Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
HMMMMM
IMG_3890.jpeg

Yep you guessed it, 2/3s light. I made it up with Marvels Mystery Oil. I thought my oil was low last time so I used the cup to fill each quart.

Manufacturers please charge me a bit more for the full amount, it's better than me looking for something to make up the difference.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Couple of things to check. I've double checked my measuring cups - and some of the cheaper plastic one's have been off a bit. What does the container say? I've seen some liquids sold by the liter and the mfr makes no bones about selling less than a quart or gallon.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
was that one quart a fluke, or did you have multiple quarts that were low by that amount?

the US standard for a 32 fl oz. container is a max of 1 fl oz. low, yours appears to be 4 fl oz low.

Capture.JPG

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
It is a 4quart container labeled as 1 gallon. I had filled 3 quarts prior to that one being short. I added the 2/3 cup to make the difference and .1 quart to get the Honda spec. The Honda gauge says we are on full. I agree it could be a lot of things but if I filled 2/3 cup to much the site glass should show heavy, yes?

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
was that one quart a fluke, or did you have multiple quarts that were low by that amount?

the US standard for a 32 fl oz. container is a max of 1 fl oz. low, yours appears to be 4 fl oz low.

Capture.JPG
So with for quarts they are giving me more than they "have" to...:rolleyes:

This reminds me of an oil purchase incident I experienced. I buy oil in one gallon containers (and sometimes in "five quart" containers).

Went to Wallyworld and bought a gallon container of motor oil. Came home, drained the oil, then went to fill it up with new oil.

I was shocked to discover, when I opened the "new" container, it was used oil.

Someone had changed their oil, drained the used oil into the new container, then took it back for a refund. Customer service said it was a "new trend" happening.

So whenever I buy oil now, I always open the cap to check to see if the seal is in place.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is a 4quart container labeled as 1 gallon. I had filled 3 quarts prior to that one being short. I added the 2/3 cup to make the difference and .1 quart to get the Honda spec. The Honda gauge says we are on full. I agree it could be a lot of things but if I filled 2/3 cup to much the site glass should show heavy, yes?
There are many threads on how variable the Honda gauge seems to be. Filled to the top then showing lower after a good ride or filled to top then overfilled the next eyeball check.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
It is a 4quart container labeled as 1 gallon. I had filled 3 quarts prior to that one being short.
I see, the underfill spec for a gallon is 2.5fl oz, so it appears that maybe you got shorted a bit, but not as bad as I first thought (I didn't think that looked like a quart container in the photo, but you didn't specify in the OP). However, maybe your measuring cup is a little off, or when you filled the first 3 quarts you were just a hair over on each of those pours. Seems close enough to the spec given the way you poured it out in stages.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Funny how the variance favors the vendor...........

I purchased a 1.2 kilo package of beef ribs at Costco and then weighted it at home. The box, the plastic wrapper and the ribs themselves weight a total of 900 grams........... 300 gr. short of what the uncooked ribs by themselves should have weighted. No hassle at Costco, I just returned the 2 packages to them for a refund. A month later, I noticed the same ribs for sale in the meat section of the store.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Funny how the variance favors the vendor..........
Not always. I'm fond of a particular 'dunking' type cookie. The label says 680 grams. I've weighed the full container, subtracted the empty weight and the net wt of cookies has varied from 742 grams to 671 over 30 packages. The weights overwhelmingly are well over the minimum and closer to 700. (No, I've not run an average, my compulsiveness has limits. I do record the weights on the plastic lid.....)
It is a 4quart container labeled as 1 gallon. I had filled 3 quarts prior to that one being short. I added the 2/3 cup to make the difference and .1 quart to get the Honda spec.
Sounds like a rather imprecise way to measure the oil in that gallon container. I'm no longer sure you were shorted significantly.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Funny how the variance favors the vendor...........
yeah, I wonder about that myself. The tolerances allowed by the US standards would seem to be beyond what you'd expect for "production tolerances". I'm pretty sure modern production equipment could put 128 oz of motor oil into a container and be able to measure it to within a couple tenths of an oz, but I've never worked in that business so I don't know for sure.

Seems like a tolerance of 2.5 oz is inviting the mfr to short fill the bottle by 2 oz and be sure that they're always within the 2.5 oz standard.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
While I use MMO in the fuel in all my bikes, you do realize that you just added an unknown type of oil into the oil that your clutch is bathed in right?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Downsizing products instead or or while slightly increasing price has been 'a thing' for a few years now. I noticed it back when ice cream was being sold in 1.75qt instead of .5gal. Not a big deal as it just means I buy an extra so I go home with 1gal+. :D But shorting the container of a product without noting the difference on the outside is just fraud.

Case in point some cookies I buy (part of my balanced ice cream diet) are short by six in a package. I checked several packages a few times. That's no accident. Of course the manufacture might be carefully checking to see that the package is juuuuuust within tolerance so as not to commit fraud. But ethically if not legally selling something as one weight/ item count/capacity or whatever while knowingly taking advantage of an allowed tolerance is fraud. What's ethics got to do with it. (Apologies to Tina.) It's retail Jake.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
This reminds me of an oil purchase incident I experienced. I buy oil in one gallon containers (and sometimes in "five quart" containers).

Went to Wallyworld and bought a gallon container of motor oil. Came home, drained the oil, then went to fill it up with new oil.

I was shocked to discover, when I opened the "new" container, it was used oil.

Someone had changed their oil, drained the used oil into the new container, then took it back for a refund. Customer service said it was a "new trend" happening.

So whenever I buy oil now, I always open the cap to check to see if the seal is in place.
Thanks for waking up some recent memories!!!!
Many automotive replacement parts are sold as assemblies. One example is ABS sensors that come boxed with the sensor, brackets and pigtail harness. My car remained in a local shop for two weeks because they were getting incomplete 'spares' from the distributor. Seems the unscrupulous in the trade are ordering spares kits, removing the sensor then returning them to the distributor as being an 'incorrect' part. Distributor's flunky does not inspect and the incomplete spare goes back in the system. Distributor inspected his stock and found ALL were shop returns and all were missing the sensors. This guy supplies both new car dealership garages and mom and pop operations. Took two weeks to obtain complete replacements. Distributor resumed inspecting returns....a practice they had dropped to save money.
If you collect spare kits for future use, inspect them before you store them away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom