Cam chain tension question

Bike
2003 ST1300
I need to adjust a few valves on the right side. I have uncovered the access to the cam chain tensioner. When I screw the tensioner in as far as it will go, I get very little slack in the chain. I had a similar problem with the left tensioner and ended up taking the tensioner completely out and still had very little slack in the chain on that side. When others release their tensioners, do you get plenty of slack and the chain just pulls (easily) off the cam sprockets? My left side adjustments were very frustrating and I feel like the right side is not going to go any easier? (bike is an 03 ST1300 with 46000 miles)
Thanks for any cam chain engineering help.:confused:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
My recollection is that you still have to tilt the cams forward a bit to remove the chain from the sprockets, even with the tensioner all the way released. it sure makes it tricky replacing the cams later doesn't it?

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
You should be able to lift the cam in the back and get the chain off the cam sprocket. Make SURE the chain is sitting in the bottom sprocket properly. A chain link might be riding on top of a tooth at the bottom, making the chain seem tighter. I know I had this problem on one side after taking the cam out. I didnt keep the chain tight enough while the cam was out, and had to get the chain back "on track" on the bottom sprocket.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
My recollection is that you still have to tilt the cams forward a bit to remove the chain from the sprockets, even with the tensioner all the way released. it sure makes it tricky replacing the cams later doesn't it?
Yes it does, from my experience on the left bank. On that side, I took the tensioner completely out, trying to get more slack. It just does not seem normal, not getting sufficient slack to take the chain off the sprockets. I am trying to figure out if this is how others have to deal with the chain or not. I am wondering if Honda changed the tensioner on newer models or added a link or two to the chain? My next step is to remove the throttle bodies and completely remove the tensioner? This just should not be this difficult?:confused:

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
There is not much slack. You will still need to tilt up to get it off. Normal.
Posted via Mobile Device

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I think this is a safety feature. The cam chain is not long enough to come off of the sprockets in the event of a tensioner failure. You have to also tilt the sprocket down to lift the chain off. I think this is pretty standard cam chain drive design practice.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I'm trying to recall how much deflection there was in the chain between the two cams when the tensioner was relaxed... maybe a half inch or so. It wasn't that much. But you should not have to remove the tensioner at all to do this. How many shims do you need to change on the right side? Are they truly out of tolerance or are you just moving everything to center?

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
I'm trying to recall how much deflection there was in the chain between the two cams when the tensioner was relaxed... maybe a half inch or so. It wasn't that much. But you should not have to remove the tensioner at all to do this. How many shims do you need to change on the right side? Are they truly out of tolerance or are you just moving everything to center?
Two exhaust valves are at 0.008" . These are the only ones out of spec but I thought I would change shims in two intakes that are at 0.005" while I had the cams out. I am going to remove the holders today and tilt the cams and see how it goes. When I did the left bank a year ago, I managed to get it out of time and created my own nightmare. I finally got it figured out. Thanks for the input.

Byron

STOC #
Yes it does, from my experience on the left bank. On that side, I took the tensioner completely out, trying to get more slack. It just does not seem normal, not getting sufficient slack to take the chain off the sprockets. I am trying to figure out if this is how others have to deal with the chain or not. I am wondering if Honda changed the tensioner on newer models or added a link or two to the chain? My next step is to remove the throttle bodies and completely remove the tensioner? This just should not be this difficult?:confused:
No need to remove the tensioner. My guess is they left just enough slack in the chain so there wasn't excess that the tensioner had to deal with. As previously stated just lift the cam off the journals until you can free the sprocket from the chain. I store the cams in Zip-lock baggies to keep them clean. If I remember correctly the right intake cam has an attachment in front of the sprocket (timing pickups I think) in case you forget which cam was intake or exhaust.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
No need to remove the tensioner. My guess is they left just enough slack in the chain so there wasn't excess that the tensioner had to deal with. As previously stated just lift the cam off the journals until you can free the sprocket from the chain. I store the cams in Zip-lock baggies to keep them clean. If I remember correctly the right intake cam has an attachment in front of the sprocket (timing pickups I think) in case you forget which cam was intake or exhaust.
Thanks to all for the input and yes I will try to change the shims and leave the tensioner in place. I did notice the intake cam sprocket has two prongs which I assume generates a timing pulse for a sensor just above the tensioner.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Well guys and gals, it went well, cams came right off after tilting forward. I think I must have had a brain *art and thought I was much younger and taking the chain off my bicycle sprocket......... Oh I just pray the cams go back in as easily and I don't jump time?? All I need now is a hand full of shims.
Thanks again for all input. I sure would like to get ole Silver back together before the weather warms. I have parts laying in a lot of different places at the moment. :D

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I suppose its too late already but I like to put a little mark on both cam sprockets and the chain to help me make sure everything is back in alignment after putting things back together.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Yes Scooter, I did make reference marks on both cams and the chain. But I also did that on the left bank and when I turned the crankshaft the chain still jumped a tooth or something (it made a noise) and I had ZERO fun getting it back in time. These things seems to get easier after you've screwed up a couple of times.
"The amount of time and money spent are directly proportional to the number of lessons learned and equipment ruined."

Top Bottom