Camp Chair Ideas please

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
So I carried a lawn chair, the standard I use for camping trips, but found a major drawback.
On the ST1300, the ends obscure my view to the rear in the mirrors, due to its length and the low-mount position of the reflective features on the bike.
I'm not inclined to spend the $100 or so for the BMW-favored Kermit (I think that's the name), so what is your favorite camp chair for traveling on 2 wheels? I need something that will go across the seat without effectively blinding me to the rear.
Here's a photo of my pack mule, with everything I brought. The orange drybag aids in keeping the lawn chair in place, and the bag contains my tent, Thermarest sleeping pad, and sleeping bag. And incidentally, I never even took the chair out of its bag the whole trip. Photo taken at my campsite, Lake Junaluska Campground
(Note the orange sidestand puck, required for the soggy ground.)

(EDIT: sorry, admins -- I really did look for a Camping forum to put this in, but obviously I didn't see it. My Bad!)

ST at Junaluska campground.jpg

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I really like the Pico as a favorite chair but, when putting it on the rear seat, the metal bars might touch the pass grab rails and wear off paint. Also, depending on what bike you have, the rear pass seat may not be very long and cause that to push into your back.

The Kermit is 2nd in comfort however, I prefer the REI and Amazon knock offs not because they are cheap but because they allow me to be efficient in my packing. The Pico and Kermit take up some space and I don't always use a camp chair. A lot of the time I just sit on the picnic table and not hassle with putting a chair together. Plus, these other chairs take up very little space and will fit in a saddlebag, top box or inside a tail bag... can't do that w/Pico or Kermit.

Some of these Amazon chairs even have high backs and leg extensions. I'm ok with the typical std height of them myself but that's more because I want to keep my packing efficient and small for something I used once in a while.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
We always camp when we ride, but I hate to sit on the ground, so I just carry a simple 3 legged camp chair. Folds up nice and small and isn't bulky to pack, plus I can easily carry it with me if we're walking or hiking around somewhere. Not as comfortable as a lazy boy, but works surprisingly well.

Attachments

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Dean, after posting the image and the thumbnail in the post, just cursor back and delete the big image. This just leaves the thumbnail. You can also select the image and size it with the corner handles if want to leave the image in but make it smaller.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Another option if you like a higher seat height and even a high back padded headrest and some larger feet but not sure how effective those are:

I have one of these and it's nice but starts to get bigger from a packing size point of view, still not as big of a packed size as pico or kermit but a couple inches larger than the other typical camping chairs on amazon.

Some comparisons (seat height about 4 inches taller):

IMG_20220106_082552.jpg

IMG_20220106_082602.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
PS: if your going to change the wiring device’s you really should do the outlet along with the plate ha! :rofl1:
Im kinda in the middle of that STUFF!!!
LOL.. yeah I know, I just don't like flipping the fuse box switches. Thanks, now I'll be staring at that more as I just started to forget about it... I replaced with some that have leds at the bottom and a light sensor as I was getting a lot of midnight calls for work and helps me not trip over things...

IMG_20220106_093602.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Lighted Outlet Wall Plates... pretty cool... didn't even know they existed.
You can find some cheaper ones at Home Depot or Lowes, $10 each. I have some in my kitchen which are 'kinda' like under cabinet lighting, only not.. lol but a lot easier to install. I put these in my dark hallways and places where I could walk around at night and not have to turn on the main lights.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
PS: if your going to change the wiring device’s you really should do the outlet along with the plate ha! :rofl1:
Im kinda in the middle of that STUFF!!!
I put laminate flooring on my entire downstairs on top of my tile after a foundation issue cracked that - didn't know the original tile installer just installed to the foundation without any layer so too much of a pain to fix the cracks but love how fast and easy laminate is... I went with vinyl plank flooring in the master bath.

Attachments

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I was given the helinox chair zero as a xmas gift because I admired the tiny size of it folded.
1f44fdd5-ac23-4add-b20f-612b2f8acc32.jpeg
Then I sat in it...way too small, too low and too unstable for me.
Took it back to REI and had a great time sitting in all their chairs. Felt a strong urge for a cold brew in my hand to replicate that camping feeling. Nevertheless, I settled on the Flexilite Camp boss chair. Significantly more comfortable, higher off the ground and much more stable. Kinda night and day for me. Best of all it's $80 compared to the chair zero at $120.
99c97a89-786f-4023-aece-72562eb2b1dc.jpeg

They only one I liked better, comfort-wise was the Big Agnus Big Six chair with cup holders built in but that was $200 and quite a bit bigger folded so not even a contender.

72a3e8e7-7cd5-414d-b8e0-b23f8d89bc94.jpeg

Top Bottom