Carrying water for camping on the ST

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I'm looking into outfitting the 13 for multiday remote camping where there's no water available. I've been researching how to carry a good quantity of water, say 4-5 gallons. Every method has its pros and cons so wondering how others have dealt with this situation and what kind of container(s) works best. A foldable/collapsible container seems like a good idea so there's less bulk for the ride home. I've been looking at these two ideas, either two collapsible cubes or 4 of the bags. 41I4v3h5H-L._AC_.jpg61oQfg0fi7L._AC_SX569_.jpg

The cubes would need to be strapped down to the pillion seat and on to the luggage area behind the seat. They sit up pretty high, around 11" so the duffels would need to be strapped on top of them. The bags could be tossed in their own duffel for a lower slung cargo pack, maybe even a couple tossed in the side bags.

Any thoughts / experiences with this?

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
That old don't put all your eggs in one basket... don't put all your water in one container is good practice.

Not far in the past I packed way more than was needed. On the passenger pegs are one US gallon jugs, in the tank bag is a 2 liter bladder and there is a full spare in the trunk. I was consuming about 1 gallon for an overnight. The 2 liter could easily be 3 liter and that's closer to your number of 5 gallons. There was a strong breeze that blew the big girl over and melted one gallon jug about 1/2 way down. No big deal, just picked up another full one at the next stop.

Now I pack light enough that the whole bottom bag on the pillion seat could be water... 40 liters. I won't be trying that.

IMG_3035.jpeg

Bike
2010 ST1300
Spend your money on a filter and fill up containers at your last gas stop before camping. Or only stay at camping places with water.

I've seen a couple of ST's outfitted with a trailer hitch that's been modified to carry a platform. A cooler for beer was strapped to it. However, 5 gallons of water weighs 40# and that's a lot to put all the way aft.

OP
OP
Hondafarian

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Just for context, I'm referring to back country camping in California where it no longer rains and water is scarce as political integrity. Carrying water in is a necessity for many locations. Here's a picture of my favorite. Most of it's attraction for me is so few people go here because it's BLM land with no services. It's a tough commodity to find in over-populated SoCal. Just to the right or north runs the San Andreas fault. I like to be rocked to sleep in my tent. :tent3:

IMG_3390.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
Get a custom made bladder for the side cases and fill it up. Carry your clothes n gear in duffel bags on the pillion seat. Of course, 40 lbs in the side cases will wreck them, so maybe the answer is a small trailer?

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've developed a fancy for these. Even in the petrol flavor, should I decide to go deep into the wilderness.

Of course I don't see how best to attach either to a 1300. Nor do I have plans for that wilderness adventure... yet

I've traveled with the cube, but always carried it empty an filled at or near my campsite destination. I've toyed with carrying a full one, but as you already appreciate, on their own they're too wobbly to just set on the seat and strap down, even with a cargo net, IMO. Like you, I felt they were best enclosed in a more rigid box or duffle of some kind.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide and post pictures please.

Last edited:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I've developed a fancy for these. Even in the petrol flavor, should I decided to go deep into the wilderness.

Of course I don't see how best to attach either to a 1300. Nor do I have plans for that wilderness adventure... yet
I can see where one could stack two on the pillion.

Bike
2013 ST1300A
Why carry so much weight on your motorcycle? Do you really need that much water? It seems to me like you are trying to turn a lovely agile touring motorcycle into a 2-wheel lumbering RV. Just IMHO.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Why carry so much weight on your motorcycle? Do you really need that much water? It seems to me like you are trying to turn a lovely agile touring motorcycle into a 2-wheel lumbering RV. Just IMHO.
I agree completely. But it probably doesn’t amount to more than a pillion.Get a cute enough companion & camping is probably out of the question. Win - Win.

Desert camping, dispersed camping you will have to carry a 5 g jug. I would carry whatever would strap down good on the pillion. Or remove my top trunk and attach a tank instead.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just for context, I'm referring to back country camping in California where it no longer rains and water is scarce as political integrity. Carrying water in is a necessity for many locations. Here's a picture of my favorite. Most of it's attraction for me is so few people go here because it's BLM land with no services.

IMG_3390.jpg
You answered your own question. It looks like you figured out why it's not being used for much.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you expect to carry water for any distance, the Rotopax @STRider suggested is mandatory - or a similar type of heavy walled container. Bouncing, strap abrasion, etc. on a flexible container will lead to a rupture. If you go off road - gravel or dirt - the washboard surface that is inevitable will make short work of virtually any other container.

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
If you aren't carrying a pillion, could you fabricate a box/enclosure that attaches down to the bike in place of the rear seat, similar to the Corbin Smuggler? That would keep the weight where the pillion would normally be, and off the rear rack.

Here's a pic of the underside from Saddlemen's website: https://saddlemen.com/image/catalog/data/product-spec/12580.jpg

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Interesting. What kind of container do you use? And is it any problem with weight since 2 gallons would be pushing the limit?
With two gallons in each side, it is hardly noticeable. I prefer the containers with sealed screw type tops, bottle tops, the blue top. Because the pull top one shown below can leak. If one container leaks it’s only one gallon or less.

CB355249-98B9-4C88-8364-8579A37BE2ED.jpeg611E988E-A42F-4DBD-81A1-19A47C55DC02.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom