camshaft timing

hi there,can anybody help,i had the waterpump sieze ,which broke the timing belt and bent some valves ,finished re-building the heads fitted back on bike,set the right side cams no probs,now the left side just wont set right,i have found four different posts on different sites as to how to set them ,some say that the manual is wrong,does anybody have photos of the cams in the right position,showing the position of the the cam lobes so i can try that,cheers.:confused:

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
The Cam lobes are very vague so that's not much to go on.
I have my Valve covers off for an adjustment right now and can send pics of whatever you want.
3 things to line up
1 Crank T1 or T4
2 Cam/Belt gear Index on gear to index on cover.
3 Camshafts have an index groove on the ends that should be facing away from each other 180 degrees.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
In the OEM w/shop manual its like follows: T1 mark on crank pulley (T|F|1) <- the line between T and F needs to overlap with the triangle on the case inside, plus the punch-mark be at the position of the notch on the casing sidewall); both cam sided pulleys have a punch-mark on their rim, which must meet the little notch on the t/belt housings, and as mentioned do both cams have lines embossed that must face outward from each other and be flush with the edge of the head. I'd start by aligning cams and cam sided pulleys.

Outlaws

Outlawarrior
Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
Sorry to hear about your failure. What year, how many miles and what kind of maintenance history?
Good luck.

OP
OP
i tried using the timing marks sugested in the manual,didt line up,finally got it running,the cam lobes on cyl 1 and cyl 3 either face each other or face away from each other but on 2 and 4 they look random,tried matching them as per 1 and 3 but that didnt work,

OP
OP
while you have the timing marks lined up and the index lines on the right side cams facing out and level with the cylinder head,could you take a picture of the left side cams so i can verify that i have my cam lobes in the right position,cheers.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
The cam marks can be off 1 or 2 teeth without interference but the timing will be off. I've actually found this condition on 2 bikes when we went to adjust the cam shims. Both bikes had run that way for serious miles before finding the problem.

I've fiddled 'n fiddled 'n fiddled to get it right (on lipSTick at her last belt change.) It can be done. Don't recall which is which but the marks, as shown in the Honda manual, are correct. Belt should go on the crank gear, then left side cam gear first and right side cam gear last. I (finally) had to advance the right side gear a 1/2 tooth to get the belt to go on correctly or it would drop on 1 tooth retarded. PITA, but it can be done.

Keep us poSTed.

Sorry to hear about your problems going in. A busted belt is about the worst that can happen on the 1100 engine. Oh, wait, there is the cracked block syndrome. :(

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Pay particular attention to the T1 mark and the projection and dot on the crank gear. Install the timing belt observing all the alignment marks on the pulleys, then correct the cams by aligning them with the cylinder heads.

Bike
1998 ST 1100
I did this job last week on my new to me 98 and the last sentence of the instructions for tensioning the belt made me laugh. It sounded like "turn to your left, making a complete circle three times and toss a pinch of salt over your right shoulder when complete", but the darn tensioner moved, so Mother Honda wins again. :bow1: Hope this helps.

When installing a new belt, apply initial tension to the belt as follows:

Loosen the tensioner bolt.

Turn the crankshaft clockwise 2 to 4 full turns, and align the T1 Mark with the Index Mark. (The Index Lines on the driven pulleys must align with the Index Marks.)

Then turn the crankshaft clockwise 3 teeth further and tighten the tensioner bolt.

In the OEM w/shop manual its like follows: T1 mark on crank pulley (T|F|1) <- the line between T and F needs to overlap with the triangle on the case inside, plus the punch-mark be at the position of the notch on the casing sidewall); both cam sided pulleys have a punch-mark on their rim, which must meet the little notch on the t/belt housings, and as mentioned do both cams have lines embossed that must face outward from each other and be flush with the edge of the head. I'd start by aligning cams and cam sided pulleys.
right front is a line left is a notch as in picture confusing

Top Bottom