Building custom st1300

So I recently bought a second st1300 for $200 that was in a minor accident. Engine, frame and electrical is all in good condition but the front end and body panels are trashed. I’m rebuilding it as a a naked bike kind of thing so it is going to have none of the cowl or fairings. I would like to have a gauge cluster but I don’t want the big fat cluster set that’s factory. Anyone know of an easy ish drop in digital gauge cluster or something like that? I have everything setup but a gauge cluster.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
OP
OP
CheeseWheel
I've done lots of wiring on various vehicles over the years, but never installed one of these. My advice would be to make sure you have a wiring schematic, good crimp tool and patience! Do you like "connect the dots"??

Check https://www.cycleterminal.com/ for Honda connector kits. This crimp tool works well for a variety of connectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195VXA10/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep us posted! A build thread would be great!!
I will post some pictures. There hasn’t been a lot to do and it’s almost done. I’ll look into a gauge cluster. I don’t like the ones that mess with the ignition wiring I’ve heard a handful of horror stories of them interfering

Just curious, did you ever get the aftermarket cluster or gauges to work? I have a very similar situation with my 06 St and I am looking for something that works. I am trying to get an Amazon speedo to work but can't get rpm, feel and speed to work. The speedo I got came with it's own speed sensor and 2 magnets I would have to install but I can't unless I have the rotor taken to a machine shop to drill holes... I'm not sure if I even have the right wiring diag for mine.... Here's the diagram I have which I think mostly matches my bike. But can't get the rpm of the tech wire and the fuel indicator shows full even though I know there less than half a tank....

Anything you come up with will be helpful. If not I may just return the speedo and keep using my phone as a speedo and count my miles in-between fill ups... Though I would rather have rpm speed and the idiot lights... Lol

Thanks

Attachments

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
... The speedo I got came with it's own speed sensor and 2 magnets I would have to install but I can't unless I have the rotor taken to a machine shop to drill holes...
How big are the magnets? I've heard of guys putting the magnets in the hex sockets of bolts and a couple guys JB Welded (neatly) the magnets to the wheel (rotor).

Well I didn't i stall the magnets yet. But they are pretty small in the picture I attached look at my thumb. I wanted to get the wiring sorted on which wire does what first and so far I have. Only things I can't get to work are fuel gauge which is the second most important thing and the tach... I would t bother with the speedo and magnets till I can get the other stuff done ....

Any other thoughts or ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

Top Bottom