Can you use an old style GL1500 CC switch for ccs100?

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Hey guys, I'm hoping one of you electronics gurus can help me here. I just ordered my ccs100 cruise control from Murphs kits for a winter project. I had always intended on using the police switch gear to control it and even have one of them in my to do box. Now the more I think about it, the more I think I might want the Goldwing switches instead. There are plenty of write ups on using the new backlit ones but what about the old ones? My ST is a '98 and there is a '98 GL1500 switchgear on eBay. Would this switch work? Anybody done it? Anybody got pics? I'd love to do the backlit one but I'm put off by the $150 price tag and the "cat head" size. Oh, and yes, I do have risers so it'll clear the tank. Thanks in advance!

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Don,

Yes, it should work. I did the write up on the backlit one. The only added thing from the old switch gear to the new is the wires for the backlite, and the reverse switch. You will need to find what wires go to what switch. Then hook up the wires from the CCS 100 to the switch it is calling for. You are just replacing the switch gear that comes with the CCS kit for the GW switch gear.

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the responses guys! After many searches on Google and this site I was able to finally find a picture of a '95 GL1500 switchgear on an ST1300. If it will work on your modern jet fighters it should surely work on my noble dinosaur! I havn't been able to find the writeup on it yet but with Dan's write up I should be able to figure out which wires go to what buttons. Are the wires on the Rostra cruise the same as the CCS? I know they were made by the same company but are the colors the same as well?

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I have the GL1500 Goldwing switch installed on my ST1100 now. While I still have to remove it to shorten the harness that came with it to a more manageable length, I am pretty happy with it. Since the '98 ST1100 I have was made during the same model years as the GL1500, it was a relatively painless install. Both switches utilize the same 9 connector hitachi plug. The GL has an additional 6 connector switch which contains the cruise functions. (Much like the police switch) The only wiring change in the main harness was to reverse the positions of the kill switch wires. Otherwise everything will work except the kill switch. There are 4 connectors outside the body of the switch, two are for the brake light switch while the other two are meant for an additional switch the Goldwing has and aren't used on the ST. The 6 wire connector contains 1-12v wire "in" to the cruise switch, 1-12v "out" for turning the cruise control on/off, one wire each for resume/accel and set/decel, and those two extra wires mentioned earlier. If anybody takes this on and wants to know wiring colors drop me a note and Ill post them for you.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360360892.706670.jpg

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I have the GL1500 Goldwing switch installed on my ST1100 now. While I still have to remove it to shorten the harness that came with it to a more manageable length, I am pretty happy with it. Since the '98 ST1100 I have was made during the same model years as the GL1500, it was a relatively painless install. Both switches utilize the same 9 connector hitachi plug. The GL has an additional 6 connector switch which contains the cruise functions. (Much like the police switch) The only wiring change in the main harness was to reverse the positions of the kill switch wires. Otherwise everything will work except the kill switch. There are 4 connectors outside the body of the switch, two are for the brake light switch while the other two are meant for an additional switch the Goldwing has and aren't used on the ST. The 6 wire connector contains 1-12v wire "in" to the cruise switch, 1-12v "out" for turning the cruise control on/off, one wire each for resume/accel and set/decel, and those two extra wires mentioned earlier. If anybody takes this on and wants to know wiring colors drop me a note and Ill post them for you.

Outstanding, Don! Please document this great option for the CC install... tech article here and the AOW too!

Regards, John

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks to the awesome help of John O, my STeed has cruise control now, and the GL switch works perfectly. The only drawback to the switch is that the "set" button is exactly where the stock ST's "start" button is, so when you stall your bike because you haven't ridden it all winter (damhik) and your muscle memory kicks in to re-start it... nothing happens because you are hitting the set button. I think this is just a matter of retraining my hand to drop the thumb a little lower to get the right button. I will do a write up with a wiring schematic when I get a chance. I unfortunately neglected to take pictures while I worked but I can still write it up and maybe draw some diagrams.

Bike
1997 St1100
I know this is an old thread, but desperate times...
I have the ccs100 installed on my 98 st1100, and it is working great, but want to use the gl1500 switch instead of the ccs one. I've been looking for some wiring help, but so far no success. I have the gl switch, does anyone know how it ties in to the cruise?

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Here is the only pic I have with me at the moment of the install, it sows the extra wires going to the brake light switch. The two wire that are connected and have the zip tie on them are your brake light wires. The other two are not needed and can be removed. I cut this wiring down quite a bit and eliminated the rubber boot.

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Ha! This pic was supposed to go in the other thread you asked this question in where I put a long reply to your problem.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have the GL1500 Goldwing switch installed on my ST1100 now.If anybody takes this on and wants to know wiring colors drop me a note and Ill post them for you.
Hi Slasher,
I am getting ready to do the Rostra install on my ST1300A.
I bought a GL1500 switch assy for this, because it looks like a better fit on the bar and I really don't care about lighting.
Can you post (or PM me) your wiring diagram for the Goldwing switch, please ? It would be a large help!

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I don't have a diagram per se but, here's what the colors on the gl1500 switch do...

1) WHITE-power in (12v power into switch)
2)Black/yellow stripe-on/off out (turns cruise on or off and allows power to go to other switches)
3) white/blue stripe-resume/accel
4) white/yellow stripe-set/decel

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I don't have a diagram per se but, here's what the colors on the gl1500 switch do...

1) WHITE-power in (12v power into switch)
2)Black/yellow stripe-on/off out (turns cruise on or off and allows power to go to other switches)
3) white/blue stripe-resume/accel
4) white/yellow stripe-set/decel
Thank you, sir ;)

Top Bottom