Broke Down I think Timing belt But........?

OP
OP
I have got to take the rest of the cover off tomorrow and see if the pump is frozen
or any of the other pulleys

OP
OP
I have took every apart and I have ordered an new belt to start with.

On my bottom pulley I dont seem to have a small punch mark for tdc lign up

Is it hard to see. If i was sat on the bike which piston or cyl is No One
I have dial guage do can probe to set tdc on the crank.

Also is there any position on the cams that would allow the crank to turn all the way round. You can see where i am going with this, I can only turn the crank round one way and then it locks and turn round the other again till it locks.

I think i am hitting a valve stuck open... But will not know fully till i install a new belt.

BH

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Sorry to say, but I don't this story is going to have a happy ending. That belt condition combined with the mechanical noise you heard practically garanties there is one or more bent valves.
Posted via Mobile Device

DAS

STOC #
Yup. with the belt off (and nothing bent or broken) I'm pretty sure all cams will rotate to a position where all valves are closed or the slightest nudge of the camshaft and it will turn over to where the valves will close.

pull the plugs and stick a slender rod down the plug hole and find what cylinders are near tdc when the crank stops rotating. That cylinder will be where the problem is. But you better check all the valves when you get it to roll all the way over and eventually you'll want to do a compression test.

Good luck.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I think at this point, it is probably best to just pull both heads.

Remember there are 720? of rotation at the crank for 360? at the cam. I'm guessing at least 2 bent valve cylinders, serious possibility of a holed piston or two.

Not good news, Homer. I feel bad for you. Thanks for keeping us in the loop and letting our morbid curiosity to run wild.

OP
OP
What would cause this plug to melt at the end. Also after a little time spent doing some further investigation I found the starter had no mounting bolts in it.

What a dog I have bought

OH just one other thing for tonight On my crank I can not find the little dot or punch mark for TDC.

I have decided it is going to have to be a full head overhaul, Does anyone have any spare valves if I need some which i think i will

Thanks

BH

Attachments

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Sounds like someone had that engine apart before and did a really poor job reassembling it. No bolts in the starter????

OP
OP
Well after you look at these pics I suppose you can see I need a new engine (Second Hand)

I will post a new thread asking for a good second hand engine in the UK or France, The U.S is a little too far to ship for me.

Well Thanks to all who responded

BH.

Attachments

TPadden

Tom Padden
The first post in this thread is a little confusing - how long have you had the bike and how many miles did you put on it? Did you buy it from a reputable dealer or Fred Sanford?

OP
OP
I bought this machine second hand and was riding it from Braintree essex to the ferry at postsmouth. I filled up with petrol and when i broke down it had 75 miles on the trip, I did have a ride around on it and it came with a service history from the police and had been oil changed after that.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-PAN-EUROPEAN-MOTORCYCLE-ST1100A-ST1100_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a7Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c293Q3a2Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ca2fa92aaQQitemZ260432368298QQptZUKQ5fMotorcyclesQQsalenotsupported
This is the add where I found it. I paid 2,000 for it not the asking price

But Hey Ho, Caveat emptor springs to mind in these situations.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Wow, that's nasty, and worse than I feared. STs rarely self destruct like that. I've got to think some kind of service or mechanical mistake was made, predisposing this event.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is nasty. I have seen one other picture of a timing belt shredded like that. I agree with Jeff that someone has botched up a service somewhere, perhaps in checking the timing belt (if that was done at the recommended interval) or in fixing some other problem.

I'm in the same boat ! heard a squealing , squeaking noise and then POP , rattle , Died . Pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop. Sound like a timing belt?

Top Bottom