Can't loosen rear caliper stopper bolt

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
PB Blaster, Good Quality (snap-on) 6 pt. box end wrench or socket on sliding breaker bar, let soak overnight, place tool on bolt, take up slack, position body correctly, smoothy and continously (in one motion) push through without stopping. Don't shove, tap, hit, or jerk it, the trick is Smoooooth, constant pressure!

Bike
06 ST
Apply some good penetrating oil to the bolt, then apply some heat, either with a good commercial heat gun or a propane/mepps gass torch. I like a propane torch as you can direct the heat to the needed small area and adjust the flame very small. Then leave it sit over nite and in the morning apply more penetrating oil and more heat. You have to be careful heating the surrounding areas, cables, wire, hoses or rubber items. Alumumin melts at about 11-1200" degrees. 3-400' degrees works well. Air impact wrenches work well, but have to be careful of bolt/nut size application and torque values of the gun settings. This works well when Locite was used to secure the nut/bolt. When I was wrenching on big trucks and had a tuff nut, we would take an oxy/acetylene torch, heat it up red hot and it would release and come off, being ever mindful of fuel tanks and surrounding areas. I would replace the bolt/nut if it was a tuff extraction and use never-seize to help eliminate the seizure problem in the future. Happy wrenching.....Dave B

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Penetrating oil and heat last night and again this morning. Still won't budge and bolt is starting to round off.

I placed a call to the dealer to see if they have another stopper bolt, then I'll go to a friend's garage, where he'll try with an impact wrench, then mount the tire for me.

Can I brush off whatever loctite comes on the new bolt, then just put some blue loctite on it?

zooker13

Ken Zook
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
If you end up with the bolt head rounded off you should be able to remove the axle, disc, caliper and bracket. Then you will have access to the other side to use a pipe wrench or similar tool. On my own ST, I use grease on the threads and pin and have never lost one or had a problem with removal. 280k plus on the original.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
It's off. I broke a 6pt SK socket, a closed end 14mm ratchet wrench and a box wrench. And that was after much penetrating fluid and torching it.

I finally rode to the tire place, where they used an air impact wrench. That didn't work either and rounded the bolt off a little more. Finally, with a manual impact wrench and a sledge hammer, it came off.

I want to thank Russellville, Arkansas Honda for over tightening the stopper bolt. The axle bolt was also much less than 80 lbs/ft. Maybe they reversed the torque values between the two, or more likely, just tightend up everything using the goodentight method. Considering that the rear fender and exhaust bolts were also overtight, I think that's what they did.

In any case, the new tire is on. Thanks again for the suggestions.

PS - My local dealer does not have any caliper stopper bolts in stock. Considering that they are supposed to replace it, how do they change tires?

Bike
ST1300 '06
STOC #
Two things I didn't see mentioned here (but I may have skimmed over):

First, when an impact wrench is doing its job, grab the socket and twist it with your hand in the direction you want it to turn. This prevents the socket from releasing energy when the hammer loads and unloads.

Second, have a competent welder weld a nut onto the bolt. Large amounts of heat will concentrate in the bolt causing it to expand, let it cool down and it should come out easily. When using this method you can overheat the aluminium if you too enthusiastic with the stick. Some people use wire feed rather than stick as the heat is more localized and easier to control.

:06biker::CanFlag1:

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Haggar - There was a second guy with a two foot wrench pushing firmly in the proper direction while it was being hammered. It still took about ten blows with the sledge hammer before it released.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It's off. I broke a 6pt SK socket, a closed end 14mm ratchet wrench and a box wrench. And that was after much penetrating fluid and torching it.

I finally rode to the tire place, where they used an air impact wrench. That didn't work either and rounded the bolt off a little more. Finally, with a manual impact wrench and a sledge hammer, it came off.

I want to thank Russellville, Arkansas Honda for over tightening the stopper bolt. The axle bolt was also much less than 80 lbs/ft. Maybe they reversed the torque values between the two, or more likely, just tightend up everything using the goodentight method. Considering that the rear fender and exhaust bolts were also overtight, I think that's what they did.

In any case, the new tire is on. Thanks again for the suggestions.

PS - My local dealer does not have any caliper stopper bolts in stock. Considering that they are supposed to replace it, how do they change tires?
Glad to hear you got it removed safely without damaging anything. Question....Was the SK socket you used one of the Import ones, or the old style USA made ones?
And...you should never admit to using a ratchet wrench to loosen anything, thats what breaker bars are for. Alot of folks use ratchets and ratcheting wrenches to both loosen and remove bolts and fasteners incorrectly, to use these tools properly, you should use a breaker bar or wrench to loosen said fastener, then use the faster tool.
Hope you put some antiseaze or grease on the bolt when installing it this time.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I've had them for 30 years and if my garage were clean enough to actually FIND my breaker bar, I would've used it, but I don't think it would've made a difference here, except to save a couple of tools. I'm way past due for a garage cleaning, but with me, my wife and kids completely disregarding my space, it got to be a serious mess, quickly. I can still fit both bikes and both cars in there, though.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I've had them for 30 years and if my garage were clean enough to actually FIND my breaker bar, I would've used it, but I don't think it would've made a difference here, except to save a couple of tools. I'm way past due for a garage cleaning, but with me, my wife and kids completely disregarding my space, it got to be a serious mess, quickly. I can still fit both bikes and both cars in there, though.
I'd bet that he wouldn't have any problem finding his golf clubs in there though... :D

Top Bottom