Catalytic Converter delete

Bike
2002 ST1300A
Aren't there catalytic converters in the downpipe too? On the lower part, directly under the footpegs.

I've also heard an urban legend, that catalytic converters wear out after some mileage (100k miles??), and become ineffective of their main purpose. But that's still an urban legen for me - is it any true? :think1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm not crazy about the look of the ST's mufflers though I've grown to appreciate them a little more after seeing the factory offerings on a lot newer bikes. Monstrosities the lot.

After hearing sound clips of various aftermarket mufflers there's little motivation to "enhance" the ST's sound. I don't know the V-4 lends itself to the same visceral tones of say my old 750-K4.

So purely for aesthetics it might be worth the effort to replace the STockers with some elegant reverse cone megaphones like

or even

The first are replicas of the Paul Dunstall mufflers on my 750-K4 and the second are Contis like those on my 750 Duc Sport. Were these even feasible options I'd pass if it meant losing the cat. I don't know how either would sound on the ST assuming they didn't hurt performance. But each were musical instruments on my aforementioned bikes.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I've also heard an urban legend, that catalytic converters wear out after some mileage (100k miles??), and become ineffective of their main purpose. But that's still an urban legend for me - is it any true? :think1:
All Catalytic Converters have a service life, no matter what it is. The ceramic honeycomb cracks, the precious metal plating looses it effectiveness, etc. Nothing lasts forever.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Knowing the EOSL of a converter isn't much of an issue for cars because of state mandated emissions checks. Except failing such a check is a tough way to find out you need a new converter. Or car.

I don't know of any state (not that it means much) that requires converters on motorcycles. This might make it a challenge to get a bike 'smogged' with the end being knowing the EOSL beyond a guess – educated or otherwise. But it's not like any of us would / could replace the converter when it fails. My ST's converter will outlive me.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Knowing the EOSL of a converter isn't much of an issue for cars because of state mandated emissions checks. Except failing such a check is a tough way to find out you need a new converter. Or car.

I don't know of any state (not that it means much) that requires converters on motorcycles. This might make it a challenge to get a bike 'smogged' with the end being knowing the EOSL beyond a guess – educated or otherwise. But it's not like any of us would / could replace the converter when it fails. My ST's converter will outlive me.
I was watching a documentary on Honda when they were getting into the American car market. The cat was a last resort for them. If California emission requirements are strict enough, that's why the cats would be there, or something like this. I have seen motorcycles that are California approved (I think I ride one).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was watching a documentary on Honda when they were getting into the American car market. The cat was a last resort for them. If California emission requirements are strict enough, that's why the cats would be there, or something like this. I have seen motorcycles that are California approved (I think I ride one).
Yes, I think it was the CVCC engine that went into production with the MY 1973 Civic that passed emissions without thermal reactors or catalytic convertors downstream of the engine. CVCC development.

I don't think Honda has sold a new-to-US market model separate 49 state and California bike in the USA for at least the life of the ST1300. There might have been some models being sold prior to 2003 that grandfathered in but the ST1300 was designed to pass EU emissions which at the time were more stringent than any in the USA.

thekaz

haz gone feral
If you believe in climate change or not there is no denying that the air quality in major North American cities is hugely improved from the ‘70s to 2000, catalytic converters have large role to play in that progress. I am sure you will just dismiss it as more fake news but you’d be wrong.
well the the debate of which caused the most improvement , renewal of the general populations fleet ( less carbs more fuel injection ) or emissions is a fun one for sure ..... don't forget I work in the big bus industry and it is a constant conversation ;) ..... so far the best question I have heard is would far better fuel economy cause less emissions alone ? my personal question is why do we not consider the lifetime emissions of a vehicle instead of the snap shot tests currently being used ?

Top Bottom