Canyon Dancer Strap Rings

Bike
2010 ST1300
I bought a pair of these and they arrived today. I must admit I was a bit shocked when I opened the package. I'm not disparaging the product, they will work fine for my intended application. Here are a couple of pictures of what I ordered. I'm showing you the Dennis Kirk page (via screen shot) and the middle of the three pictures to the left of the product.
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 7.00.44 PM.png
Here is that middle pic on the left:
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 6.59.26 PM.png

Ok, so how big are these buggers? I thought they would be fairly large, maybe even two inches across the larger ring. Here is a picture of the pair next to a familar object. Remember they are tested to 2000 lbs.
IMG_2872.jpg

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Its not too tough to calculate the strength if you know the material strength and the formula to figure it out. Notice the material around the big hole is about the same as the little hole. Being for motorcycle industry, I would guess the smaller hole is clearance size for an 8mm maybe 6mm bolt. As long as the shackle bolt was as big or bigger than the bolt, I can see it holding 2000#. (As long as the bolts aren't some cheap junk bolts.) Check out the ratings on some of the cheap tie down ratchet straps from Walmart, Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. That being said, at less than $10, I would be using several for tie down points. ;)

Bike
2005 st1300
Well crap. I didnt know these existed. I just tied my bike down for a 1000 mile trip this week and I cut my hands all to crap trying to get sling straps around the forks. These would have worked great. Oh well, i'll know next ime

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Well crap. I didnt know these existed. I just tied my bike down for a 1000 mile trip this week and I cut my hands all to crap trying to get sling straps around the forks. These would have worked great. Oh well, i'll know next ime
Sorry to hear that. I'd not known about these either, until someone in another thread mentioned Canyon Dancers straps - tie downs for bikes. The name was interesting enough that I checked their website and looked at all of their products. Somehow I thought these rings were sized more like the big rings on climbing or fall protection harnesses.

Bike
2005 st1300
Sorry to hear that. I'd not known about these either, until someone in another thread mentioned Canyon Dancers straps - tie downs for bikes. The name was interesting enough that I checked their website and looked at all of their products. Somehow I thought these rings were sized more like the big rings on climbing or fall protection harnesses.
Lucked out Peter. Found them on Amazon and they will be here tomorrow. I dont leave for the coast til Thursday. Thanks

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A cool concept but clearly those are not the same product as in the screenshot. It would be nice to know the difference between the two. I.e. its the version you received stronger than what was pictured or is it just cheaper to produce? I've ordered a few things for Denis Kirk and have never been disappointed. But this would have me scratching my head a little.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I am no engineer, but I don't think I would trust hanging two (2) ST's from these rings, much less one. They seem a bit flimsy. That being said, they'd probably be OK for a tie-down.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I bought a pair of these and they arrived today. I must admit I was a bit shocked when I opened the package. I'm not disparaging the product, they will work fine for my intended application. Here are a couple of pictures of what I ordered. I'm showing you the Dennis Kirk page (via screen shot) and the middle of the three pictures to the left of the product.

Here is that middle pic on the left:

Ok, so how big are these buggers? I thought they would be fairly large, maybe even two inches across the larger ring. Here is a picture of the pair next to a familar object. Remember they are tested to 2000 lbs.
They certainly seem like a good idea, but wouldn't something like this be simpler and more universal?
1646179732607.png

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
They certainly seem like a good idea, but wouldn't something like this be simpler and more universal?
Sure, but both have their place. Read post #3. I bought these to serve two purposes. I'll be putting them on my '77 Guzzi aft under the rear carrier that I'm in the process of building. (Yes, from scratch and welding it up - I enjoy doing this stuff.) They will serve as places to hook bungee cords as well as tie down points. Once I get them on the bike, and I see how they function with my tie down straps, I'll probably pop for several more and sprinkle them around (i.e. fore and aft) on my VStrom as well. I have made a number of different sized webbing loops like you have pictured, and have used them in the past but the rings will be permanently attached to the bike and I don't need to worry about carrying another item.

Lucked out Peter. Found them on Amazon and they will be here tomorrow. I dont leave for the coast til Thursday. Thanks
Have a wonderful trip!

Bike
2005 st1300
1646179732607.png
I had some 1 inch wide ones that didnt seem strong enough. I then went with some 1 1/2 inch wide ones and with the webbing and the stiching, they were not flexible at all. They were an absolute bear to feed them up above the triple clamp, around the tube and back down, with the inner fairings in the way. I am afraid that the straps did not feed down and I might not have got them tight all the way around the tube. I feel that after a while, the straps will loosen as they tighten and seat around the triple clamps and tubes. I cursed plenty and cut my hands to hell doing it. It is very tight in there. It will be a job just putting the Canyon Dancer clamps in there. I think they will be plenty strong. Between the 2 straps on the forks, pulling down and compressing the forks and 2 straps on the engine crash bars, pulling down and out a bit there is not a lot of force on the straps. The bike is rock solid right now. The worse it may do is bend the tabs until the rubber coated strap hooks touch the fork tubes... we'll see

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Do you have a front wheel chock?I’m wondering why you need to strap the forks when you are already compressing front suspension T crash bars.Bike in gear & strap through rear wheel “spokes”.I’ve trailered to N.Carolina & back without any problem.
1” soft straps. Having straps in a lower location is more stable. Fwiw imho.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Im confused. You can order nylon loop straps all over the place
Nothing to be confused about. Both have their place, I simply like the flexibility of having those tie down points usable for bungee cords and being a permanent, unobtrusive part of the bike. And, as I said, they will always be on the bike. My loops sit home with other rigging gear and are pulled out when needed.
@SMSW stated that they were rated to 2k lbs. That's more than the weight of 2 STs.
That came from the Canyon Dancer website.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Nothing to be confused about. Both have their place, I simply like the flexibility of having those tie down points usable for bungee cords and being a permanent, unobtrusive part of the bike. And, as I said, they will always be on the bike. My loops sit home with other rigging gear and are pulled out when needed.

That came from the Canyon Dancer website.
I am in this constance experience of learning how to tour. Everything changes for the next loop.

My 2 cents, I love those loops. Have a set on one of my sports bikes and dirt bike. Great for bungee tie downs. I'm kind of anal about metal to metal contact when tying my ST down, so love soft ties.

Bike
2005 st1300
Do you have a front wheel chock?I’m wondering why you need to strap the forks when you are already compressing front suspension T crash bars.Bike in gear & strap through rear wheel “spokes”.I’ve trailered to N.Carolina & back without any problem.
1” soft straps. Having straps in a lower location is more stable. Fwiw imho.
Yes, the wheel was in a chock. With the 4 straps, the bike never moved. Rock solid end to end. I just didn't want to only use 2 straps and I didn't want to tie the back wheel... Needed the room for boxes. I thought those 1 inch soft straps felt pretty weak.

Top Bottom