Can I use any 205/50R17?

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Well I have to say that this tire has made a believer out of me( not to be confused with a Beliber). I finally had a chance to ride yesterday and my initial thoughts were it was squirmy so I rechecked the pressure and found it was at 32. I filled it back to 40 and it made a world of difference.

After work I rode to a park that's about 5 miles from my house and proceeded to do figure 8's and tight circles. It felt firmly planted the whole time.

Today I rechecked the pressure and found it was at 32 again. Turns out in my laziness I didn't change the valve stem and it was leaking. So out came the irons and I was able to squeeze a new one in with just a few cuss words. I then proceeded to put 300 miles on it going through the only curvy road in northern Illinois, Starved Rock State Park. Initially I was real cautious getting into the curves but after a few runs I started to go faster and sharper. Never lost traction or felt unsafe.

Probably one of the best moves I'd made on this bike so far.

Brian.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Well I have to say that this tire has made a believer out of me( not to be confused with a Beliber). I finally had a chance to ride yesterday and my initial thoughts were it was squirmy so I rechecked the pressure and found it was at 32. I filled it back to 40 and it made a world of difference.

After work I rode to a park that's about 5 miles from my house and proceeded to do figure 8's and tight circles. It felt firmly planted the whole time.

Today I rechecked the pressure and found it was at 32 again. Turns out in my laziness I didn't change the valve stem and it was leaking. So out came the irons and I was able to squeeze a new one in with just a few cuss words. I then proceeded to put 300 miles on it going through the only curvy road in northern Illinois, Starved Rock State Park. Initially I was real cautious getting into the curves but after a few runs I started to go faster and sharper. Never lost traction or felt unsafe.

Probably one of the best moves I'd made on this bike so far.

Brian.

I too ran my Hankook up around 40psi to minimize the "wiggle". The center did wear a little quicker than the sides though, but worth the tradeoff in my opinion. Glad to hear you are enjoying the darkside.

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
So, you didn't crash and burn? :) Welcome to the Darkside.:ds1:
No, no crashing and burning. My initial thoughts were, I made a mistake. But that was because of the slow leak and the side wall flexed a lot. Once I corrected my leaking valve stem I got used to it.

I had a chance to stop at a dealer to look at some farkles and while there they had a few signs up telling the dangers of mounting a car tire on a motorcycle rim. I guess it's a valid point but show me the documented cases of failure and then maybe I'll reevaluate my stance on the car tire.

Brian

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well I had a chance to run my new rear tire today, I had some problems with the bead not sealing on the tire at first and had to pump it to make it seal. Well this morning I did not though a gauge on the tire and took off down Hwy 166 to meet up with Tim, I hit 105MPH and the bike got a high speed wiggle and I had to back off. When I got to New Cuyama I thew a gauge on the tire and it was at 5PSI no wonder the bike was all over at that speed. Lesson learned throw a gauge on the tire before you ride!!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Not one single case of documented failure.
Nor one case of someone doing an actual study and comparison.
Jyst lots of theories and conjecture without any evidence to back it up.

Around here all the dealers had out a supposed story of a fictitious dealer in Florida that lost his business from a lawsuit that emerged after the dealer mounted ip a tire he hadn't sold.

Top Bottom