Breather tube question, help!!!!

So i am a first time st1100 owner, never drove the bike anywhere, had this bike tore down to a frame and motor to repair all the crappy stuff that normally happens with these, timing belt, coolant seals and hoses and random gaskets and such.
So i have the bike back together but not the plastics yet as i wanted to make sure it ran proper first. Has anyone else ever noticed the breather tube going to the air box having alot blowing out of it? Was not blowing oil, just alot of air. As i am not familiar with the bike yet i was not sure if it is normal or not. I know it has some smog stuff that probably recycle exhaust back to the intake for part of the warmup like most older cars did in that year range of these bikes. I just wanna make sure i dont have a dud and this bike is doing as it is supposed to do.
The bike starts up great and the throttle response is awesome, carbs were super clean when i had them off so no cleaning needed.
So if anyone has any knowledge they can pass on to me about the breather situation i greatly appreciate it as i can not find anything online or in the honda manual about what normal operation is.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
from your description it sounds like the crankcase breather tube just doing what its supposed to do, allow excess pressure from the crankcase to flow into the airbox. I've never paid any attention to how much air should or shouldn't be flowing from it, so I can't help you there, but for now I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
I did a little more digging, its just the exhaust recirculation (smog), part of the chrome tubes as they call it. Supposed to have a valve that will close off when the bike gets up to temp.

If you did any work on the carbs you should have them synced. (I can’t comment on the breather hose)
I did sync the carbs, not that hard to do, all i did was take the bottoms off and check to make sure the jets were not plugged up and floats worked, took the tops apart and made sure no tares in the diaphragms.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's quite a large diameter tube. I think it must be intended to shift a lot of air, but I've never bothered to feel it when the engine was running.
I just know it has a circlip on it. Unless it hasn't, and that's when the real fun starts. (different story).

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I did a little more digging, its just the exhaust recirculation (smog), part of the chrome tubes as they call it.
Um… no. The crankcase emission control system is separate from the exhaust emission control system (secondary air supply system). See pages 1-32 and 1-33 in the Honda Service Manual. Two systems… one sends crankcase air to the air cleaner (rubber hose) and the other sends filtered air to the exhaust ports (chrome tubes).

John

Top Bottom