Carburetor

Bike
2002 ST1100
I was just looking to see what others had done with carburetors, looking for additional HP. I found a great 2002, but the roll-on speed lacks punch.

I think you may be missing the real virtue of the ST range, the locomotive stability and steadiness. If you are looking for stomach-churning mid-range power, this may be the wrong bike. The 1100 has small diameter carbs and long intake funnels, which make for good torque but poor high rev power. Ditto the heavy flywheel makes for a steady runner but detracts from the roll-on zap.

I was initially underwhelmed by my ST but after a few long and comfy runs, it really grew on me.

You may benefit from a change in pilot jets as I believe the US models are set up lean compared to the rest of us.

It's not the Kawi crotch rocket your avatar mentions, so don't expect that, but for long distance, comfortable, sporty touring, it can't be beat. The locomotive, rock steady description is bang on.

I was just looking to see what others had done with carburetors, looking for additional HP. I found a great 2002, but the roll-on speed lacks punch.

Down shifting will help a bit, if you need some extra speed when passing.

If you want more "punch", then get a ST1300. I put an electronic cruise control on my ST1100 because the ST1100 is so smooth, I was spending too much time watching the speedo. My speed would creep up towards 90 mph on the slab.

Down shifting will help a bit, if you need some extra speed when passing.

If you want more "punch", then get a ST1300. I put an electronic cruise control on my ST1100 because the ST1100 is so smooth, I was spending too much time watching the speedo. My speed would creep up towards 90 mph on the slab.

The thing that has kept me away from looking at a 1300 is the reports of engine heat issues. This is why I was looking at the 1100.

It could be the bike is as good as it will get .But it may also be a little down if servicing has been neglected. Decent fuel also helps a little.
But like they've all said it's for 100 mph all day not 100 mph in 4 seconds.
Personally two up and loaded to the gunnels I think it's fine. The bike equates fully loaded to about 200 bhp per tonne, i.e. the bike won't be far off 500 kg and it puts out about 100 bhp.
If you want a steady tourer that can also scratch a little look no further. If you want the front wheel in the air look elsewhere.
I'm a poet and I didn't know it.
Upt'North.

The thing that has kept me away from looking at a 1300 is the reports of engine heat issues. This is why I was looking at the 1100.

I have both an 1100 and a 1300. Both can become rather uncomfortable in traffic on hot afternoons. I mostly notice it where I have to sit through multiple light changes. Otherwise, the engine heat isn't that distracting. On cooler days, it isn't an issue at all. That aside, the 1100 seems a bit cooler than the 1300 in the same conditions.

When I ride in traffic, I always keep the bike in the power band...3500 rpm or a little better. Yes, it's a bit less fuel efficient but when I need to get out of bubba's or bubbette's way, there's no time lost down shifting. It's an old riding habit I developed decades ago on less capable bikes once I decided I didn't want to become the speed bump. I use acceleration and steering as often as brakes to stay off the evening news. The ST does it all well.

On the highway and trips, the 1100 is a dream, smooth, comfortable, very low wind noise. I don't feel beaten up at stops. Good bikes.

I think a lot of the heat issues come from one of the virtues of the ST's - stellar weather protection. If it rains, the bike protects the rider from all but the heaviest downpours, and unfortunately, it also blocks most of the wind on hot, dry days. That said, the bike is so smooth and gives me the feeling that it will run forever.

I think a lot of the heat issues come from one of the virtues of the ST's - stellar weather protection. If it rains, the bike protects the rider from all but the heaviest downpours, and unfortunately, it also blocks most of the wind on hot, dry days. That said, the bike is so smooth and gives me the feeling that it will run forever.

I have never had an engine heat issue with the 1100 (unless you leave the glovebox panels out) but the screen is too effective in hot weather, and even vented jackets need some airflow to work. My solution was to use a sporty screen for summer but I can really see the appeal of an adjustable screen like the 1300 has.
IMG_3985.jpg

It could be the bike is as good as it will get .But it may also be a little down if servicing has been neglected. Decent fuel also helps a little.
But like they've all said it's for 100 mph all day not 100 mph in 4 seconds.
Personally two up and loaded to the gunnels I think it's fine. The bike equates fully loaded to about 200 bhp per tonne, i.e. the bike won't be far off 500 kg and it puts out about 100 bhp.
If you want a steady tourer that can also scratch a little look no further. If you want the front wheel in the air look elsewhere.
I'm a poet and I didn't know it.
Upt'North.

HA! Great closing line! I gut laughed at that one.

And just out of curiosity, what do you think I'd realistically gain if I re-jetted the carbs? Also, would there be any gain in slip-ons, or in full exhaust. I am not saying I'd go that far, but I am just curious. I had a 1st gen FZ1, and when I did a full exhaust upgrade, the heat issue completely went away.

Trust me .... I get what you guys are saying about these bikes. The one I am looking at has 75k, and it's still beautiful and very tight. I was VERY IMPRESSED. VERY. The ONLY draw back is the roll-on passing power. So that's why I started this thread ... what would I gain in re-jetting the carbs and possible doing something with the exhaust. Honestly, when I want to get around a car quickly, I enjoy zipping past. I have also thought that a 1100 would be a safer life alternative than having crazy power.

Mattgarr57, I can give you a little perspective about my 2000 st1100. Yeah the roll on power isn't like a true sport bike. My sons Hyabusa beats me everywhere. Taking off from stop light, rolling along together all he has to do is twist the throttle and he is gone. Hi way speed forget it. BUT! I told him not to ride that Suzuki Hyabusa 300 miles to Chicago with me but you know kids won't listen. We had to stop every 100 miles when I did not want to. I was so comfortable and in my grove. The ST1100/1300's are not true sport bikes as they lean toward the touring side of sport touring. They are 650lbs, don't have the right gearing for sportbike work, and the frame geometry is not suited for it. Where these bikes can't be beat is 85 mph on the highway all day long with no fuss or drama. I ride with a bunch of Harley Davidson riders that have bigger and torqier engines than I do but none can out run me. Besides if those sport bike types pass you up and you roll on and can't keep up just smile at em because remember you got that 300 miles tank so you'll be passing all of them as they stop for gas.

I have also thought that a 1100 would be a safer life alternative than having crazy power.

Well there you go. You can't have it both ways, so you need to decide which desirable characteristics you value the most.

I have never found the 1100 to be a slug when asked to get by a semi on the highway. Get the gears down to #3 (or about 4,000 RPM) approaching the rig and then whack it to pass. Pulls strong and hard for me and I can hit triple digit speed (the ton) in no time. Seriously, what more do you need?

Last edited:
I have never had an engine heat issue with the 1100 (unless you leave the glovebox panels out) but the screen is too effective in hot weather, and even vented jackets need some airflow to work. My solution was to use a sporty screen for summer but I can really see the appeal of an adjustable screen like the 1300 has.
IMG_3985.jpg That's exactly what I do is put the stock screen back on in late June and run it through September. Then I put my 22 inch screen back on October and I'm good until next June/July.

I've never had a problem with roll on power and passing, and the one or two times when I felt I needed more, I did one of those unusual maneuvers called downshifting. Funny how that solved the problem. (I confess to never owning a bike with my 1300's power before, and my Guzzie's were not in the same category.)

As far as the heat problem. I experienced it once at a ST rally. It was a hot day, we were doing twisty roads and the riding was spirited. It was pointed out to me that slab riding does not really take much power (comparatively) and my constant downshifting, up shifting and accelerating were what were cranking out the btu's. There have been a number of discussions on this site about the heat issue. You might search for them and read them - but I've only heard them about the 1300, not the 1100. The consensus is that doing what that link says makes maintenance that much more difficult and doesn't solve the problem. Toss in that different people think the heat produced is either a real problem or tolerable or nonexistent and you have a great subject to chew the fat over on a winter's day. The engine will produce the heat it does by burning gasoline and this is removed by the radiator. Any mods are simply going to move the heat around - maybe - and possibly create other problems. I don't think anyone has completely solved the problem, but read the threads and draw your own conclusions.

Any engine can be heated up (so to speak) to produce more power. Read about Doctor John and the Moto Guzzi's. There is a performance shop near me that produces top fuel drag bikes. I've seen supercharged Kawa engines there that crank out enormous numbers of hp (but then they run on fuels other than gasoline). If you really want to get more from a ST, I'm sure you can do it, but it might cost more than its worth. And there might be unforeseen consequences. I remember watching one of those bike chopping TV shows. They made a chopper with an extremely raked out front fork and chinning bar handlebars. During the test ride the guy said it was a shame he had put the gas tank directly in the riders line of sight, and that he was surprised the bike was as stable as it was riding it. Engineering at its finest!

Well there you go. You can't have it both ways, so you need to decide which desirable characteristics you value the most.

I have never found the 1100 to be a slug when asked to get by a semi on the highway. Get the gears down to #3 (or about 4,000 RPM) approaching the rig and then whack it to pass. Pulls strong and hard for me and I can hit triple digit speed (the ton) in no time. Seriously, what more do you need?

i always say the bikes are like golf clubs. No one Golf club does it all, that’s why you need a set. Bikes are the same. Every bike has its own uses and compromises.

Plus one on that.

Back
Top Bottom