain the optimal slip value. Parameter optimizing is applied to the reaching law by fuzzy logic control (FLC)." HUH?! What does that even mean :shrug2: ?
Maybe if we go into greater detail, it'll make more sense....

It's an instrument that allows transmission that not only supplies inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but is also capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters.

Basically, the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motions of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the modial interaction of magnetoreluctance and capacitive directance.

The original device had a baseplate of prefabulated Amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the pentametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzel vanes so-fitted to the ambifacient lunar wane shaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented.

The main winding was of the normal lotus-o-delta type placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible trem'e pipe to the differential girdlespring on the up-end of the grammeters.

The SMC has now reached a high level of development, and is being successfully used in the operation of nofer trunnions. Moreover, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusodial depleneration.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
HUH?! What does that even mean
Assuming you have an ABS equipped ST... look at the front caliper... see that extra bit that's not on the other calipers? That's the SMC.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The SMC has now reached a high level of development, and is being successfully used in the operation of nofer trunnions. Moreover, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusodial depleneration.

Here is a rooky-to-motorcycle-maintenance type of question: I googled EBC and found out that it is a brand name. So far so good. Then I looked up SMC and got this: "A sliding mode controller (SMC) ...
Try googling up Secondary Master Cylinder, and leave the reciprocating dingle arms to the professionals.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Are you implying that an SMC is only used on ABS equipped STs? Might reconsider.
No, other bikes use them too, but I know where it is on the ST1300A2.

It's the gadget that spreads some of the brake pressure to the other end of the bike in a linked braking system.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Maybe if we go into greater detail, it'll make more sense....

It's an instrument that allows transmission that not only supplies inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but is also capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters.

Basically, the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motions of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the modial interaction of magnetoreluctance and capacitive directance.

The original device had a baseplate of prefabulated Amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the pentametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzel vanes so-fitted to the ambifacient lunar wane shaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented.

The main winding was of the normal lotus-o-delta type placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible trem'e pipe to the differential girdlespring on the up-end of the grammeters.

LOL literally. We’ll played sir, well played. ;)

Top Bottom