Bruce Rossmeyer Killed

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sounds pretty straightforward. Even if he didn't see brake or turn signals, I guess I have a hard time understanding why someone would pass a vehicle that is slowing, especially if there is any kind of a turnoff in the immediate zone. Maybe I am used to farmers doing this all the time where I ride and he isn't (being from Florida).
Florida has plenty of farmers and not a few ranchers, believe it or not, but you have to get off the freeways and coastal highways to see them. Inland Florida is very rural. On the other hand, we have more than our share of tourists that do not know where they are or where they are going and then dart this way and that when they see what they are looking for. There is a whole lot of dodging going on.

In this situation perhaps they followed this truck for what seemed like a long way and a need to get around it and on down the road overruled good judgement.

I would rather mourn the man's passing then pass judgement at this time. More will be revealed.

STOC #
I would rather mourn the man's passing then pass judgement at this time. More will be revealed.
I mean no disrespect. But I think waiting to discuss the crash scenarios and avoidance options are sometimes lost with the time people seem to need to mourn. IMHO, there are lessons here and I see fellow listers make the same mistake at times. While we pay respects, I think it's good to also discuss the reasons for this sort of crash.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Here is an accident report from the Wyoming Highway Patrol.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/downloads/Rossmeyer_report.pdf
Are you kidding? is that really a real police report?

Having grown up in a police family I've never seen a report that did not give the speed limit of the road and the condition of the markings (not to mention what they were) to give a clear picture of the roadway.

One of the reasons for crash reports is to collect data to see if markings need to be improved or changed to eliminate deaths, that report offers no insight what-so-ever.

That is a rather pathetic report in my view. :(

STOC #
Are you kidding? is that really a real police report?

Having grown up in a police family I've never seen a report that did not give the speed limit of the road and the condition of the markings (not to mention what they were) to give a clear picture of the roadway.

One of the reasons for crash reports is to collect data to see if markings need to be improved or changed to eliminate deaths, that report offers no insight what-so-ever.

That is a rather pathetic report in my view. :(
I can't speak for Wyoming but in Minnesota there is effectively two reports on a fatal. A preliminary report to establish some initial information, very similar to the Wyoming report here and is public. Then a more formal accident and reconstruction report that has all the scientific and biological detail and is not published on the internet. It's not possible for an officer to complete a detailed report this early. I'm guessing Wyoming is the same way.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I can't speak for Wyoming but in Minnesota there is effectively two reports on a fatal. A preliminary report to establish some initial information, very similar to the Wyoming report here and is public. Then a more formal accident and reconstruction report that has all the scientific and biological detail and is not published on the internet. It's not possible for an officer to complete a detailed report this early. I'm guessing Wyoming is the same way.
OK, that at least makes sense.

STOC #
One has to appreciate the thin line the officer has to tread in making that initial report. In this modern internet age with a highly litiguous society, they are probably compelled to holding back information they don't feel will add value to the preiminary report. They certainly won't be adding any of their own speculation and opinions.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
One has to appreciate the thin line the officer has to tread in making that initial report. In this modern internet age with a highly litiguous society, they are probably compelled to holding back information they don't feel will add value to the preiminary report. They certainly won't be adding any of their own speculation and opinions.
Roadway markings and signage are neither opinion, nor speculation. I don't see any reason they should not be given in that report.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Our own Derek Catt was killed when the car he was just starting to pass made a left turn into him. No signal and no intersection signs as warning. OTOH, he was over the double yellow whether by intent or "forced" there by the car driver who had just pulled out from his right.

In either case, no placing of blame or finger pointing will bring him back nor Russ either.

STOC #
Roadway markings and signage are neither opinion, nor speculation. I don't see any reason they should not be given in that report.
I suppose it comes down to the division of information that goes into the final report versus the first report. Again, in Minnesota there is none of that detail in the preliminary report. It simply the name, type of vehicle, time of the accident and a simple description of what appeared to have occurred. Signage detail, measurements and photos are usually diagrammed in the final report. Bear in mind that what is published on the internet is not going to be the complete record. For all you know that information is already completed on a separate sheet, just not published.

I discussed this very issue with the State Motorcycle Director with MNDOT. I feel it would benefit other riders to know exactly what happened in a motorcycle fatal. Unfortunately the reality is that information cannot be public during litigation and is not easy to do with the existing database software (which is designed for small snippets of text but not for large reports.) I suppose signage could be included but it's going to be a big part of the final report anyway.

Notwithstanding, the officer (or officers) are the ones tasked to write the Accident Report. I think their time is just too limited to crank out the detail you want within two days. I was involved in a crash in 2001 where someone ran a stop sign. It took 10 days for the officer to provide the detailed accident report with the diagram of measurements and this was a pretty straightforward incident. The officer explained that he takes all the notes he needs at the scene, along with the photos, and then spends 1-2 hours writing the final report. Not an easy thing to do for a patrolman who already has a full plate.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Meanwhile, Danny Eslick had an outstanding race on the Rossmeyer/Geico Buell in Topeka yesterday. Very emotional race for that team for sure.

Certainly keeping everyone involved in the crash in our thoughts.

Bike
GL1800
Very Sad.

Big flag at half mast at the dealership on Saturday. Public funeral today. Will be missed ..........quite a business guy with many dealerships in many states.

He was also involved with multiple charities including with Paul Newman and the Petty rides.

The best to his family. God Speed.

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Bruce did bring a whole lot of business to Daytona you can't argue that. Destination Daytona is a massive place however there was a whole lot of poltics going on when Bruce chose Ormond Beach to build his crown jewel.

My Prayers go out to his family.

Top Bottom