Carburetor Interchange

Carburetor Interchange 49 state vs California

Greetings. I have a 96 st1100T and am looking at picking up a set carbs for future spare parts. I have a line on a set off a low mileage 02 model(looks to be a California spec) and am wondering if they are compatible with my 96? Thanks

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Should be the same. I do know of some changes in the early years 1991-1992 I think in an effort to deal with carb icing. But once resolved there were no changes that I know of.

There is a CA Emissions variant but I don't know that this includes any carb changes. I think it was some other emissions things.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
The only changes in the 1100's of any concern, other than the 91's having "extra" parts like oil coolers etc... happened between 95 and 96. Even that was mainly changes to the electrical system when it got its overhaul and some other bug fixes were addressed. So your '96 should have no problem with 2000 model carbs. If you want to verify, look at any parts retailers microfiche and see if a '96 carb part number is different than a 2000. I don't think you'll have any problems though.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Should be the same. I do know of some changes in the early years 1991-1992 I think in an effort to deal with carb icing. But once resolved there were no changes that I know of.

There is a CA Emissions variant but I don't know that this includes any carb changes. I think it was some other emissions things.
I think the CA emission carb has additional breather hoses on it. I saw a pic of one when i was working on my carbs and the hoses were really confusing me until I realized I didn't even have those hoses!

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I think the CA emission carb has additional breather hoses on it. I saw a pic of one when i was working on my carbs and the hoses were really confusing me until I realized I didn't even have those hoses!
Could be. I don't think I have ever looked at a CA edition bike.

OP
OP
Were purge control valves only fitted on California models? This 02 set has one attached to the carb assembly as well as the additional fittings and hoses connected to it that are not on mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The best I can tell is the used set I am looking at are for ABS and California models. For sure the bodies are different in that the california carbs have extra fittings for EPA requirements(which could be capped off) and also some jetting changes. It looks like the other internals are the same.

OP
OP
That's what I found as well that the California carbs have smaller mains, pilots and needles. The rest look the same of the internals look the same and the bodies look to only be different in that they have the additional recovery ports.

OP
OP
as far as jetting goes it looks like standard 96 models used #128 jets from 97 on all models downsized the mains to #125

Top Bottom