Bridgestone Potenza G-019

STOC #
Update 2/18/2012 - this tire does not work with the ST1300 as it is too wide.

I've bought a thing. :burnout
It should be here this week. :eek:
The local shop said they'd mount it it for me, so we'll see if he was lying or not :p:

I'll be pairing it with a Bridgestone BT-023 GT on the front.

OP
OP
JasonFJ
STOC #
According to tire rack, its close to the sizes already in use (the hankook, and triple tred, and dinkies monster michelin pilot), so im hoping to not hit any problems. It should be here sometime next week :)

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
This is a good thing if it works. Having more choices is great.
I wish I had let the car tire shop mount my Hankook. They couldn't have dinged up the rim any worse than I did. I did take it back down to them to bead it. My little AC wouldn't bead the darn tire.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I find the secret to mounting yur own tars is to not worry 'bout dinging the rim a little. No body can see it when it's rolling.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I find the secret to mounting yur own tars is to not worry 'bout dinging the rim a little. No body can see it when it's rolling.
I doubt you would pay me to mount a tire or even do it for nuttin' after seeing what I do to a rim! LOL.
Tire holds air so who cares?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
JasonFJ are you not worried about putting a V-speed rated tire on your bike? V means less traction overall then a Z-rated. You may not be racing but it's still a motorcycle and you will still get less real life characteristics that every ST needs: wet traction, Braking distance, handling.

OP
OP
JasonFJ
STOC #
JasonFJ are you not worried about putting a V-speed rated tire on your bike? V means less traction overall then a Z-rated. You may not be racing but it's still a motorcycle and you will still get less real life characteristics that every ST needs: wet traction, Braking distance, handling.
I'm not worried about it, as the speed rating has little to do with the tire's traction potential. V rated means the tire is designed to not come apart and to maintain shape at speeds up to 149 MPH .... which is probably faster than the top speed of the bike, and is quite a bit faster than I ever intend to travel on the street on two wheels. Z rated simply puts that speed limit in excess of 149 MPH. The official rule of thumb is that you shouldn't put a tire on your vehicle with a lower speed rating than what the manufacturer shipped it with, but in this case, I think I'd be splitting hairs.

Traction is rated as part of the Uniform Tire Quality Grade (aka, UTQG). The UTQG shows a tire's treadwear rating, traction rating, and resistance to heat. Unfortunately, the traction rating is only based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across a test surface. The traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance, so while it is useful information, it still has to be taken with a grain of salt. Even so, the Potenza is an all weather high performance tire that has been used with good results on Goldwings, Victory Vision, the VTX and other heavyweight tourers. It's rated at 460 treadwear, A traction, A heat resistance.

For comparison, these are other tires being used in dark side ST1300 applications:
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110: 280, AA, A (Max Performance Summer)
Hankook Ventus Sport K104: 280, AA, A (Ultra High Performance Summer)
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S: 500, AA, A (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Goodyear Triple Tred: 540, A, A (Passenger All-Season)
Falken Ziex ZE-512: 360, A, A (Performance All Season)

That all being said, I fully expect to burst into flames and/or be hit by lightning the moment I put the rim back on the bike, so it all probably doesn't matter much ;)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Should mention here somewhere, the London Taxi Tar I'm currently running on lipSTick is like P rated or sumpin like that. 93 MPH. Never a traction problem, never a delam problem, better performance than many Avon Storm IIs we've read about here.

OP
OP
JasonFJ
STOC #
Sadly, it looks like this particular tire wont work for our ST1300. Its way too wide, and rubs all over both sides off the swingarm. I've got another darkside tire mounted on the rim though... So I'll be posting up about that tire here in a bit.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well at least you tried it and now anyone else that was looking at that tire will know. Thank you for trying. Keep us posted on your other findings.

Mike

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Too bad. Thanks for letting us know.
That's why I bought the Hankook. I saw it mounted on two bikes in person before I did it so I know it worked!
I also wondered about the Z speed rating thing. I'm almost never over 100 MPH. And that's ST13 speedo indicated!

Top Bottom