Car tires

Bike
St1300PA
I see some folks put car tires on the rear of there st1300, and I’m curious how does the bike handle and feel ?

Bike
ST1300 - Black
Handles about 90 - 95% the same as with motorcycle tire.
- Seems in the pavement, have a different feel. (Seems in the direction of travel)
- U-turn from a stop, you'll need alittle more room.
- if when stopping the last second to lean the bike to the left or right - found the bike wants tobe vertical now.

Just can 't ride it like your on the track.
Bike is more Touring now and less Sport.

Don't get me wrong the bike is as fast as it was before, but you need to aware the bike handles differently.

If you do it. Don't overthink it.
Just get on and go for a ride.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Run it at 26 psi and you will forget that it is a car tire. Smoother ride, better traction, better stopping, better flotation on soft stuff.
I get about 40,000 miles per tire and next month I will be installing CT # 5, which would have been MCT # 35. You do the math $....
BFGoodrich G-force comp-2 A/S plus 205/50ZR17.

Last edited:
Bike
1999 Honda ST100
Run it at 26 psi and you will forget that it is a car tire. Smoother ride, better traction, better stopping, better flotation on soft stuff.
I get about 40,000 miles per tire and next month I will be installing CT # 5, which would have been MCT # 35. You do the math $....
Does that also fit on the 1100?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I still plan to do this due to future trailer-towing...
But! I do NOT want to grind my swingarm!!
I understand, on rare occasions, a CT may actually fit with no interference.
And I am fully prepared to take the heat from you maniacs who have, and will, take a grinder to the aluminum on your 1300.
Not me.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I still plan to do this due to future trailer-towing...
But! I do NOT want to grind my swingarm!!
I understand, on rare occasions, a CT may actually fit with no interference.
And I am fully prepared to take the heat from you maniacs who have, and will, take a grinder to the aluminum on your 1300.
Not me.
I believe the tire Spidey noted doesn't require grinding.

This is the tire I was trying to get all Summer as I knew my rear wasn't going to last through October this year, but it was backordered from BF Goodrich so as I HAD to replace the tire I put Michelin bike tires on it. I still plan on doing the BFG G Force comp2 A/S+ next time around.

The Hankook Ventus v12 EVO2 K120 & General GMax AS-03 do require grinding as per other forum members comments.

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
Does your insurance cover you when you have a car tire fitted? If you change anything over here they have to be notified when taking out the policy otherwise they would likely not pay out in the event of a claim. I'd imagine they'd go nuts if they seen a car tire fitted.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Only know of 1 guy that had a car tire on an 1100.

The author and machinist of the article, Mark, is only with us in our memories.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Does your insurance cover you when you have a car tire fitted? If you change anything over here they have to be notified when taking out the policy otherwise they would likely not pay out in the event of a claim. I'd imagine they'd go nuts if they seen a car tire fitted.
I don't recall my insurance (Progressive) saying anything about modifications beyond if you add accessories, keep the receipts and they will be covered. But that's the USA. We have some pretty outrageous choppers on the road and I have to assume they are covered.

It's probably better to not get in an accident to test out your insurance. How about having a friend who will never put a car tire on his bike make an inquiry to his insurance company?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
No rubbing, no grinding necessary. Do not know about the 1100. One tire picked up three small nails, but they did not penetrate the steel belts.
on a different tire, a biker yelled at me that my rear tire looked low. I smiled and waved. 40 miles later when I got home I checked. It only had one psi !!
Replaced the valve and all was good. This tire has strong sidewalls!

Bike
VStrom 650
Definitely not for me, invalidates insurance here in the UK and is not designed for the job. If you can't afford the correct tyres for your bike you should give up riding, period.
I won't get into the debate of should you or shouldn't you, but in the UK I doubt any insurers would take you on and not least because it's illegal under Con and Use Regs.
I haven't got a clue whether it would be legal in Ireland, but with your roads, why would ya.
Upt'North.

Reactions: Obo

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I’m passing through Birmingham next week. Want me to bring my grinder? I’ll grind it for you. :biggrin:

John
Hey, I have a new grinder, too... only used a couple of times. But not on the bike.
I'll let you use my grinder, and watch you slim down one of YOUR bikes. LOL.
Either way, if you ring me up when you roll through, I have excellent coffee, and I have learned how to share!

Thanks for the details.

Top Bottom