Carb sync with Motion Pro tool

I picked up a Motion pro tool to try to do a carb sync on my ST1100

Are there any adaptors i need to get before starting this project .

I have read some posts that mention getting a "tee" so you can keep the fuel valve operating .

I believe the size mentioned was 5 mm ??????

Do i need any other connectors ?

Do the hoses on the tester slide onto fittings on the bike , or connect to other hoses, meaning if would need some type of straight coupling connector .

I'm also trying to find a link to one resource that might have directions (with pictures !!! ) on how to do this procedure .

The ST1100 is new to me , only have it a month or so . (been riding 30 years)

I looked in the owners manual , it refers you to the service manual .
I bought a service manual (Honda) as i do for all my bikes , and it give a little info , then refers you the the Honda "Common Service Manual " ?????

Wasn't planning on buying that one unless i have to .

thanks in advance for any and all help

Joe

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi Joe,

The new MotionPro with the individual reservoirs and blue fluid? Follow the instructions carefully to calibrate it correctly and not suck the fluid out unintentionally. Mercury or blue fluid versions, carefully insert the restrictors into the ends of the sync tools' hoses, make sure their small orifice isn't blocked.

Yes, you'll need some plain tubing to act as connectors to the ST1100s' intake port vacuum lines. Whatever fits easily but still seals. I use brass tubing stock from the hardware store. And yes, if you still have the Auto Fuel Valve installed and connected to the #3 cylinder vacuum line, rather than the Service Manual instructions do this: insert a T in the line with a capped short length of hose. Then when doing a sync, pull the cap and plug in your MotionPro tube. This will keep the fuel flowing and doesn't affect the sync tool reading. I can dig up a picture if interested.

John

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
PS The Motion Pro site has an excellent video on the use of their new sync tool. The hardest part of learning to sync carbs on the ST1100 is finding the adjustment screws. Practice on a cold, non-running engine beforehand helps a lot. A flashlight with LED on the end of a flex tube is priceless.

I've found the Honda Common Service Manual to be an excellent source of info, especially for new DIYers, and in understanding how and why systems work. Well worth the $45 I spent on mine way back in '95.

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
PPS the ST1100 'base' carb is #4, the left rear one (as sitting on the bike). The other 3 are adjusted to it individually/separately, in any order (the Haynes manual has a serious error on this procedure and must be disregarded!). #4 is adjusted, as necessary to keep idle speed up during the sync, with its cable next to the fuel filler cap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John

Thanks for the info .
I should have mentioned that it is the "new" motion pro. I did find their video on line , (before i bought the tool) it was very helpful, one of the reasons i decided to buy that one.
Your comments on some other posts i have researched also helped me decide to buy this type, and it was probably one of your posts that suggested the 'tee" for the auto fuel valve .

I have been doing some searches on how to do the sync.
I have read , and re-read a lot of posts (many of yours , thank you ) on this site .
It just seems like i pick up some info "here and there" and am trying to piece it all together .

I thought for sure there would have been a you tube video of the sync, seems like there is a video of every thing else on there LOL

Do you happen to know what size the tubing on the bike is ?

So i can pick up the proper connectors .

thanks

Joe

Bike
92 ST1100
Many complain that the blue fluid of the MotionPro doesn't flow smoothly and doesn't drop back down correctly with some fluid "hanging' up. I have the older MotionPro mercury 'stixs'. The glass tubes of them are fragile and I have several places in the upper portion of tubes not 'used that have clear tubing across the where they have broken.
The MorganCarbTune is the best there is out there IMO. I personnally know several who useit, and nothing BUT good is said about it. It is dead-on accurrate when compared to mecury stixs, which ARE the most accurate still. The MorganCarbTune is ordered from the UK, and right now the exchange keeps it under a hundred bucks with shipping. The carry padded cloth bag which normally is extra cost comes WITH it right now. I intend to order one in the next week while cost is adnormally low. You all can check out their website if interested. Covieneance is it can be stowed and carried anywhere to go give a buddy help syncing carbs without worry of any fluid spillage.
Know several here like the convenience of the flow meter set-up, which requires airbox top to be left off, and metering the individual snorkels. Problem is, that is NOT a correct sync once the air cover top is installed. Honda, along with ALL multi- carb bikes that have a common air-box for the muti-carb set-up require ALL intake pieces be in place as it is normally ridden for a CORRECT sync procedure, which also requires any minute idle-mix adjustment, THEN carbs synced. Going thru this process a couple times is also required for all to be tottally correct!
I cannot complain about the little extra time it takes to do this correctly, as 'proof is in the pudding' so to speak with my 1100 getting a constant 50-52mpg @ 80mph on any 300mi. run on the slab. Smooth as silk accelerating from a way low rpm in any gear, and it has stayed that way now for several years. Do a carb-sync CORRECTLY the first time, and it won't have to be touched for several years, specially since Honda put that tan colored thread stuff on the screws to keep them from easily turning.
Just a FYI if your having smooth running issues and lesser than what SHOULD be normal mileage issues;).
Sorry for thread being one long thing without properly spacing thoughts, but it didn't space things correctly when posted(difinitely not a puter guru).:confused:

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Sorry, Joe. I don't know the tube size. Take one of your Motion Pro hoses with you to the hardware store. I recommend straight tube stock (cut into ~1 1/2" lengths), not barbed plastic vacuum connectors from an auto parts store.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John . or anyone else !!

Looking at my service manual , it says to disconnect the vacuum lines coming from the no. 2 and no 4 carb from what they call a 3 way joint , in order to connect the sync tool to those vacuum hoses.

My question is , do you need to put a cap , or somehow plug the ends of the three way joint where the vacuum lines were removed ?

thanks

Joe

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
No. The #2 and #4 cylinders provide vacuum to the Air Suction Valves under the carbs (only during abrupt throttle roll-off at speed, to close the valves and stop filtered air being drawn into the exhaust manifold, preventing afterburn). It does not have to be capped, this has no effect on a carb sync.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom