Bye, bye ST1100 & Hello R1200R

SpkLife

SpkLife
Hello Amazing ST1100 Forum Folks!

I really enjoyed getting to know some of you over the last year that I've had my ST1100. I just felt very strongly that I needed ABS at a minimum and Traction Control if possible and I just couldn't get another ST1100 at the right time and budget. Soooo, I started looking around and decieded well now if I just up my budget just a TAD then I could get something with ABS and TC. It would mean my friednly bank would be a co-owner but... if only I could get something errr cheap enough, you know.

So I went on the hunt and here's my story and my intro to the R1200R forum...

Part 1
So I've had a few bikes over the years and have started riding regularly about 5 years ago when I discovered the Sport Touring world. Soooo I've been living in a cave. :). I purchased a well used 2003 1150RT-P and it was the most comfortable bike I had ever had with panniers and what a strange engine too. I grew to enjoy the bike and it's BMWness but it had a lot of issues (it was an old police bike and not well cared for) and started looking at other bikes. In the meantime I was also introduced to some great people from the BMW clubs and still ride with them. Sooooo, on to a 2012 Super Tenere which was a great bike but not a great bike to learn how to ride dirt on (somethings I just have to learn the hard way no matter what the internet says!). Then an 99 ST1100 and how what a smoooottthhhh ride but.... I needed/wanted ABS and if possible Traction Control. Now for some reason I kept being drawn back to the boxer engine and I test rode an mid 2000 RT and new-er GS. Since I had a budget I needed to stay within and had already had touring bike and dual sport I started looking at the R1200R Standards. Although I never rode in the 2012 model years that's what I was looking for when I started seeing some really cheap 2015 models out there, err cheap that is within my budget! There was one near me and the owner graciously let me ride his and oh man I LOVED IT. As one person told me who has the 2012 that after I rode the 2015 it would be hard to look back - but oh my budget!! So I started futile search looking for a 2015 in my budget and saw a 15' white and red, with 6,100 miles and a few farkles on the internet with a Buy It Now of 9.5k and out of my range but the bid (which hadn't reached the Reserve was only 6.5K (in my range ha!), another was a beautiful one up in Hampton, VA and I got them down low from a starting price of 12k. We we're just about to seal the deal and the dealer mentioned the Rebuilt title - dang!
I'm not sure about you but when I get on the hunt I really want to finish the hunt otherwise I'm not eating, sleeping, bathing... everything revolves around the hunt (sorry Honey). Hmm, as I'm writing and considering this tunnel vision it might be a tad bit over the top! Well, I'm a work in progress and I'm grateful the Good Lord is patient with me. :)

So, then I'm on to another one somewhere in the go ol USofA and think... I wonder what ever happended to that one on eBay. So it's 10pm in the evening and I check eBay and lo and behold there's 5 minutes left on the bidding and the high bid is at $6,800! WHAT!! Now this is for a 2015 R1200R in the White and Red paint scheme, 6,100 miles and some farkles like an aftermarket exhaust, led turn signals, 2 Vstream windshields, new tires, tank bag (no side bags), bar risers and aftermarket mirrors. Alright, so the reserve isn't met but can't a guy dream!

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Hello Amazing ST1100 Forum Folks!

I really enjoyed getting to know some of you over the last year that I've had my ST1100. I just felt very strongly that I needed ABS at a minimum and Traction Control if possible and I just couldn't get another ST1100 at the right time and budget. Soooo, I started looking around and decieded well now if I just up my budget just a TAD then I could get something with ABS and TC. It would mean my friednly bank would be a co-owner but... if only I could get something errr cheap enough, you know.

So I went on the hunt and here's my story and my intro to the R1200R forum...

Part 1
So I've had a few bikes over the years and have started riding regularly about 5 years ago when I discovered the Sport Touring world. Soooo I've been living in a cave. :). I purchased a well used 2003 1150RT-P and it was the most comfortable bike I had ever had with panniers and what a strange engine too. I grew to enjoy the bike and it's BMWness but it had a lot of issues (it was an old police bike and not well cared for) and started looking at other bikes. In the meantime I was also introduced to some great people from the BMW clubs and still ride with them. Sooooo, on to a 2012 Super Tenere which was a great bike but not a great bike to learn how to ride dirt on (somethings I just have to learn the hard way no matter what the internet says!). Then an 99 ST1100 and how what a smoooottthhhh ride but.... I needed/wanted ABS and if possible Traction Control. Now for some reason I kept being drawn back to the boxer engine and I test rode an mid 2000 RT and new-er GS. Since I had a budget I needed to stay within and had already had touring bike and dual sport I started looking at the R1200R Standards. Although I never rode in the 2012 model years that's what I was looking for when I started seeing some really cheap 2015 models out there, err cheap that is within my budget! There was one near me and the owner graciously let me ride his and oh man I LOVED IT. As one person told me who has the 2012 that after I rode the 2015 it would be hard to look back - but oh my budget!! So I started futile search looking for a 2015 in my budget and saw a 15' white and red, with 6,100 miles and a few farkles on the internet with a Buy It Now of 9.5k and out of my range but the bid (which hadn't reached the Reserve was only 6.5K (in my range ha!), another was a beautiful one up in Hampton, VA and I got them down low from a starting price of 12k. We we're just about to seal the deal and the dealer mentioned the Rebuilt title - dang!
I'm not sure about you but when I get on the hunt I really want to finish the hunt otherwise I'm not eating, sleeping, bathing... everything revolves around the hunt (sorry Honey). Hmm, as I'm writing and considering this tunnel vision it might be a tad bit over the top! Well, I'm a work in progress and I'm grateful the Good Lord is patient with me. :)

So, then I'm on to another one somewhere in the go ol USofA and think... I wonder what ever happended to that one on eBay. So it's 10pm in the evening and I check eBay and lo and behold there's 5 minutes left on the bidding and the high bid is at $6,800! WHAT!! Now this is for a 2015 R1200R in the White and Red paint scheme, 6,100 miles and some farkles like an aftermarket exhaust, led turn signals, 2 Vstream windshields, new tires, tank bag (no side bags), bar risers and aftermarket mirrors. Alright, so the reserve isn't met but can't a guy dream!
So, I'm awaiting Part II. You know, the part where you find a 2015 BMW in white/red at a price within your budget. :)
No matter which way you go, do stay here as all riders are welcome.
Best of luck with the hunt.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome back, did your name change on the forum?

I think you got a great deal on a great bike even it blows your Stich pockets open!

OP
OP
SpkLife

SpkLife

SpkLife
Thanks for the comments!

Part 2

So I think what's my budget really, right? My budget max is 8k so I figure I'll bid...$7,199! I mean let's really dream, so I bid thinking I really want it and I kinda really don't want it because it's way over in Waco, TX. I know, I know people ship bikes all over but my poor budget so I figure if I get it at $7,199 I'll figure it out and the bank thinks it's worth about 12k. I man up to the eBay bidding window on my computer screen and slap-em down (while my wife's downstairs finishing a project downstairs that wasn't going well so I help her out and now she's really happy with the project and me) well tap and "click" my bid of $7,199. Then eBay shoots right back I'll be over bid and I should increase my bid (not to mention the reserve insint even met yet) so I hold my ground and say will if it's meant to be it's meant to be and click NO BUENO. Also, I'm thinking I should tell my wife I just bid on a motorcycle but nah I'm not going win this one anyway and she's happy now so why bother.
Why is it that the last few minutes of waiting for something like this can take such a loooonnnggg time?? So I wait for minutes after I submit my bid with 10 seconds left on the clock and wait and nothing and my hearts just a racing away and nothing and them...YOU"VE WON! Congratulations and now how do you want to pay? WHAT? What do you mean I WON I need to pay, I wasn't supposed to win I was supposed to be out bid but I WON. Oh No, Oh Man, Oh Shoot, Oh YEAH, Right-On, SWEET!!!

I won it for $7,199 on the nose - It Was Meant To Be

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Congrats! You should be able to get it shipped Waco to Jacksonville for $300-$400. Or, with cheap flights now, maybe do a fly-n-ride... way more fun than shipping.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Thanks for the comments!

Part 2

So I think what's my budget really, right? My budget max is 8k so I figure I'll bid...$7,199! I mean let's really dream, so I bid thinking I really want it and I kinda really don't want it because it's way over in Waco, TX. I know, I know people ship bikes all over but my poor budget so I figure if I get it at $7,199 I'll figure it out and the bank thinks it's worth about 12k. I man up to the eBay bidding window on my computer screen and slap-em down (while my wife's downstairs finishing a project downstairs that wasn't going well so I help her out and now she's really happy with the project and me) well tap and "click" my bid of $7,199. Then eBay shoots right back I'll be over bid and I should increase my bid (not to mention the reserve insint even met yet) so I hold my ground and say will if it's meant to be it's meant to be and click NO BUENO. Also, I'm thinking I should tell my wife I just bid on a motorcycle but nah I'm not going win this one anyway and she's happy now so why bother.
Why is it that the last few minutes of waiting for something like this can take such a loooonnnggg time?? So I wait for minutes after I submit my bid with 10 seconds left on the clock and wait and nothing and my hearts just a racing away and nothing and them...YOU"VE WON! Congratulations and now how do you want to pay? WHAT? What do you mean I WON I need to pay, I wasn't supposed to win I was supposed to be out bid but I WON. Oh No, Oh Man, Oh Shoot, Oh YEAH, Right-On, SWEET!!!

I won it for $7,199 on the nose - It Was Meant To Be

Forgivness is easier than permission.

OP
OP
SpkLife

SpkLife

SpkLife
a short Part 3...

Soooo, how to pick up the bike? Fly and ride is the way to go for me and here I come Waco, Texas. Oh the back roads and joys of man and machine and boy flights are cheeaapp!!! But hold on just a minute - I forgot a little detail of asking my boss for the time off (I am blessed that with COVID-19 I've been "working from home"). Let's see now Mr. Boss I have an urgent personal matter that I need to take care of in ahh Waco,Tx is it ok to take a few days off? No, the infection rate isn't bad there (uh oh) and oh you have to ask the Big Boss who has to ask his boss if I can take off and the Mayor has final say. Errr, let me see if I can take care of this urgent personal matter remotely. There goes my fly and ride man and machine nirvana!:doh1:

Here's the um other side of the working from home for me. A week into working from home my Amazing and Treasured wife (I divorced her and remarried her so I'm serious) says hey we should... Paint the house, WHAT, we have time but errr that's not for another few years! So we paint the house and the trim (I'm a very compartmentalized person, paint the house doesn't include trim, just the big stuff), make a sand box for our little grandson, figure out how to use U-Ship, wax the floors, de-rust and paint the outside chairs, clean the roof where trees have made it dirty, choose a shipper, replace the broken lug on her truck (I mean there are 5 more so what's the rush, right), get a bike shipped from TX, fix the rusty sink drain and thank goodness it wasn't the sink, the bikes on the way, wash the windows, take delivery of the bike, and oh no paint the house means paint the chimney! Well, the list goes on but she's happy, I'm happy and I got my new bike!! :run1:

The delivery was pretty painless and cost $270, I used Uship and it worked out pretty well door to door. Although I did have some offers to put it in the back of a pick-up, I passed.

OP
OP
SpkLife

SpkLife

SpkLife
No panniers but I found these and here’s the eBay link too

Attachments

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400