Carb. pilot jet mixture screw adjustment

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
My 1100 ran well, but I have always made my bikes run better after adjusting the carb. pilot jet mixture screws. As many of you know, the ST1100 isn't easy to adjust - access is terrible - and much has been written already about what's needed to do the job. So, I've been reading about it and storing up courage to do this job for about 20 years and decided to give it a go! I have the UK/European spec. carbs with the 'X' slots in the screw, not the 'D' type, so the tool I made will only work with with the slotted screw.

This is the business end - a brass tube with a pin soldered across - which I made sure would fit the screw on cylinder #3. It's as well to check that the tool will also fit elsewhere, the next easiest to reach is #4, the cylinder nearest the throttle cables - though you'll need a torch and can only look with one eye. :( .......It'll give you an idea of what to expect....

1585486706276.png

The brass tube was then soldered to a coiled spring - here in the UK, we use it to hang net curtains and it's covered with a plastic sheath that I cut off! And finally, the spring was superglued into a carbon fibre tube that I just happened to have. Overall, the tool was about 12" or 300mm long. The brass tube should have been a little shorter - it would have been easier to manoeuvre - maybe half as long?

1585486917491.png

Before I started I already knew what my settings were, so if I made a complete b*lls up, I could always go back.....
Access to #3 is easiest, then #4 and #2. .........#1 was a complete so-and-so because the rubber engine cover kept getting in the way.
It was a cold day, so I didn't have trouble with the fan coming on and off.
With my vacuum gauges connected and the engine running and warm, I did each carb. in turn.
The mixture screw was fully closed (gently) and opened slowly until the engine went from spitting and rough to smooth and strong. The transition between too lean and ok was subtle, but could be heard.
The vacuum also rose a tiny bit as the best setting was reached. I did not record the new pilot screw settings but they all finished up between 1 and 1.75 turns open.
After a re-balance, the vacuum gauges rose and fell in unison with a blip on the throttle and were in balance when held at higher revs. It sounded very healthy. I started the bike up the following day in the perishing cold and it fired up as sweet as you like. The engine is smoother than it was and a successful road test is anticipated once we are free of this virus thing (in 2020).

A note about Colourtune - I thought it might be useful, but it was just too awkward to mess with on my own. I've used it with great success elsewhere.

Bike
ST1100AY
This is very ingenious. I have the same cross slot pilot screws and have been wondering how I was going to adjust them after I rebuild my carbs.

The net curtain spring looks like a very good way to achieve the necessary bend in the driver

OP
OP
Roger
Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Steve,
My pilot screws settings from '99 (seen below), were all re-set in '17 to1.5 turns open, then re-adjusted again in '20. (Not recorded!)
carb#1 was 1.25
carb#2 was 1.25
carb#3 was 1.75
carb#4 was 1.5
(o)-(o) ...twin cable throttle pulley

Bike
ST1100AY
Steve,
My pilot screws settings from '99 (seen below), were all re-set in '17 to1.5 turns open, then re-adjusted again in '20. (Not recorded!)
carb#1 was 1.25
carb#2 was 1.25
carb#3 was 1.75
carb#4 was 1.5
(o)-(o) ...twin cable throttle pulley
was this with the original pilot screws or did you replace them ?

Have you had the carbs out, if so could you tell me what your jet and needle sizes are , I think you may have the same carb setup as me.

I'm doing a complete carb block overhaul and am contemplating changes to jetting

OP
OP
Roger
Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
...I noted the original screw settings before I started 'fiddling'. I had the carbs. out to replace the intake stubs and to clean out the secondary filter debris, etc. I always had the thought that I'd be adjusting the pilot screws in the future - as spelled out in post #1. I didn't check any jet sizes as I didn't see the need to make any radical changes to the carb. build.

Bike
ST1100AY
The brass tube was then soldered to a coiled spring - here in the UK, we use it to hang net curtains and it's covered with a plastic sheath that I cut off! And finally, the spring was superglued into a carbon fibre tube that I just happened to have. Overall, the tool was about 12" or 300mm long. The brass tube should have been a little shorter - it would have been easier to manoeuvre - maybe half as long?
Hi Roger

Could you possibly post a photo of the entire tool ? Also, if possible showing how it will be used when bent, Thx

OP
OP
Roger
Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Heck Steve! My carbon tube is the only bit you can't see in its entirety in previous pictures, but you could use anything to hold and twist - such as a wooden dowel, alloy tube, anything fairly slim that the curtain spring can join to! It's about 12" or 300mm long in total. This article http://www.steinborn.org/st1100.html is of interest, though not so interesting that I wanted to copy his modifications! Testing his alterations is a lot of time spent on - lets face it - very limited results! But play away if you desire. The notes were written in about 1997, as if it makes any difference..... Helpfully, there are two carb diagrams about 2/3rds the way though - a 49 State and an Emissions bike. The 49 State layout is like ours. The carbs. are arranged as if the front of the bike is to the left and the diagram shows the direction that the tool has to be inserted through gaps in the frame. My no #1, front right, was the awkward one for me, because the mat was in the way. Like I said, you'll need a torch - and I found it impossible to see what I needed to see in bright sunshine. Maybe you should mark the screws with a spot of white, while you have the chance.

Maybe I'll stop over and help you do the job, next time I head to Asia on Emirates....... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100AY
Heck Steve! My carbon tube is the only bit you can't see in its entirety in previous pictures, but you could use anything to hold and twist - such as a wooden dowel, alloy tube, anything fairly slim that the curtain spring can join to! It's about 12" or 300mm long in total. This article http://www.steinborn.org/st1100.html is of interest, though not so interesting that I wanted to copy his modifications! Testing his alterations is a lot of time spent on - lets face it - limited results! But play away if you desire. Helpfully, There are two carb diagrams about 2/3rds the way though - a 49 State and an Emissions bike. The 49 State layout is like ours. The carbs. are arranged as if the front of the bike is to the left and the diagram shows the direction that the tool has to be inserted through gaps in the frame. My no #1, front right, was the awkward one for me, because the mat was in the way. Like I said, you'll need a torch - and I found it impossible to see what I needed to see in bright sunshine. Maybe you should mark the screws with a spot of white, while you have the chance.

Maybe I'll stop over and help you do the job, next time I head to Asia on Emirates....... :rolleyes:
The diagrams are very useful, thankyou I will defintely mark the screws, probably luminescent paint

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 14.46.29.png

OP
OP
Roger
Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Finally - a ride report! With all the 2020 restrictions, all I could do was go for essential supplies - two panniers and a top box worth - and took the long way home!
It runs great, it runs smooth and it runs fast on just a whiff of throttle. What with other recent changes - new steering head bearings and recent tyres - it feels like a new bike.
:run1:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
This is the business end - a brass tube with a pin soldered across -
I'm in the process of a similar creation...
The crimp-sleeve of an RG58 connector fits nicely, bores with a 1mm steel wire across will attach to the cross-head EC-spec adjusters...
And if the idea of using a flexible blinder rod doesn't work out, I'll just cannibalize an old tach- or speedo cable, which are really nice and soft to bend...
The task is to keep the "head" as short as possible in order to ease access to #3 & #4...
TBC...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'm in the process of a similar creation...
Change of plans; sourced an original 07KMA-MS60101 # WRENCH,PILOT SCRE for under € 100,- (yes, it's the US "D-style") which I'll modify with bores and a 1mm steel wire attached to fit the EC-spec cross-head adjusters...
Uhm... I'm gonna be soooo happy once I can finally adjust this with ease... :cool:

Top Bottom