Cam Chain Adjustment.

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Hi Guys, had a quick look round and also looked in the BIG book but can't find the method/sequence for tightening the Cam Chains...

I know there's an important part involving TDC but can anyone point me in the right direction such as an ARTICLE on this maintenance procedure please?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The cam chains are self adjusting, you don't have to touch them unless you have been adjusting your shims and have had the camshafts out.
One adjuster is easy to access on the left hand side of the crankcase. The other is buried beneath the mat, tubes, throtle bodies and mouse nest under the air box.
If you undo them then you will need a replacement crush washer to seal it - because the one in the Vee of the engine is probably going to want to stay down there.

The info about TDC is in two places in the workshop manual
Section 3 - 9 Maintenance / Valve Clearances.
And Section 8 - Cylinder Head / Valves.

You need to read both sections to get the full information.

OP
OP
Mr.E

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Many thanks John, I'm sync'ing the Injectors at the moment ready for my next 2,500 mile French trip in September so thought I'd do the Cam Chains while all the plastics off. Balancer backlash was done last week so just the above to finish off.
That must be the reason there's nothing in the BIG book on Cam Chain adjusting! One less job to do ;)
Valves/shims haven't been touched as all is fine there.
Funny you should mention Mouse Nests, I've never known that to be a problem over this side of the pond, very strange...

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
No mouse issues up here in Yorkshire either. But we have cats.

The cam adjusters are a spring wound helix - as soon as there is a smidgeon of slack, the spring screws the helix out and pushes the guide against the chain. The chain isn't able to push it back.

You will enjoy the Yeehah moment when you open the throttle after doing the starter valves. Smooth rapid power. Keep your eye on the speedo. When you think you've reached 70, you will be doing 90. The change is that impressive.

Hope your 2500 French trip goes well - The Alps ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.E

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
She was buzzing like a happy Bee when I sync'd her before my French trip last year and returned 70 mpg which was unbelievable!
The French fuel seems to be better than the UK for some reason but it is a few more euros than here compared to last September, no matter, Vive la France!

Alps and the Gorges every time, routes all planned & plotted with 14 days on all the twisty smooth D roads - absolutely no Autoroutes and Toll booths on this trip for sure. :cool:

:slvr11:

OP
OP
Mr.E

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Yep I know, it isn't sounding right but total journey was 2,683 miles and used around 159 Lts (35 gallons)

I'll do the calculation again in September and report back...

I'll admit I do use Archoil fuel additive at 1ml to every Lt but this only adds a few pennies to each Lt.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
returned 70 mpg which was unbelievable!
My calculations reveal that it is even better than that.

2683 miles = 4318 Km. 159 litres = 34.98 Imp. gallons / 42 US gallons.
That equates to;
- 76.7 miles per imperial gallon.
- 63.9 miles per US gallon.
- 27.2 Km/L.

As an average, that is really good fuel efficiency, especially if these numbers were also attained on back road twisties in the mountains.

Bike
2010 ST1300
When most everyone here has posted mpgs in the 40 to 50 range, 70 sounds impressive. Either you are running so lean that your plugs' color is white or to coin a phrase, 'if it's too good to be true, it probably is'. Did you only ride downhill in the alps?

edit, just reread Andrew's post. 64mpg USgal isn't so spectacular that its outside the realm of the possible, and if gas pumps have a 10% accuracy you might be correct (esp if we throw in odometer inaccuracy).

Bike
2009 ST1300
not sure where it is on the site but Igofar corresponded fairly extensively in a thread probably fourteen months ago in a previous thread which covered the subject succinctly [I don't think I've ever typed that word... where was I...] my guess would be beyond that maybe you're too loose.

tolose... wasn't that a band?

I think they were a french canadian / one hit wonder, way to highjack a ... wait!!!

moderate me... moderate me.... I need moderation.... what kind of a.... what sort of people are... have you no decen, what sort of hospital is this!!!!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
edit, just reread Andrew's post. 64mpg USgal isn't so spectacular that its outside the realm of the possible, and if gas pumps have a 10% accuracy you might be correct (esp if we throw in odometer inaccuracy).
Its not so spectacular under specific conditions that happen during a ride, but as an overall average its bloody good. If it was done on twisty mountain roads, its bloody good to say the least

OP
OP
Mr.E

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
The ride included many Autoroutes, very cold Mountain tops and very hot deep Gorges all with too many switchbacks to count.

French speed cameras are prolific and many difficult to spot, detectors are not allowed and the Police spot fines are hard (especially for bikers) and will hurt if you're caught so speed limits are strictly adhered to - anyway, if you feel the need to race through a country you might as well fly if getting there is the thing.

Speed was top of the list when I was young but not now, although I might have a little burst now & again when conditions are right.

We didn't get to this ripe old age by accident you know! :rofl1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom