Bridgestone Driveguard Run Flat

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I don't know about this particular tire but I do know that run flat tires have very stiff sidewalls and extra support that makes the tire less flexible. It is known that run run flat tires on cars do not handle as well as standard tires. I would be concerned that on a motorcycle running a car tire, the more flexible that the tire is would be important to insure as much tread remains on the road as possible.

Just my .02

Dan

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
When I wear out the Falken non-runflat on the ST1300, I'll probably try one. Runflats weren't available in a size that fit the ST when I went darkside. I've been running a Michelin runflat on the Wing for 3 years, with no problems.

John

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have worn out two Bridgestone Drive Guard Runflats. Great tire. The profile is rounder than many tires such as the triple tred. Had to have it mounted via a machine, you're not going to get it on by hand. Handled similar to other CT. I ran it at 40 psi and the only issue I had was that the tire wants to follow any grooves in the pavement. I think I got close to 25K miles out of the last one. I will note that adding a bridgestone BT045 rear tire on the front made the CT on the rear even less noticable.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I don't know about this particular tire but I do know that run flat tires have very stiff sidewalls and extra support that makes the tire less flexible. It is known that run run flat tires on cars do not handle as well as standard tires. I would be concerned that on a motorcycle running a car tire, the more flexible that the tire is would be important to insure as much tread remains on the road as possible.

Just my .02

Dan
No experience running on a MC application here. BUT, I have them on both of my cars, 2010 Acura TSX and 2008 Honda Civic EX Coupe.

The good:
They ride, and handle, just as well as any other premium tire that I have used over the years.
60,000 mi, or more tread wear life.
They give magnificent traction in snow and ice. Best all season tire I have ever used.
You can go more than 50 miles with no air in the tires, at all, and not damage them.

The not so good:

They are more expensive by about $60 a tire.
The sidewalls are easily damaged when you hit a pot hole. I am on my 4th one on the front passenger side of my Acura due to pot holes. Replaced by road hazard.

Top Bottom