Buying used ST1100. Anything I should be looking for?

Bike
Between bikes
I am looking at a couple of ST1100s, a '97 with 50K miles and a '01 with 24K miles. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? The '97 is about $1200 less than the '01. I'm in CA, any smog requirements I should worry about?

Thanks for any assistance.

freeSTyle

freeSTyle Don
STOC #
Sounds like either one would be a good choice. They both have the 40 amp.alternator.

Are both original owners?
Have they kept maintenance records? (important for me)
Have the rear splines been lubed with Honda moly 60?
Cooling systems maintained?

No smog requirements on either. I`m sure others will`chime in`as well.

Good luck!
Don

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I agree with Don.
The moly 60 is the huge factor on a post '96 bike.

Mark

OP
OP
feltrider
Bike
Between bikes
FYI: I just returned from a test ride of the '01. He is the original owner, has all the maintenance records, but had dropped the bike in a gas station shortly after purchase. Front black cowling just behind the front tire is missing a 4? piece and the left mirror housing is scratched. Tags are out of date (Feb. ?09) and there is a slight hesitation at low RPMs.

I am a stickler for keep my bikes up, so I am a little worried that he had not replaced the broken plastic.

I think the price is pretty good at $4,200.00 with 24750 miles. Comments appreciated.

freeSTyle

freeSTyle Don
STOC #
Feltrider* Just thinking out loud here. If the bike has sit for a time there`s a good chance the carbs need cleaning. Or perhaps a good carb sync would help? If you return see if it hesitates at a specific rpm.
Are you referring to the`lower cowl`? If so,that and the mirrow cover are available from Honda. Perhaps he will negociate to cover those cost?
Mark* We were in Arizona recently and met a fellow there you had helped when buying an 1100. His name was Russ.(I think)
Don

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Felt,

I'd suspect dirty carbs too... if you pick it up run a dose of Sea Foam through it and then sync the carbs.
I wouldn't worry too much about the broken/scratched plastic... just replace it so it'll be "your" bike!
That seems like a good price to me...

Don,
I helped Russ out with a loaner seat while Spencer did his magic.
Sorry we missed you!

Mark

STOC #
Hi Don!

Good point about the splines. I can't seem to get my pics posted so I deleted it. Here is a link to an old post about moly and spines.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35150&page=2
Feltrider....take a look at my bad splines and be afraid. It can get ugly back there.

Don,,,hope to see y'all at TentSToc. Gettin' good riding in these days and should be ready.

Last edited:

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
You should check the swingarm connection points and frame between those points along with the exhaust system in the same area. Those areas are subject to corrosion if neglected.

OP
OP
feltrider
Bike
Between bikes
Thanks, you have been a wealth of information.
You can keep it up if you like.

I am going back to check the on the things you have pointed out and all the records he has. The cowl and mirror housing add up to 219.54 from www.bikebandit.com.

If I buy it, first thing I will do is check the splines, you have me sufficiently scared!

Last edited:

freeSTyle

freeSTyle Don
STOC #
How long has the bike been for sale? If you`re certain you want it,why not present it as the deciding factor.

Ask to check the splines first. As an ST owner he should appreciate your concerns.

dON

STOC #
I am looking at a couple of ST1100s, a '97 with 50K miles and a '01 with 24K miles. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? The '97 is about $1200 less than the '01. I'm in CA, any smog requirements I should worry about?

I'd definitely pay the $1,200 for the newer bike with half the miles. Emissions certification is not an issue with over 7,500 miles.

Although I use Moly 60 myself, I wouldn't get all hung up over it. Most Dealers use ordinary wheel bearing grease, and the splines aren't wearing out. Goldwings use the same system, and I've seen them well over 100k, and the owner or shop never heard of Moly 60.

The problems occur with people who don't use any lubricant. If the owner understands what you are asking about, it shouldn't be a problem. Removing the rear wheel on an ST1100 is not a 5 minute job, so as a seller I'd want you to be standing there with the money, with the purchase to be completed if the splines are ok.

BTW. you will find about 1.5" of driveline lash (measured at the tire tread) in even a brand new ST1100, so don't assume that as an indicator of worn splines unless its significantly more than that.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I think the right way to test the splines it to try to wheelie the bike on the test drive. If you don't hear horrible noises and make it home ok, it will be ok:)

I just changed a rear tire with 8000mi. I could still see the Honda Moly clearly when I pulled the wheel. I could also see the Valvoline Moly Bearing grease that I used before.

OP
OP
feltrider
Bike
Between bikes
We are now talking in the $4K to $4,200.00 price range for the '01. I am a little concerend about the hesitation/miss, but the bike has been sitting for a while and I think the price is good.

I really wanted ABS, but I may pull the trigger on this one.

Thanks again for all your help.:bow1:

STOC #
3xxx
Feltrider,
Where are you located? So-Cal is a big "state"....... I wouldn't worry about the splines. A good tell tell, is to take a magnet with you and run it around the wheel. See what you pick up. Granted, they may have been ground earlier and cleaned up, but if the bike has only 24k on it, the O-rings are probably in good shape. Unless someone removed the flange and forgot to put the thrust washer back, I would be all over that price.

did the guy do his own wheels, if so ask his process.

The I had an 01 with 130k, zero problems. Let me know If you are in the San Diego area and maybe I can help you out with some things.

Hey Don and Larry, Looking forward to yosemite.

OP
OP
feltrider
Bike
Between bikes
Thanks,

I am in Lake Forest (EL Toro), Orange County. No, I am sure he did not do his own work, if he was able I am sure he would have replaced the broken cowl at least, I would. He doesn't seem like the wrenching type. Seems like a nice guy, but I only spoke to him for a few minutes. He just tossed me the keys and said have fun. I suggested that he check to see if I and others have a MC endorsement.

Last edited:
Bike
still deciding
STOC #

I would hold out for an ABS Model. Besides having ABS the ABS model has 43mm Forks vs. 41mm for the non-ABS. Also ABS model has stronger linked brakes.

Top Bottom