Broke Down I think Timing belt But........?

Well I thought i would be asking what this switch does etc but Hey Ho!

Bought my st1100 2001 on the year 85,000 Miles (Ex Police).
I did 75 miles and it seemed to go onto 3 cyl only doing 65Mph I changed down hopeing it would clear and I started to slow down and then a quite loud metalic noise from what sounded like the front of the engine, So clutch in and killed the motor, Phoned for recovery for the 50 miles to Portsmouth.

Arrived at Portsmouth ferry and tried to turn it over on the starter and it turned. only a little, But it has not seized.

I am now at home with the bike in France and before i stripp it down I would like to know what damage a broken timing belt does and are these motors prone to OIL Pump failure or something else that would give me the same symptons.

The Motor is not turning at the moment i put it in gear and moved the engine round and it has locked. So I presume a valve touching the piston.

Any help Greatly appreaciated.

Bighomer

OP
OP
Hi, My water temp was quite normal when all this happened and it is funny the motor is not rotating after being stood on a ferry for 12 hour over night I still feel timing belt or tensioner

I know it is going to need to be stripped but wanted to know the worse senario of a broken timing belt, Do the valves hit the pistons on this machine.

This is my first Pan Euro.

Bighomer

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Yes, the valves will hit the pistons when timing belt breaks. We (on this side of the Atlantic) call it an "interference" engine.

OP
OP
Ah Well, Start taking all the plastics of tomorrow and get the timing belt cover off, I think it is more than likely the problem, I hope I have not done damage whilst riding but it did turn after I arrived at the ferry the other day.

So Heres hoping.

JUST A thought do I start a new thread when making any other observations on the strip down and would it be of any interest for anyone if I post photo's etc and the final diagnosis ???

Thanks
BH

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
JUST A thought do I start a new thread when making any other observations on the strip down and would it be of any interest for anyone if I post photo's etc and the final diagnosis ???
By all means! Go ahead and post them in this thread so the whole story stays together.

--Mark

Bike
'93 ST1100
2001 with 85,000 Miles.

What can we learn from this?
Mileage is the thing more than age?
If this one went at 85k, then when should it be scheduled to replace, 80k or less?
Not the sort of item you can wait until it fails, then replace.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Rob, I'd say it's too early to tell. I know at least two that are 100,000 mi (yes, mine is one) on the original...Mine will get changed this winter....

Edit: CW has it that the timing belt is good for at least 124,000 mi, lots of anecdotal evidence that the belt can go on and on. I am watching this thread with great interest.

BadgerMan

Jeff Mulvane, KS
Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I replaced my timing belt 2 years ago at just over 100k (miles). It was not the belt nor the waterpump that was the issue once I got in there, but rather one of the pulleys. It had no grease in it and had started to rust and squeak.

I feel confident that if I had not changed that pulley, my ST would have suffered a catistrophic failure.

Double check everything when you get in there.

OP
OP
I have to do a couple of jobs in the house first "I have been told" before I get on to stripping down the bike, But after the weekend I will have further info and some pics before during and after.

BH

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I replaced my timing belt at 90K (14 yrs) and then 180K (5 years) and am always very careful to check the idler and water pump bearings. I HAVE heard reports of both water pump and idler bearings failing and resulting in a trashed engine.

I think at my next scheduled change, I may change at least the water pump just for "insurance" sake.

I still have both of the belts I removed and even though one was in service for 14 years and the other only 5, I cannot tell them apart by visual inspection. Thay both look like they could have gone for much longer time.

I am betting that if this one went at 85K there was something else at the cause. Possibly water pump due to wrong coolant along the way?

OP
OP
I hav'nt stripped it down yet but I suspect that what ever happened was not the belt failing.
Regards the trashed engine myluck is such that it is more than likely going to be.

"If the soup factory burst it's boilers all I would be able to find would be a cullinder and a fork"

I don't seem to be having a lot of luck...

BH

OP
OP
Well I don't know if it good news yet but the cam belt is a mess,
BUT.... It is still attached to all pulleys although it is in shreads

It's going dark now and no lights in my garage so the rest will come off tomorrow.

BH

Attachments

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Jeeze, Homer, that looks really serious.

I did a limited amount of research, is near an unknown thing. Is the water pump and related pulleys frozen?

For what ever reason, the list won't let me play anymore, I can't get very deep into the archives. I think John O or Rob or one of the guys will come in here with a comment, and tell us how rare this is.

Top Bottom