CANBUS or CAN'TBUS? ezCAN connector question...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Hex ezCAN on the way, to wire my Bushtec trailer.
I'll need to run from the ezCAN to left and right signals, brake, and tail light... FROM the ezCAN.
Mine will be here Monday from Beemerworks, so what kind of Sumitomo connectors will I need?
I'm thinking (dangerous for me, I know) I need 2-wire connectors to attach these wires from the trailer harness to the ezCAN. Meanwhile, I will look for a close-up picture of the ezCAN leads and figure it out.
But YOUR personal experience is ALWAYS preferable to me "figuring it out."
Thanks!

The answer may lie here...?
What are the connectors specifications?
https://www.hexezcan.com/faq-bmw/

Bike
2010 ST1300
Buy some extra male and female terminals and practice crimping scrap wire to them. You will also need a good crimp tool. The cheap versions tend to do a bad job making the crimp. It would not hurt to have a small pick to remove the metal terminal from the plastic housing. You can make do with dental tools or tiny screw drivers but it is easy to damage the terminal or the plastic (don't ask me why I suggest this).

Alas, I have no experience w/ canbus so I can't help you there.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have good crimpers, wires (won't need, as I have a harness) and needle-ish tools to poke stuff with.
Trying to see a LARGE view of the ezCAN leads, for little details such as:

1. are the ezCAN leads male or female connectors? Then I'll order the opposite ones.
2. are the ezCAN connectors 2-wire or 3-wire? I wouldn't think they will be 4-wire, but I'm ignerent.

Don't wanna order unnecessary pieces. And I am "fairly" confident they are all Sumitomo-style connectors.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Given the variability in the way things are manufactured, I would think it is best to look at your connectors (on the bike) before you order parts. The male is usually a flat blade or round post (latter found in bullet connectors and for heated gear), female part has the edges curled over to grip the male spade. Regardless, you should be able to figure out what is on the bike with a flashlight and magnifying glass. Here are some pics to help ID the male and female parts:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think you'll get some pigtails and they are setup to be 3 wire but they give you the option to build them.

I only have 2 wire on my setup.

You get 4 circuits.

My setup is
1 circuit is the right aux light under the mirror on high beam only.
1 circuit is the left aux light under the mirror on high beam only.
1 circuit is my lighted emblem set up as a low intensity running and left signal
1 circuit is my lighted emblem set up as a low intensity running and right signal

You could set up
1 as running
1 as brake
1 as left
1 as right

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Also, on my windows laptop, if I turn it to landscape I can't get to some setting, on portrait they show up, drove me crazi(er) for a while til I turned the laptop around. Might be a windows 11 issue w/software.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
You could set up
1 as running
1 as brake
1 as left
1 as right
Thanks, that's pretty much my plan (subject to the harsh realities, as usual).
The only connectors I need concern myself with are these from the ezCAN pigtails; the 'CAN itself only plugs into one specific connector under the seat on the 1250; that's my understanding, and I've not seen it connected to any other place. So I'll be using each of the 4 pigtails, as you mention.

So at the moment, you're saying even if the ezCAN pigtails are for 3-wire, I can just put 2 of the wires into a 3-wire connector on each pigtail and leave one wire place empty? I think this is coming together in my mind, little bit by little bit.

By the way, Steve at A Bike Thing said in an email that in a couple of weeks, he will have a video of 3 ezCAN's daisy-chained together, and one of those will be for a motorcycle trailer. I'm mildly surprised that in all his installs, he's never dealt with wiring a trailer. Now, of course, he IS in the UK, and the majority of his business is selling and installing high-end Denali light systems, conspicuity lighting, horns, and all of that jazz.

EDIT: my only experience with making connectors and such is when I bought the Amazon plastic connector kit we've all seen, in order to plug the GPS and 12v outlet into the ST's quartet harness. Same principles apply here, just using different wiring connectors.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
the 'CAN itself only plugs into one specific connector under the seat on the 1250
Correct
So at the moment, you're saying even if the ezCAN pigtails are for 3-wire, I can just put 2 of the wires into a 3-wire connector on each pigtail and leave one wire place empty?
Also correct, the directions will show you which ones and they give you little blanks to place into the unused part of the connector to keep it water tight I suppose.

I don't remember how the 3 wire setup works... I know denali lights have 3 wires to handle their data dim tech and adjusting the intensity of aux lights but you also have some of that control via the excan software. I don't have denali lights so haven't looked into that much.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
The plug in for my eZcan was under rear tail section on the RT. First hookup was to the wrong sensor (lean angle I believe). From their site:
Bike with RDC control unit
1. Start by unplugging the CAN-Bus connector from the RDC control unit if it is not yet unplugged.
2. Plug the HEX ezCAN into the CAN-Bus connector – inline.
3. The HEX ezCAN has two CAN-Bus connectors, one male and one female. Plug the male connector into the CAN-Bus connector, with the female connector going into the RDC control unit.

They are correct, it will not work hooked up to the wrong switch. The RDC and lean angle sensor have identical plugs so it is easy to make the mistake. Once hooked to the correct unit it works like a champ. Only running Skene flashing running/brake light off the ezcan at the moment. It's pretty neat, you can do the running light from 20% to 100%. Mine is on 20% and they are bright. Hit the brakes and it get's really bright assuming you are not looking at your cell phone.

I did not find room under either front or rear seat so it is all tucked up under the tailpiece where the RDC unit is.

These plugs come with the eZcan:
Insert blanking seal to use as a two-wire stub connector
Insert terminal wire to use as a three-wire stub connector

4 x Terminal wires and Blanking seals
4 x Two Wire Stub Connectors

Four plugs with blanking plugs for unused connections.

Top Bottom