Carb off... carb on question

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
When re-installing the carbs is it better to have the insulators on the carbs or the motor? Or maybe one side motor one side carb???
You pretty much have to have them on the motor because you won't be able to tighten the bottom clamps one the carbs are on. You can tighten the top clamps with a long screw driver once it is together. I lubed the boots and the carb with a thin layer of silicone plumbers grease. Then I set the carbs on the mounted boots and have a stern push. One side popped on the the other.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
You pretty much have to have them on the motor because you won't be able to tighten the bottom clamps one the carbs are on. You can tighten the top clamps with a long screw driver once it is together. I lubed the boots and the carb with a thin layer of silicone plumbers grease. Then I set the carbs on the mounted boots and have a stern push. One side popped on the the other.
I concur with the above. I use the clear dielectric greae, tho. I push on one side , then the other. They go back on fairly easy if the insulators are new ( or still pliable).

Bike
91 ST1100
Moved the insulators to the motor and assembly went fairly easy. I found standing on the pegs and pushing down sharply go them started then I used my foot and even pressure to complete the job. I wound up changing all the screws to socket cap heads and used a long flatblade screwdiver to tighten them up. All in all not a too tough job.

Top Bottom