Can-Am Spyder stability and road-hugging

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My ex-BMW-riding friend has been riding his '10 Spyder RT for well over 1000 miles now, plus our ride to Watkins Glen. He is basically afraid of it. He doesn't even like riding on the interstate. Are they that unstable and scary?

He can barely maintain the speed limit on straight roads, and slows by 10 to 20 mph on the gentlest curves. Early on, he had taken a curve "too hot" and thought he was going into the ditch, what sounded like under-steer to me.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
It was under steer. Going into a curve too hot is not great for any vehicle. The Spyders are stable. If the 2 wheels were in the rear it would be unstable, but with 2 wheels up front it is much more stable. But they are different enough to need a lot of time to get used to that difference. I know several owners who have told me this anyway, not personal experience.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I rode one at a Cabelas demonstration a few years ago. They said to always read the manual, available free online, for tips on how to ride them through curves, etc. They also said the computer which controls everything will also sense if one of the front wheels is starting to lift and then brake the rear wheel to bring it right back down. Crazy Carl, rest his soul, could whip his through curves and had to be told to not pass in curves on a group ride.
Greg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It’s 14 years old. Maybe it’s out of alignment and more twitchy than it should be and I’ve read and heard Can-Am steering is direct and quick when in perfect condition. If you’ve driven a light car with too much or too little toe angle you know they can be a handful.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
You also have to remember that even thought the bike is relatively steady, those forces are acting on your body which is sitting atop the 3 wheeler.
It can make you feel like your trying to be flung off in a decent sweeper vs how you lean more on a 2 wheeler.

1713201189348.png

Here's a similar principle to illustrate... :)

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I installed a Bajaron sway bar on the Can-Am Spyder that I bought for my girlfriend. Makes a world of difference. Also I found that if you lock your arm straight the opposite way you are turning and lean your body in the direction you are turning really helps.
I was ready to get ride of the Spyder before I figured it out.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Also tire pressure could be the adding to the problem. Reading the forums must run lower pressures than what Can-Am calls for. Might have to play with it to see what works better. Changing the sway bar will and learning how to steer it will make a world of difference. I had to make it safer before I was going to let my girlfriend ride it. She had no experience on bikes. She runs 80 on the slab no problem. She has less than 1,000 miles on it.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I installed a Bajaron sway bar on the Can-Am Spyder that I bought for my girlfriend.
He did install a Baja Ron anti-sway bar, and said it made a great improvement, but apparently not enough to make a real difference. He leans his upper body, but not very far, and can't lift up off the seat.

His front springs are set to the 2nd position. Being as he is heavy, I suggested setting them all the way up. He has to buy a spring wrench, since no tools came with it, so we have to wait to see if that helps.

He took a training class when he bought it, and was told to use less steering effort by using only one hand to push or pull at a time. He did lower the tire pressures per recommendations he read online.

When I asked him to get in the left lane so my helmet cam could see him better, he said he had to concentrate too hard on riding to change lanes. I can't imagine enjoying having to work that hard.

His biggest complaint about the Spyder is having to keep the engine RPMs up. He didn't really like the interstate on his BMW ('88 R100RT) either. He just has never been comfortable at higher speeds.

I had also suggested an alignment, which he said is a laser alignment and costs $800, and is unaffordable at this time. Is it really that expensive? Can an alignment be done on a standard car machine?

It's hard to believe that they are that difficult to ride. I haven't ridden one, but from what he says, they sound like they're barely road-worthy. Is the problem with him or is it the nature of the beast?

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
He did install a Baja Ron anti-sway bar, and said it made a great improvement, but apparently not enough to make a real difference. He leans his upper body, but not very far, and can't lift up off the seat.

His front springs are set to the 2nd position. Being as he is heavy, I suggested setting them all the way up. He has to buy a spring wrench, since no tools came with it, so we have to wait to see if that helps.

He took a training class when he bought it, and was told to use less steering effort by using only one hand to push or pull at a time. He did lower the tire pressures per recommendations he read online.

When I asked him to get in the left lane so my helmet cam could see him better, he said he had to concentrate too hard on riding to change lanes. I can't imagine enjoying having to work that hard.

His biggest complaint about the Spyder is having to keep the engine RPMs up. He didn't really like the interstate on his BMW ('88 R100RT) either. He just has never been comfortable at higher speeds.

I had also suggested an alignment, which he said is a laser alignment and costs $800, and is unaffordable at this time. Is it really that expensive? Can an alignment be done on a standard car machine?

It's hard to believe that they are that difficult to ride. I haven't ridden one, but from what he says, they sound like they're barely road-worthy. Is the problem with him or is it the nature of the beast?
Given how many I see on the roads around here I cannot imagine them being that difficult to pilot. I think it's the user :)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Sounds like he isn't really suited for three wheels, or even two. His apparent level of nervousness has to be exacerbating his perceived difficulties with riding the thing.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Sounds to me he should probably just sell it.
We took our first road trip this last weekend to RanchSTOC. Only 300 miles there. I was on my Triumph Trophy. She was on her Spyder. It’s nowhere near as fun as being on two wheels. But it is still fun to ride. And I feel safer with her on 3 wheels, automatic and I brake pedal having never rode before.
My biggest complaint is mpg. Very thirsty!

Hi Larry ,you would want a small amount of toe in ,shop manual should have the specs. But usaully its about an 1/8 of an inch to a 1/4 of an inch. The front measurement should be smaller than the rear measurement. Hopefully the tires are running straight.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I remember last summer I followed a couple on two CanAms they weren’t going the speed limit but close. There were many curves and I couldn’t see to pass them. The thing I noticed was how odd they looked in the turns. I’d be leaning into the turn and they seemed to going the other way. It was odd to follow them and passed as soon as I could. They didn’t fight with the cycle but surely a strange technique to watch. They were having fun though.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Well, my friend can't be having that much fun if he's having to concentrate too hard to even change lanes.

I enrolled in a Can-Am Experience event so I can "qualify" to ride my friend's Spyder and see what's what.

If he'll let me, that is. With him, I can never be too sure. He may be afraid to find out whether it's him or it.

Top Bottom