Bridgestone 023 Tire DEMOUNTING

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good Luck... that's all I have to say....

I had some time today and decided I'd take off the 023 and put on an 020 to see if the unigo would still have a wobble - that way I could at least dismiss it as a tire issue.

Well, the sidewalls on the 020 are known to be some of the stiffest around... I think the ones on the 023 are the softest around.

I say this because none of the previous techniques I've used on my 100s of tire changes with the no mar worked just to get the tool into the 1st part of the tire once the bead was broken. The sidewalls as so soft, the inner diameter of the tire hugs the rim... eventually, I was able to jam a screwdriver between the lip and inner rim to get just enough open and get the tool in.

After that, the demounting process was the same as with other tires...

Just be warned, you might be in for a war... It might help to have two people around...

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
:doh1:

BTW: I put the Storm 2 back on the front the other day..... I've changed to Sonic Springs and Tapered bearings in the front end since I took it off.... Performance is much better. No more crazy wobble so I'm happy enough with it to use it up then switch back to the PR2's most likely...

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
:doh1:

BTW: I put the Storm 2 back on the front the other day..... I've changed to Sonic Springs and Tapered bearings in the front end since I took it off.... Performance is much better. No more crazy wobble so I'm happy enough with it to use it up then switch back to the PR2's most likely...
Cool... might be some twisty stuff in SD..

Byron

STOC #
I ran into the same problem recently trying to dismount a Pirelli Corsa III off the rear rim of my Buell 1125R. The edge of the bead breaker kept sliding down the collapsing carcas. I was finally able to break it loose by moving to either side of where I started and it finally broke free. I've had a few tires that were a little difficult to break free but this one was the hardest to date because it was so flexible. A little spray lube, water with rubbing alcohol, helped too I think.

Not sure which I disliked more mounting an 020 or dismounting this Pirelli. :(

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I ran into the same problem recently trying to dismount a Pirelli Corsa III off the rear rim of my Buell 1125R. The edge of the bead breaker kept sliding down the collapsing carcas. I was finally able to break it loose by moving to either side of where I started and it finally broke free. I've had a few tires that were a little difficult to break free but this one was the hardest to date because it was so flexible. A little spray lube, water with rubbing alcohol, helped too I think.

Not sure which I disliked more mounting an 020 or dismounting this Pirelli. :(
Yeah... I ended up de-mounting the worse tire I've ever demounted and had to do a one-man mount of the hardest tire I've ever had to mount.. LOL... so much for a quick job... and it's a bit humid today.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
A little hint guys when you run across one that has a soft side wall, put a little air back into it.

This allows for some stiffness back against the side wall. It will not slide by then. We have to do this with ATV tires.

After you do one side you can add a littel more air again to get the other side.

Hope it helps next time.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
A little hint guys when you run across one that has a soft side wall, put a little air back into it.

This allows for some stiffness back against the side wall. It will not slide by then. We have to do this with ATV tires.

After you do one side you can add a littel more air again to get the other side.

Hope it helps next time.
Thanks, will give that a try next time. Not sure I get it... If it balloons out more it's just going to collapse when you try to push the bar into it..

Top Bottom