Can't get RPMs to set right

STOC #
I've been having some trouble with my carbs. When the bike is at idle the RPM's will only go from 7-9000. When I try to increase them they either go thru the roof or shut down. Is there anything I can do to get the RPM's to sit at the correct range (I believe it is around 12000).

Oh yeah I have tried using sea foam in the carbs to try and clean them out.

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Adam

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Honda's recommendation is for 1100 rpm idle on a warm engine (i think you might have added a zero to your numbers!).

The idle should be set using the knob found next to the gas cap (found inside the gas fill compartment up on the right side).
I don't see how turning this little knob could make your idle jump like you report..

Where are you adjusting the idle.

Mark

OP
OP
93NJST
STOC #
You right. I added an extra 0. I'm using the idle adjust in the gas cap area. Its very tight when I turn it. When I do the RPM's seam to stay between 7-900 RPM's. Then when I turn it to a slight bit more they jump over 2k. I was wondering if the area the idle set cable went to was sticking.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Good.

Must be that something is sticking... I have an '01 and can adjust it smoothly.
I don't know that I have ever heard of anyone one lubing that cable...

Have you traced the cable and looked at its action when the knob turned?

Mark

OP
OP
93NJST
STOC #
Not yet. I spoke to my local Steeler and they said I need a carb cleaning. Now I have to ask what do they do to clan the carb? Is it easy and anything I can do? I ran Seafoam thru it.

Cheers,
Adam

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
AARRGGHH. Cleaning the carbs. Note the plural. What they will do, and what you can do, is take the carbs out, pull them apart, and soak them in carb cleaner. I'd guess about 6 to 8 hours of labor to pay for, and they will almost no doubt suggest a rebuild, at around $60 per carb for parts. Not to mention more labor...

Does your bike run ok otherwise? No popping on decel, gas mileage ok, makes good power, runs up the revs smoothly? Probably needs a little TLC more than cleaning and re building...

The idle cable adjusts a throttle stop on the left rear (#4) carb. You can take the left cover off and see it, sort of. Maybe spray a little carb cleaner on the throttle cable hub and the adjustment screw? Make sure the throttle stop is on the adjustment screw? Seems mine picks up a little dirt and schmootz on the stuff, maybe if you just clean that assembly up a little? Maybe while you are there you could check that the knob in the gas cap is turning the bottom screw smoothly...

Or, the heck with it and just go for a ride:)

OP
OP
93NJST
STOC #
It seams to run ok with the low idle. I was just worried it would stall out of do some damage. As for the cleaning, I thought it would be something like that. I just do not trust my dealer to do a proper cleaning. I would assume they would just run carb cleaner in it and send me on my way. I plan to take her apart on the 4th and see what I can do.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Adam

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
It seams to run ok with the low idle. I was just worried it would stall out of do some damage.

Cheers,
Adam
I run (and have run) my idle between 900 and 1000 for years.
I just don't like to hear the 1100rpm noise.

Mark

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!

I read this thread and thought: I ought to adjust my idle from 750, or there about, to somewhere close to...Hmmmm...wait just a dad-gum minute! I just realized that the recommended idle is the same at the ST: "1100".:roll:
AAAANNNNYYYYWWWAAAYYYY....puttered out to the garage, STart the BST up and let her get good and warm. (fan kicked in) I reached in and adjust....ahem, I reached in and....awww, you gotta be kidding me...I reached in and....UNBELIEVABLE! I can't get the knob to turn to save my sole! Fiddled with it for about 20 minutes and all but forced the thing to turn until I reached the specified rpm @ idle. At least I got it but the hard to turn the knob thing will have to wait until riding season is over before I tear into it and see what's the culprit.

Anybody else have this problem? Might be the same as you're having there 93NJST! Let me know if you figure it out before I do! (H. E. double tooth picks, who am I kidding? I'll have to look into this probably this weekend or it'll drive me nuts!:banghead: )
:roll:

OP
OP
93NJST
STOC #
I got mine to work by spraying some WD-40 on the screw and throttle assembly. Seamed to work.

My new question is: Can the choke cause the idle to be off? If I turn off the choke all the way, the rpm's are low around 750-900. If I push it to the point of when it gets loose the rpm's are around 1100.
So can the choke be the problem?

Cheers,
Adam

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
The choke lever on the bar moves a linkage on the opposite side of the carbs from the throttle control. I doubt that it can be hanging directly.

However, it could be that you will need to check the settings on the choke linkage. It could be that one or more carb is choking (slightly) all the time...A good (or even bad) carb synch could be in order.

I need to do mine, but I have a fundamental problem.
Work a day on the bike, or ride for a day?
You get the idea:)

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
You get the idea:)
You really need a WINTER!!!!!

I'll have to look into this probably this weekend or it'll drive me nuts!:banghead: )
:roll:
Short trip?????:crackup

I have the same problem with my adjustment cable being very tight. Upside on mine is, it is set and the correct RPM!

OP
OP
93NJST
STOC #
Winter? The ST is made to run all winter.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I need to pull the bike apart and check the cable and check the carbs.

Cheers,
Adam

Top Bottom