Brakes on ST1300

Had a little mishap with our bike, finally putting it all back together. Reconnected the battery and now no brakes at all? No fluid leaked, the mishap was mainly cosmetic. Can’t seem to figure out why the are not working? Any help appreciate!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Standing by the :WCP1: if needed.
You'll be caller 31.....your call is important, please be patient, due to the high volume of calls right now, as the COVID 19 thing has everyone working on their bikes.

Last edited:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Start with the basics... a good bleed. If you had a tip over and the brake lever was engaged, you might have sucked some air into the line up by the master cylinder if your fluid was low.

In your mishap did you damage the brake lever? Any chance the plunger is damaged? Need more specifics of what you mean by no brakes at all.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Had a little mishap with our bike, finally putting it all back together. Reconnected the battery and now no brakes at all? No fluid leaked, the mishap was mainly cosmetic. Can’t seem to figure out why the are not working? Any help appreciate!
That's a strange one, be sure to keep us all posted. I'd take Larry up on his offer if you haven't already.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Had a little mishap with our bike, finally putting it all back together.
Need more specifics of what you mean by no brakes at all.
Need more specifics on both. Last time I checked my ST, the brakes were not electric. Completely mechanical/hydraulic, so the electric system has nothing to do with the braking system. Except the brake lights.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I'm confused at how your brakes quit working because you changed the battery. This'll be interesting to see pan out. :smile-popcorn:

Larry, you're overworked and underappreciated. ;) :thumb:

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I'm confused at how your brakes quit working because you changed the battery. This'll be interesting to see pan out. :smile-popcorn:

Larry, you're overworked and underappreciated. ;) :thumb:
It's unlikely to be related to the battery - it's surely related to the "mishap" he described. I wish there were more details as to what that mishap was about - that would have helped enormously.

OP
OP
so the mishap involved hitting gravel and getting stopped on a dime. The right handle bar went into the gravel. It appeared to be all cosmetic for the bike, (not so much for the wif-that would be me) our son drove it from KY to cincinnati, Ohio the day of the mishap. It has just taken a while to get parts. Mainly the cover for the turn signal and the side cover i think that is called a cowl? After putting it all back together now about 10 months later now the brakes are not working...lever goes all the way in with nothing, there is no resistance at all. It has been in our garage for that time and no leakage of brake fluid at all. Thanks for the advice...will start with the basics and bleed the brakes. Thanks for the help!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Probably not related to the mishap if it happened 10 months later, more likely related to sitting and the fluid absorbing moisture. Agree with the recommendation to perform a thorough flush and bleed of all the fluid. Do the clutch circuit at the same time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Probably not related to the mishap if it happened 10 months later, more likely related to sitting and the fluid absorbing moisture. Agree with the recommendation to perform a through flush and bleed of all the fluid. Do the clutch circuit at the same time.
Okay will try that thank you

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ten months sitting? Have you started the bike in that time? I'd do routine maintenance after that time - change oil, fluids, etc.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
All mentions of plastic and battery should be irrelevant to the brake issue.

OK so the brakes were fine after the mishap, having ridden the bike a good distance. Eliminates my busted lever theory.

Top Bottom