Bridgestone 021 front poor mileage

randy the x man

R.I.P. - 2013/06/23
Rest In Peace
Normally I run the OEM 020 and the front is usually good for 10k plus. Got a new 021 from another st rider who did not need it. Getting ready for a 4k plus ride thru Colorado and Utah from Seattle. Got a new 020 read and thought with only 2.5k on the front it should be ok. Nope to my horror as I was checking the bike out I find the 021 with only 2.5k miles is already down to the wear bar? Yikes no way it will make 4k plus ride. So new 020 on the way.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I found out the hard way that the 21s wear VERY quickly. I bought my bike with a 21 rear on it, "almost new" (about 1k miles according to the records the previous owner kept). By the end of the first week's riding it was noticeably worn (around 900 more miles). I thought it would make it to Moonshine and back (2200 miles round trip, maybe a side trip added in) but on the way out it was worn so much that I knew it wouldn't make it home. I changed it during the trip with around 2500 miles total on the tire. I think it would have made another 500-1000 miles tops, but I changed it when it was convenient (riding partner had to have his changed anyway). This was all pretty easy riding, no "tail of the dragon"...just me getting used to the bike and a partial long distance trip.

Jim

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
There are a few threads in here where we repeat the fact the BT021 is NOT intended fitted to the St1300 - as all good tyre fitters the World over should know by now. I had a very bad experience with my rear and on sweeping through the forums we rapidly learned from the horse's mouth 021s are NOT designed for the ST. I think I've said that twice now. Go back to the 020 or, IMOHO try the Michellin RP2s if the dual compound attracted your attention to the 021s. There are plenty of review in here.

Good luck.

OP
OP

randy the x man

R.I.P. - 2013/06/23
Rest In Peace
I only had the 021 becuase it was avaliable from a ST1300 rider. I do remember some bad comments on them and asked him if he had any problems. He said no. I am a solid 020 user and will use those as long as they are avaliable

Top Bottom