Carrying an ST1100 on a Trailer

Does anyone have any advice on how best to strap down an ST1100 to carry it on a trailer. It's been easy on every other bike I've owned since you just throw the hooks on the handlebars and ratchet strap it down but you can't get to the bars on the ST1100. The rear is no problem thanks to the handles on the back but I'm stumped on how to strap down the front without putting pressure on the plastics.

Bike
ST1100 Std '98
STOC #
Just strap to the bottom of the tripple clamp. Need to strap the right to the left side of the lower and the left side to the right. Just cross over and done.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I did a combination of the last two posts when I brought mine home
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364478726.062564.jpg
The previous owner convinced me to attach a strap to the rear grab handle and I really wished I hadn't. It left a permanent mark on the soft rubber that covers the handles. If you tie to the tip over bars and triple tree it will be rock solid.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Schlep's right; take the tip-over covers off (one screw) to access the tip-over bars. Use 4 straps, 2 one each side, at about 30-45? angle. You may also want one to locate the rear wheel.

Bike
BMW 2019 R1250 RT
STOC #
Don't use the metal hooks, purchase a set of soft strap extensions and use the triple clamp cross over method suggested by NaplesRider.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Don't use the metal hooks, purchase a set of soft strap extensions and use the triple clamp cross over method suggested by NaplesRider.
Good point! Since i don't trailer often and am too cheap to buy the strap extensions, for the tip over wings, I ran the free end of my ratchet straps through the loop that was sewn in the other end for the hook. That way there was no metal touching the bike. I doubled the straps back to the trailer over the triple clamp. I had 6 straps on mine (7 counting the unnecessary one on the grab handle) which really was overkill but I was hauling it 3-4 hours and didn't want it going anywhere!

Last edited:
Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
If you go with the Canyon Dancers be sure to understand that you don't have to tighten them down until the handlebars start to bend. Just tighten them until the bike is stable. Also, be sure to check them at every stop to make sure everything is still safe and secure.

Good luck with however you choose to go.

Bike
ST 1300
Just a word of advice about canyon dancers...I'm not sure about the 1100 but the 1300 has aluminum handlebars and all I have read says do not use canyon dancers on a 1300. There is not a lot of give in the bars before they will break. After trailering mine about 11000 miles so far I can tell you the front tie down spot is the tip over bar location. One screw and you have it off. I do not want to offend anyone about using the canyon dancer strap but I will not use it. Another tip is to run as much gas as possible out of the bike to lower the center of gravity just a little bit, and on the 1300 I always lower the windshield.

Bike
ST 1300
Also if you have a trailer with a full ramp check your angle before you load so you don't scrape the bottom of the bike. I use a 5X8 utility trailer and have a secondary ramp to decrease the angle getting the bike onto the trailer, if I can't find a small hill to back up to. Does that make any sense?...lol

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
For the ST1300 I use and recommend around the top of the triple tree and then just use the frame for the rear. Frame, not passenger grab handles, they are plastic.

When i brought home the remains of the '04 that was forced off the road, I left it on the trailer in my back yard and removed my straps from the triple tree and placed them on the tip-over bars. Since the bike was totaled, it's not like I had anything to worry about... I then removed the rear straps so it was just the tip-over straps holding it on the trailer. Climbed aboard and tried to rock the bike over... it held... but not nearly as strong as the top of the triple tree.

If you plan to trailer it more then once it's highly recomended to get a wheel chock you can mount on the trailer. Harbor freight has one that works good for both use on the trailer and as a parking spot at home.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Chock or strap the front wheel.
Same for the rear wheel.
Take off only ONE of the tip over covers (I forget which side) and strap to the exposed frame. One of the tip over covers has a steel loop of the frame used for locking the bike up.
You can also strap to the passenger grab handles for additional safety.

This method will be very secure... I did it with mine for well over 1500 miles.
The security loop is on the right hand side tip over bar.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Just strap to the bottom of the tripple clamp. Need to strap the right to the left side of the lower and the left side to the right. Just cross over and done.
Having tied down my rigs on a number of ferries and train cars I concur totally! And on the rear I simply use the passenger rails, pushing down the carrier stay/rear end eases applying the tie downs there. 4 straps forming an X with the bike in the center gives a rock steady support.

I did a combination of the last two posts when I brought mine home
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364478726.062564.jpg
The previous owner convinced me to attach a strap to the rear grab handle and I really wished I hadn't. It left a permanent mark on the soft rubber that covers the handles. If you tie to the tip over bars and triple tree it will be rock solid.
what size trailer is that? :)

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
Do not leave the side stand down. Do not leave the bike in gear. Triple clamps if you can.. Some do not like canyon dancer I have found them helpful if you do not over tighten. I like to use Pro tapper Tie downs. They are pricey but worth every penny. but four points of contact is best

Drive a bit then re tighten.

https://www.protaper.com/category/37/accessories/tie-downs
http://www.canyondancer.com/ Careful with these you can damage you bar if you crank them down hard.

Leaving the side stand down can cause damage. If you hit bumps the bouncing up and down of the trailer etc.. Some say the bike suspension will absorb it.. Why risk it.
Leaving it gear can cause damage with acceleration and braking. The back and forth could cause damage. Good luck...

Last bit of advise. zip tie or tape the excess of the tie down.. I can't tell you how many times I see straps flapping in the wind.. It will scratch the fairing or worse get caught on something...

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
This is how we tied my ST to bring her home.
20200602_185255.jpg

I worried a bit about the handle bars, but the previous owner, who helped me to tie it, told me he did it many times, with different ST over the years.
I used heavy duty ratchet straps. We made a turn and half around each handle bars, on the inside side of the master cylinders. We were cautious not to squeeze the hoses. We also put a folded rag, between the fairing and the ratchet strap. It worked.

The only place were it left a mark, was on the rear. On the rubber of the rear handle. We probably overtight those knots, or we ratcheted those straps a bit too much.

Note the cable around the rear wheel, to prevent the bike from moving forward.
I drove on high way, for two hours and half, without any problems. Of course, I made a few stops to make sure everything was still tight enough, but not too much. We compress the suspension a bit, at maybe two third, so it was still able to work a bit, not much. All the suspension work was to be made by the trailer and the towing vehicule.

I'm not saying it's the best method. But it worked for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom