Cats being cats

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My wife's cats. I just pay the bills around here...
She said "One's not enough. He needs a friend so he won't be bored."
Smokey and Bandit.jpg

Then somehow there were three. What da hell?

"Hey guys - I think this is a tree. Aren't we s'posed to be doing something...? Climb it? Chew it? Wow! Check out this smell!"
Cats Christmas tree 2020.jpg

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
My wife's cats. I just pay the bills around here...
She said "One's not enough. He needs a friend so he won't be bored."
Smokey and Bandit.jpg

Then somehow there were three. What da hell?

"Hey guys - I think this is a tree. Aren't we s'posed to be doing something...? Climb it? Chew it? Wow! Check out this smell!"
Cats Christmas tree 2020.jpg
Hmmmmm... the two white ones could be Lancelot's long-lost kinfolk (kin-cats? kin-felines? maybe just "kin"). But I don't think he's ever been to Alabama, and he was persuaded long ago to be an "it" cat... but the similarity in markings is pretty striking.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Hmmmmm... the two white ones could be Lancelot's long-lost kinfolk (kin-cats? kin-felines? maybe just "kin"). But I don't think he's ever been to Alabama, and he was persuaded long ago to be an "it" cat... but the similarity in markings is pretty striking.
All of 'em are from local shelters, and these too, will never reproduce.
Bandit on the far left is only black and white; Reecie (like Reece's pieces) has orange, grey and black but's mostly white. Looks like she wandered under the caramel pump while a barista was making a machiotta at some latte station.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
"Better cats than rats" I've said that for many years and I have always kept a shop cat to keep the vermin in check. For my lifestyle, cats fit well but dogs are too much work and commitment. Great company when you take a break and sit down for a few minutes.

Bilbo Baggins : our wise old shop cat. Smart enough to avoid coyotes and the highway for over 16 years now. He got his name from the empty "marble bag" that was left from his neuter operation before being delivered to my shop. It is thought that his crooked ear may have been burned as a kitten. Always verbal, always hungry for attention or food but good company in the shop or outside. Definitely an all star mouser!

Bilbo MRC2.jpg

Frodo the Halfling: A genuine Manx cat with a tiny bump and a fluff of fur for a tail, he is our indoor cat. Their traits make them the best companions. Manx cats are the most dog-like of any cat breeds, exceptionally smart, easily trainable, walks well on a leash, travels well and very sociable with strangers. Mostly silent with the tiniest squeak of a voice and a 12 pack of abdominal spots, he is the coolest brown tabby you could ever meet. Does your cat spit or hiss on command like Mr. Frodo can? How many cats take commands to "sit-stay-come" as directed? I've lost count of how many tricks that I've taught him but at least close to twenty. Give him the right size box and he becomes an attack turtle on command! He is my second Manx I've taken in and I am now convinced that, for Della and me, only Manx will be considered for adoption as indoor cats in the future. Certainly not the typical, boring house cat.

As a juvenile, he was quite the jumper - lots of full air pics
flying frodo3 crpd.JPG

They don't visit each other often but when they do, there is never any fighting or bad behavior.
Frodo.jpgFrodo3.jpg

Attachments

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
<SNIP>
He is my second Manx I've taken in and I am now convinced that, for Della and me, only Manx will be considered for adoption as indoor cats in the future. Certainly not the typical, boring house cat.
<SNIP>
Manx's are awesome cool cats.
My uncle had one that scared the crap out of big dogs, and he would chase neighborhood German Shepherds out of the yard with their tails between their legs. Of course, the Manx had no tail. And had no fear. He looked just like a small bobcat.
I think he just wanted to play with the dogs, but they wanted nothing to do with him.

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
The cat in my avatar, a former feral and last chance for adoption cat, Harvey The RV Cat (@thervcat on facebook). He's about 6 years old
50070740_10212810652802909_2525066596792139776_o.jpg

And his 18 month old adopted brother Chmee (Formerly Speaker To Animals)
Chmee Sink 3.jpg

Them enjoying the Catio...
20220924_120051.jpg

Reactions: Obo

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
"Better cats than rats" I've said that for many years and I have always kept a shop cat to keep the vermin in check. For my lifestyle, cats fit well but dogs are too much work and commitment. Great company when you take a break and sit down for a few minutes.

Bilbo Baggins : our wise old shop cat. Smart enough to avoid coyotes and the highway for over 16 years now. He got his name from the empty "marble bag" that was left from his neuter operation before being delivered to my shop. It is thought that his crooked ear may have been burned as a kitten. Always verbal, always hungry for attention or food but good company in the shop or outside. Definitely an all star mouser!

Bilbo MRC2.jpg

Frodo the Halfling: A genuine Manx cat with a tiny bump and a fluff of fur for a tail, he is our indoor cat. Their traits make them the best companions. Manx cats are the most dog-like of any cat breeds, exceptionally smart, easily trainable, walks well on a leash, travels well and very sociable with strangers. Mostly silent with the tiniest squeak of a voice and a 12 pack of abdominal spots, he is the coolest brown tabby you could ever meet. Does your cat spit or hiss on command like Mr. Frodo can? How many cats take commands to "sit-stay-come" as directed? I've lost count of how many tricks that I've taught him but at least close to twenty. Give him the right size box and he becomes an attack turtle on command! He is my second Manx I've taken in and I am now convinced that, for Della and me, only Manx will be considered for adoption as indoor cats in the future. Certainly not the typical, boring house cat.

As a juvenile, he was quite the jumper - lots of full air pics
flying frodo3 crpd.JPG

They don't visit each other often but when they do, there is never any fighting or bad behavior.
Frodo.jpgFrodo3.jpg
Check out the folks at Kitty Holster, Best cat harness on the market. Harvey has 6 of them...

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Late July of '21 we got back home from our Maine trip and Frodo was obviously depressed. Lethargic, sleeping more than normal, not much interest in playing or doing anything - total change in personality after losing all of the windows of camp. Della had brought up the idea of a kitten several times over the years but this was looking to be the only real cure for Frodo's depression. So, in September '21, after finding a listing for Manx kittens at a shelter, we brought home "Levi" who was quickly renamed Smeagol for his gangly, long legged, crouchy walk/run. And yes, the young boy was all ears! We even kicked around the idea of calling him "Radar" due to those big ears that move about independently like radar dishes.

IMG_20210919_091111~2.jpg

Frodo immediately became more active and started having fun about 2-3 days in with his new company. Sometimes the activity was forced on him but they quickly became the best buds and chase about daily for healthy exercise.

P9171900alt.JPG

What's the biggest drawback of a Manx kitten? It has to be that naked butt hole staring back at you like a one eyed monster! Fortunately, with age comes fur and it is unseen these days.

P9281998alt.JPG

June '22 we made another 1,500 mile trip to Maine with both cats. Smeagol's first road trip had a few minor glitches but he learns quickly and they both really liked the window hammock that I built for them. Traveling with these boys is as easy as cat transport could possibly be with cats. Smeagol has now outgrown Frodo. He finally fits into his ears and long legs.

Hammock riders.jpg

Top Bottom