CarPlay Devices

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Check with @sirepair - IIRC he has/had a larger tablet /phone? that worked for that.
But then my memory could be wrong! ;)
BTW, I do have an Android smartphone only because my flip phone no longer worked on the networks. :biggrin:
But I only use it for a phone and that on rare occasion .. ;)
If you're looking for a flip phone that's android and rugged (and still a smartphone) take a look at the Cat S22.
For texting it has a small onscreen keyboard if the number pad letter thing isn't your style.

$66.99US amazon.com

1710934295780.png

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I don't have a solution that fits this. I have a Garmin 595lm that is my primary gps, and a Kyocera Duroforce smart phone with Osmand+ that I use as a secondary GPS. Bith of my bikes have dedicated add on TPMS and voltmeter. I'm not running any cameras.
I've thought of using a 7 - 8" tablet but haven't pursued that. The "rugged" units are a bit $$ and screens on the cheaper ones are mostly useless in the sun.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I invested in a Chigee A05-Lite through the Indiegogo startup fund. The Chigee provides Android/Apple Car Play but is also a DVR with front and rear cameras. The rear camera provides Blind Spot Detection. Tire Pressure Monitoring is also available. Chigee are working on a Bluetooth OBD reader which will provide engine and sensor data.

Installed on my BMW K1600GT
2024_03_0338.jpeg

2024_03_0339.jpeg

2024_03_0341.jpeg

Using Siri through my Sena 50 to control Apple Car Play on the Chigee

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't have a solution that fits this. I have a Garmin 595lm that is my primary gps, and a Kyocera Duroforce smart phone with Osmand+ that I use as a secondary GPS. Bith of my bikes have dedicated add on TPMS and voltmeter. I'm not running any cameras.
I've thought of using a 7 - 8" tablet but haven't pursued that. The "rugged" units are a bit $$ and screens on the cheaper ones are mostly useless in the sun.
The Kyocera Duroforce was what I was thinking about. ;)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you're looking for a flip phone that's android and rugged (and still a smartphone) take a look at the Cat S22.
For texting it has a small onscreen keyboard if the number pad letter thing isn't your style.
Don't need a flip one as I've already got a 'Smart phone'.
Fortunately it's not too smart for me ... ;)

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I got one of these interface and It worked ok.
I returned it after three weeks because of the underpowered internal CPU and the slow and sluggish navigation.
A thing to consider is the level of complication that a device like that could brings to your everyday ride.
Bluetooth, WIFI, radio (for the TPMS), that's a lot of connection to check and it could be frustrating.
I wouldn't describe the learning curve especially difficult, but beside the software bugs, and the various hardwares incompatibilities, I feel better without.
My 2 cents.
I am of this mindset as well. I have a Bluetooth enabled controller (Tunai Button available on Amazon) on my bikes to operate the phone which is in the storage compartment. I use a set of Plugfone Bluetooth earpieces for music. I don’t want another screen distracting me while trying to ride. Same in my cars. All my cars are older so I don’t have the distraction of a screen. I definitely don’t want that kind of distraction on the motorcycle. All the cars have aftermarket BT and that works fine for me.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
The way I look at these interfaces is if you want the ideal performance in a certain function, buy a dedicated device for that purpose.
Camera system for camera, GPS for directions, TPMS for tires, thermometer for temps and a comms hooked to your phone for voice / music.

If you really feel you need to read incoming texts while driving, then sure these carplay / android auto devices are handy and do offer a compact solution, but they certainly seem to be a huge distraction device on a vehicle that doesn't lend itself well to being distracted on. They may also sacrifice some functionality or simultaneous viewing that multiple function specific devices would accomplish better, albeit with a larger overall footprint.
You can't read anything while moving. It doesn't let you. The fact that Quadlock mounts for phones exist and that's not going to get the same scrutiny is interesting to me because you can use the full functionality while in motion.

The CarPlay/Android Auto units connect to your phone and to your helmet com. They provide navigation through whatever directions app you like to use, let you take or make a phone call without interrupting that (your directions will still talk to you through the com on the phone), and will read your texts to you rather than let you read them. I'd hazard that it's far less distracting than having a TPMS unit, a phone mount, a Garmin, and a camera set all clamped around the handlebars and dash.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
My question about the device is will it allow you to load routes like a 'regular' GPS and are there any limitations on that aspect of it.
You're just asking about GPX files, right? If you use Google Maps, you can save the GPX file in Google Drive, then just open it from the Google Maps app on the device, since it's relaying from your phone.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'd hazard that it's far less distracting than having a TPMS unit, a phone mount, a Garmin, and a camera set all clamped around the handlebars and dash.
It almost appears that some here, believe a rider is incapable of prioritizing and focusing on conditions, traffic, signage, and operating the motorbike without paying constant attention to or being captivated by all the gadgets we may or may not have. I'm personally not fiddling with electronics, cameras, or the mystical and fascinating BMW WonderWheel while traveling or operating my vehicles.
In my case, I find I am quite capable of prioritizing my vision and attention to things that matter, like keeping the rubber side down and staying out of the ditches.
And I'm not singling out any particular comment or individual.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You're just asking about GPX files, right? If you use Google Maps, you can save the GPX file in Google Drive, then just open it from the Google Maps app on the device, since it's relaying from your phone.
I was asking about this device specifically - for the future and others looking at it.
I was thinking there was some issue with using GPX with Google Maps and lots of waypoints but I could be wrong about waypoints.
My current standalone GPS uses .kml files for routing and I am perfectly happy with them.
Since I already have my 4 ST1100s set up with Senas for com and GPS, TPMS, MP3 players (and video if I want) I'm fine.
The TPMS monitor is very small (with blinking light/alarm if problems), the MP3 players are in the trunk, so the only 'real estate' in use is the 5 inch GPS.
My smartphone stays turned off and in the trunk most of the time. :biggrin:
But I am always looking at technology to see if 'new' is better - sometimes yes, sometimes no. ;)

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
The way I look at these interfaces is if you want the ideal performance in a certain function, buy a dedicated device for that purpose.
Camera system for camera, GPS for directions, TPMS for tires, thermometer for temps and a comms hooked to your phone for voice / music.

If you really feel you need to read incoming texts while driving, then sure these carplay / android auto devices are handy and do offer a compact solution, but they certainly seem to be a huge distraction device on a vehicle that doesn't lend itself well to being distracted on. They may also sacrifice some functionality or simultaneous viewing that multiple function specific devices would accomplish better, albeit with a larger overall footprint.
Controlling all those individual devices, instead of all from one location. ?!!!!!
Our something similar

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Controlling all those individual devices, instead of all from one location. ?!!!!!
I guess I live a simple life - I turn my TPMS on, my MP3 player on and GPS comes up by itself as soon as I start the ST1100.
Then I do have to turn them off when I stop ... ;)
I don't even want a phone to be pestering me when I'm riding - or any other time for that matter!:biggrin:

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I was asking about this device specifically - for the future and others looking at it.
I was thinking there was some issue with using GPX with Google Maps and lots of waypoints but I could be wrong about waypoints.
My current standalone GPS uses .kml files for routing and I am perfectly happy with them.
Since I already have my 4 ST1100s set up with Senas for com and GPS, TPMS, MP3 players (and video if I want) I'm fine.
The TPMS monitor is very small (with blinking light/alarm if problems), the MP3 players are in the trunk, so the only 'real estate' in use is the 5 inch GPS.
My smartphone stays turned off and in the trunk most of the time. :biggrin:
But I am always looking at technology to see if 'new' is better - sometimes yes, sometimes no. ;)
Google Maps allows direct import of .kml files as well. I don't believe it has a waypoint limit issue when imported that way. I know there's a roundabout way to do it with Apple Maps too, but I've never really used them in this way. As long as they work with your mapping app of choice on your phone, it will work with the device.

Mine doesn't have TPMS or camera support, but I know the one linked earlier does. And it links to the Sena on my helmet, so I have traditional coms, music/podcasts from my phone through the CarPlay, calls through my phone through the CarPlay, Nav through the CarPlay, TPMS through the CarPlay through my phone if I download an app for compatible monitors, and so on. The only "real estate" becomes the 5" screen on the CarPlay.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
If I were going to use one of these, I would want it to be able to display the views from the Sena 50C and the HaloCam M1 apps on my iPhone.

Also, my TPMS uses a display, not a phone app. Will my existing TPMS senders work with them? Will any of these devices do all of these things?

Top Bottom