Bruce Rossmeyer Killed

FOG

Sad, "strayed" into the lane, or intentionally tried to run them off the road???

I have seen several people move over on bikes, and many times it seems or is intentional. I hope there is a little more investigation into the incident

STOC #
I just made a post about this also. Although I'm not a HD fan, I really appreciated his sponsorship of the Buel in the Daytona Sportsbike class of AMA racing. He will be missed in the Daytona area.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
From what I've heard they were passing that RV on a double yellow and it started to turn, then realized that bikes were in the lane. (Where they should not have been.)

This was second person, so I am waiting to here with some folks I know that were up there.

suprdav

R.I.P - 2015/05/23
Bike
2013 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Bruce Rossmeyer's death

I heard Bruce Rossmeyer of Daytona H-D was killed today on his way to Sturgis. It seems he was riding with a group of 5 or 6 other riders and all but Rossmeyer went around a RV. When Rossmeyer was passing, the RV turned left or swerved and hit Rossmeyer. News reports indicate he was killed instantly. It is always hard to hear that a biker got killed no matter what he rode.
Ride Safe
Suprdav

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Bruce Rossmeyer, America’s largest Harley Davidson dealer and well regarded supporter and sponsor of the motorcycle community was killed earlier today in an motorcycle accident in Wyoming.

Rossmeyer was riding in a group of five motorcyclists when they attempted to pull pass a SUV with a trailer. Rossmeyer was the last in line and was killed when the SUV turned left in front of him.

Rossmeyer came late to the motorcycle community, opening his first Harley dealership after “retiring” from the car industry in 1994. He success came quickly with new dealerships opened and acquired, allowing Rossmeyer to become a well known supporter and sponsor of motorcycle community events.

Among others, Rossmeyer sponsored the Buell team that fields Danny Eslick in the AMA Pro Daytona SportBike class, and he also founded events such as Biketoberfest in Daytona.

Bruce Rossmeyer is survived by his wife, five children and seven grandchildren.

Read more: http://www.inquisitr.com/31317/bruce-rossmeyer-killed-in-motorcycle-accident/#ixzz0MnSZQoej

STOC #
Dang! didn't the same thing happen to another H-D dealership owner last year on their way to Sturgis? I thought I was reading the article from last year.
By the tone of the article, the writer was being kind to his memory and not pointing out that he was on the wrong side of the road.
God bless his family.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
From what I've heard they were passing that RV on a double yellow and it started to turn, then realized that bikes were in the lane. (Where they should not have been.)

This was second person, so I am waiting to here with some folks I know that were up there.
Click Baldwin, owner of Carolina HD in Gastonia, NC, was killed in a similar incident near Lolo Pass last year on his way to Sturgis.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Sad..
I enjoyed the visit and overnight stay at his incredible complex in Daytona a few years ago..
Very very nice place.

As to the accident, sounds very avoidable..
RV needed to check his mirrors and blind spot (especially if he was getting passed by 5 others..to me thats a big heads up)

But of course the other side of me says dont pass on a double yellow but to tell you I would not have done the same thing in the same situation, I would be a hypocrit.

ShafT

Lurker extraordinaire
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have seen some other articles and commentary that suggest this was largely rider error. I've seen on other boards that the first reaction is to assume the cager acted with malice. In this case, there are reports that the truck/camper had its signal on to turn left (who knows how long), initiated the turn and that Rossmeyer impacted the door of the tow vehicle -- while passing in a no passing zone. I'm confused by the suggestion that multiple riders passed before he turned -- which would suggest the driver could have or should have seen Rossmeyer. Of course, the statement about the signal came from police reports and I'm sure the driver would claim he did signal regardless of whether he did or not. Nonetheless, this does not sound like the road rage, scare-the-rider situation. Hopefully, Rob can shed some true light from those present.

I'm sure further details will come out, and placing "fault" doesn't lessen the loss to Rossmeyer's friends and family. All too often we lose riders to a cager who doesn't see the rider because they aren't looking, particularly with the left turn in front of an oncoming rider. Here that isn't the case. I shudder to place myself in that truck and whether the same thing could have happened -- and I always look for bikes.

R.I.P. Bruce. May your family and friends find comfort and peace in this trying time.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have seen some other articles and commentary that suggest this was largely rider error. I've seen on other boards that the first reaction is to assume the cager acted with malice. In this case, there are reports that the truck/camper had its signal on to turn left (who knows how long), initiated the turn and that Rossmeyer impacted the door of the tow vehicle -- while passing in a no passing zone. I'm confused by the suggestion that multiple riders passed before he turned -- which would suggest the driver could have or should have seen Rossmeyer. Of course, the statement about the signal came from police reports and I'm sure the driver would claim he did signal regardless of whether he did or not. Nonetheless, this does not sound like the road rage, scare-the-rider situation. Hopefully, Rob can shed some true light from those present.

I'm sure further details will come out, and placing "fault" doesn't lessen the loss to Rossmeyer's friends and family. All too often we lose riders to a cager who doesn't see the rider because they aren't looking, particularly with the left turn in front of an oncoming rider. Here that isn't the case. I shudder to place myself in that truck and whether the same thing could have happened -- and I always look for bikes.

R.I.P. Bruce. May your family and friends find comfort and peace in this trying time.
Well said Matt:bow1:

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Matt,

You are correct in that placing "fault" will not help anyone in this situation.

We all know that crashes happen when factors add up and make them happen, rarely if ever can you say that one thing was the root or reason.

DAS

STOC #
+2 Matt especially your last statement. Thoughts and prayers for family and friends of Bruce. RIP.

Tyrbrnr

Rick
Bike
ST-1300
STOC #
Re: Destination Daytona Harley owner Killed in Bike Crash

That is very sad. The man did do a great deal for motorcycling and chairtiy.
Prayers go out to his family

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Re: Destination Daytona Harley owner Killed in Bike Crash

+1 , always sad to hear people with good heart to pass away for no reason.

STOC #
Sounds pretty straightforward. Even if he didn't see brake or turn signals, I guess I have a hard time understanding why someone would pass a vehicle that is slowing, especially if there is any kind of a turnoff in the immediate zone. Maybe I am used to farmers doing this all the time where I ride and he isn't (being from Florida).

Top Bottom