Carb Diaphragm repair

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I ....um stole.... or borrowed this from the Suzuki Madura site and thought the info might be of some use. This repair was done by a gentleman from Texas who goes by the name of "Wheels" on the Madura site. This repair has lasted him a number of years and he's put some 300K miles on his 700cc Madura ( I own a 1200cc model)
I did a search on the ST site and a few other suggestions were made to repair the diaphragms but thought this too might be of use.
He "made the repairs by buying a box of latex surgical gloves, a tube of clear silicone adhesive, an artists paint brush (with bristles 1/4" wide).

Remove the affected slide, and thoroughly clean the diaphragm with mild dish soap, warm water, a cotton ball or Q-tip, to remove any dirt, residue, etc, for good adhesion when applying the fix. Air dry with low air pressure or hair dryer.
Using one of the latex surgical gloves, (Note: these will have been coated with powder to make them easier to put on your hands. So you will need to wash them as you did the diaphragm to remove the powder) cut a small round patch out of the glove. I made mine 1/2" diameter.
Using the clear silicone and the artists brush, paint a thin even coat of silicone over and around the tear. place the patch you've made over the tear, centering the patch over it. Wait approximately 30 minutes, then again using the brush, place a thin even layer of silicone over the patch, overlapping the edge of the patch a 1/16" or so. Allow the patched slides to dry overnight for complete adhesion, then reassemble and check carb adjustment."
cheers
Robert

Last edited:

Byron

STOC #
There may be something missing from the fix you described. You mention putting "silicone" under and over the layer of latex. Did you mean to say us silicone based adhesive?

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have found silicone to act as an adhesive, so yes I suppose one would have to ensure that has an adhesive quality to it

Top Bottom