Caliper Rebuild Kits?

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I just replaced my rear tire and had a bit of trouble getting the rear brake pads in without dragging (forgot how fussy those can be). All appears to be well now, but with 80k miles on the bike, I think a caliper rebuild may be in the not too distant future (I'd like to order the parts in advance along with some other stuff I need). What do you all use for caliper rebuild kits (if such a thing exists). Is the only option ordering the individual seals and rubber bits? Seems like that could add up pretty quickly. I see some out on eBay, but don't know how good they are. I would prefer to stick with OEM Honda parts if possible. Thanks in advance.

Bike
2010 ST1300
No idea about ebay, but if you go to the parts fiches, when Honda makes a kit, they put a box around the parts in the kit (or assembly). On the item list you will find that kit/assembly listed and priced separately from the individual parts. I don't recall seeing a caliper rebuild kit tho it's been a while since I looked at that fiche.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
When I did the front calipers I used a couple Honda pistons, as I was in a hurry. Doing it again, I'd be looking closely at Brakemaster stainless steel pistons. Verify dimensions with a vernier caliper, but if in spec should be superior to plated steel.

RT

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
No idea about ebay, but if you go to the parts fiches, when Honda makes a kit, they put a box around the parts in the kit (or assembly). On the item list you will find that kit/assembly listed and priced separately from the individual parts. I don't recall seeing a caliper rebuild kit tho it's been a while since I looked at that fiche.
There is no kit shown on the fiche.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I just replaced my rear tire and had a bit of trouble getting the rear brake pads in without dragging (forgot how fussy those can be). All appears to be well now, but with 80k miles on the bike, I think a caliper rebuild may be in the not too distant future (I'd like to order the parts in advance along with some other stuff I need). What do you all use for caliper rebuild kits (if such a thing exists). Is the only option ordering the individual seals and rubber bits? Seems like that could add up pretty quickly. I see some out on eBay, but don't know how good they are. I would prefer to stick with OEM Honda parts if possible. Thanks in advance.
Have a look at the WEMOTO website, their gear is very good and a lot of OEM stuff available at good prices and usually delivered very quickly.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I found this (1702-0343) which shows that they're from Nissin which is the OEM supplier for Honda. I think that should work.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Unfortunately, all is not as well as I'd hoped. The rear brakes are still making noise (though not as bad as at first) and the rotor is getting very hot. I'm pretty confident the pads are seated correctly. The pads were pretty well worn, but not completely shot. I've ordered another pair. As I posted in another thread, I tried gluing the retainer, but then pulled it out, removed the glue and reassembled. The rear wheel seems to be rotating freely enough. I've had to ground the bike until I figure out what's going on. Glad I have a second bike!

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
The pads are dragging because there is crud in the caliper. Needs a teardown, clean out, remove corrosion, scrape out the mung in the seal grooves, polish or replace the pistons and reassemble with some red grease. It's a pretty simple job, I did the two front calipers in less than an hour and a half. Just make sure you have all you need prior to starting.

RT

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I figured out the issues I was having. I fixed the rotor getting hot by removing the caliper from the mounting bracket and cleaning/lubing the sliders so it would move freely laterally. That will be part of standard maintenance from now on when removing the rear wheel. The noise was fixed by replacing the rear pads. They appeared to have some life left but apparently not. What threw me a curve was that they were okay before replacing the rear tire, so I assumed I did something wrong. Glad I got it sorted before my trip to Georgia STOC!

Last edited:
Top Bottom