BT020 Front Tread Cracks

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
...OK, so the front does have 13,500 miles on it, but it was mounted just less than a year ago, is not quite at the wear bars (center tread) and was manufactured week 12, 2008...so I wouldn't expect to see this type of cracking, one side only, over about a 45? arc starts small either side and peaks with the size crack you see in the picture (when enlarged).

I planned on changing it in the next 1,000 miles but just wondered what would cause this and whether others have seen the same thing.

BTW - I inspect tires every couple of weeks or so for wear and nasties and had not seen these until today...and I keep the rubber at 42psi like the doctor ordered.

This is my third set of 020F's..I like 'em so am installing another set.

Attachments

yogione

Vic G
Bike
'07 ST 1300
STOC #
From the picture it looks like you should have said good bye to that tire a couple of thousand miles back. Riding with so little tread seems dangerous to me on a bike with so much spirit. Prescription: new set as soon as humanly possible. Safe riding. :tc1:

OP
OP
CTbrit

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
As things work out the fronts (and for that matter the rear) are typically changed out at by around 12,500 as I put new rubber on in the spring. I had not checked the actual mileage on these until I posted. After posting I went and had another look at them and second time around I kinda went ... :22yikes: ...hot footed it back to the computer and ordered new rubber PDQ. Will be riding on new tires before the end of the month and will stick to the Beemer until then.

Brave, no ... I will keep my angels for another time as this I can take care of myself ;), thanks for the posts & everyone came to the same, wiser conclusion.

Ciao.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
13,500 miles...blows my mind how some guys get that kind of mileage out of tires. I would have replaced those a while back.

OP
OP
CTbrit

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
13,500 miles...blows my mind how some guys get that kind of mileage out of tires. I would have replaced those a while back.
I put about 4-5K on in straight lines typically on dry slab Nov-Mar...that is probably how I get that mileage. Maybe the cold this year (I have been out at <10?F several times this winter) caused some brittleness in the rubber & the cracking.

I don't see anything like that mileage on any other tire on the other bikes I have owned, 8K at best...the mileage on the ST just seems to be that way :shrug2:

Bike
2005 ST13
Cracks look to be from over-inflation. Example is his pressure gauge is off a bit, factor-in hot summer tire temp, and big pot holes.

OP
OP
CTbrit

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
Cracks look to be from over-inflation. Example is his pressure gauge is off a bit, factor-in hot summer tire temp, and big pot holes.
Good thought, so checked with a second gauge when I return home...both read basically the same @ 41-42psi (I am pretty diligent on tire pessure). Anyway, it will be gone shortly...

it's just simple dryrot. Lots of miles and heat cycles. You simply accelerated it by all that riding (which is not a bad thing BTW). Glad you ordered up new hoops.

RCS

I second the theory of heat cycles with the addition of extreme cold temps. Cold tempertures tend to rob humidity from the air. The result of low humidity and a hot tire may cause the cracking. Still my favorite tire.

OP
OP
CTbrit

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
it's just simple dryrot. Lots of miles and heat cycles. You simply accelerated it by all that riding (which is not a bad thing BTW). Glad you ordered up new hoops.

Hmm...makes sense, plus RCS's comment on low temps and low humidity especially as I think temps this year on my winter riding have been generally lower than past years.

Great input from everyone - new tires will be here Friday.:)

RodSTer

former username rschween
Bike
2013 R1200GSA
STOC #
ok, different tire and bike I know, but I;d never experienced anything like that either until last week. New 2009 GSA with 1000km on Tourances and they look like this...

Front tire as well, 41 psi, no rough stuff.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Those Tourances look BAD.... they may have been stored incorrectly or have a bad mix on production... or use in extreme conditions of temperature, I mean REALLY cold.... which I doubt.

Any which way those need to go back to the manufacturer, real quick...... your dealer should fit new rubber under warranty....

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
I want to follow this thread.

Just had a blow out coming back from Kansas, 3-28-10. Tire looked fine when I left home. Tank slappers suck!! :22yikes:

Blew out doing 80 MPH coming back. No nails, screws or holes. Noticed it was full of those same cracks.

I'll take a better picture tonight.

Here it is on the side of the road and what I had to do to get it home.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
In the case of a puncture at that speed it is more likely the cracks will have developed as it deflated and stressed the casing.....

Top Bottom