Carrying water for camping on the ST

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
hmm, water is heavy, and we've learned to place heavy stuff centered/forward on the motorcycle...

why not use a dromedary bag and place that at the bottom of the tank-bag?
One can even attach a hydration tube on the cap...

BTW I'd add some water storage treatment (RV & boating stores) for first cleaning and prevent spoiling...

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Just for context, I'm referring to back country camping in California where it no longer rains and water is scarce as political integrity. Carrying water in is a necessity for many locations. Here's a picture of my favorite. Most of it's attraction for me is so few people go here because it's BLM land with no services. It's a tough commodity to find in over-populated SoCal. Just to the right or north runs the San Andreas fault. I like to be rocked to sleep in my tent. :tent3:

IMG_3390.jpg
I get it. I'm in Auburn-NorCal.........however.....we are getting our miracle as we speak. December 2022 has just about filled my 5 gallon Napa Auto Parts bucket! Woo-hoo.....Pretty sure I can ride more Summer 2023 because of all this rain protecting the property :)

Been meaning to write a follow up to this thread. Ended up ordering 4 of these collapsible 5L bags. One each fit very nicely in each pannier. Did a test one night camp out hauling all 4 full. I knew I wouldn’t need that much water but wanted to test packing and weight on the bike. Learned a lot about remote camping from the bike as I was new to this experience. The water bags themselves worked great in camp but my packing had room for improvement.300C6224-4E20-4901-9ECA-A187825A137B.jpeg72E3C1B7-7D00-4A4E-A8E6-1366FA296F81.jpeg5DC45E02-F7AB-4DB3-80FC-00FB81AD4FD5.jpeg
Two in the panniers. The other two in the purple ruck sac on the pillion seat?

OP
OP
Hondafarian

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Two in the panniers. The other two in the purple ruck sac on the pillion seat?
Yup. Somehow they didn't fit correctly in the dry bag I had intended so grabbed the hideous purple backpack everyone abandoned and tossed them in there. o_O

I get it. I'm in Auburn-NorCal.........however.....we are getting our miracle as we speak. December 2022 has just about filled my 5 gallon Napa Auto Parts bucket! Woo-hoo.....Pretty sure I can ride more Summer 2023 because of all this rain protecting the property :)
I haven't been able to ride lately because we've been busy building an ark! The back country creek flow and wild flower bloom is going to be epic this year.

Top Bottom